Montreal Impact offseason 2018-19

Blackdude

Impact did mention that they have had options on seven players including all 3 Canadian goalkeepers. Cabrera, Azira, Krolicki and Vargas have also had their option exercised. 

Rod Fanni and Bacary Sagna's options haven't been extended, but they are still negotiating with them. 

As mentioned earlier, Béland-Goyette, Salazar and Fisher won't be back. David Choinière will get a training camp invite though.

They didn't mention who on their roster is already under contract. I think Bush, Amarikwa and Mancosu are the only 3 who are out of contract from what I know. So, the players who weren't mentioned are probably all under contract.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand why Cabrera was extended at 270k a year unless they think they can trade him. He was injured most of the season and has never been worth his salary even when not injured.

As for Diop, he looked good the few times we saw him this year which is what he should be judged on, definitely a pretty good level for a backup keeper. The Galaxy were the worst team in the league in 2017 so it is not surprising that their keeper looked poor. I do agree Crepeau should move on though unless Bush is not re-signed. Diop only played in the VC games and friendlies last year so even if Crepeau beats him for the backup position he probably will not get much playing time.

Not impressive..most recently played 3 games in Malaysia with Corbin-Ong and got pulled out every time then got replaced by other foreigners..of course that was on the top team in the country and expectations were very high but hes bounced around a bunch of countries and most of the time wasnt successful..hopefully not on a high salary and a type of we'll give you a shot and lets see what you can do

https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/football/2018/06/02/jdt-sign-marquez-looking-to-snap-up-another-argentine/

https://www.foxsportsasia.com/football/asian-football/malaysia-super-league/894582/jdt-sign-argentine-fernando-elizari-to-join-marquez/

Patrick Leduc named director of soccer operations. I like him and he seems knowledgeable but the continual hiring of former players/club insiders is always worrying with the Impact and makes one wonder how much independence these people have in their jobs.

https://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2018/12/06/patrick-leduc-named-administrative-director-soccer-operations-impact

12 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Patrick Leduc named director of soccer operations. I like him and he seems knowledgeable but the continual hiring of former players/club insiders is always worrying with the Impact and makes one wonder how much independence these people have in their jobs.

https://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2018/12/06/patrick-leduc-named-administrative-director-soccer-operations-impact

Like Saputo's brother-in-law who is leading the Impact's North American's scout team? 

First small window is tomorrow for four hours

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/12/08/mls-offseason-begins-sunday-when-half-day-trade-window-opens-closes

The confetti will have scarcely completed its descent to the Mercedes-Benz Stadium turf at Saturday's 2018 MLS Cup (8 pm ET | FOX, UniMas, TSN, TVAS) when the first stage of the new offseason begins on Sunday morning.

Starting at 9 am ET, MLS teams will have four hours to begin making new signings or trade players. This represents MLS clubs' first chance to do so since rosters were frozen in mid-September.

While it may be a short window, a lot can happen. For example, last year, the trade of Kei Kamara to the Vancouver Whitecaps and Walker Zimmerman's move to LAFC were both completed during the four-hour stretch.

Once the window closes, no roster adjustments may occur until FC Cincinnati makes its selections in the MLS Expansion Draft on Tuesday. Following that, Free Agency begins later on Tuesday, with the MLS Waiver Drafts and the MLS Re-entry drafts to follow later in December.

Urruti is good but I think anything north of $1M a year is a little steep for what he offers, with all due respect.

Still though, Impact really need production up front. They need a proven MLS scorer, which he is. And if he can add +12 goals (which he can), it's probably money well spent. 

How many forwards who make under $1M score +12 goals in MLS? 

Urruti scored 12 once in 5+ years..purely on scoring Mattocks got 10 this year in less than half the minutes and starts..Hoesen 12..and they are at 400 and 500k..but Urruti can get a number of assists also so more a goal+assist forward than a high and pure goalscorer

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

Urruti scored 12 once in 5+ years..purely on scoring Mattocks got 10 this year in less than half the minutes and starts..Hoesen 12..and they are at 400 and 500k..but Urruti can get a number of assists also so more a goal+assist forward than a high and pure goalscorer

Thanks for that. I didn't actually look into his numbers, but rather just arbitrarily picked +12 goals, because he seemed to score at least that with Dallas.

I think Mattocks was an outlier last season, whereas Urruti I can see putting up those numbers again in the near future.

Hoesen I think was a real bargin for SJ. Like Urruti, I think he can also put such numbers up again. True he is essentially less than half the price of Urruti, but still, Urruti at $1.2M is not so bad, so long as he produces like you'd expect.

Another point to consider is how he'd fit alongside Silva and Piatti. 2 Argentines and a Uruguayan. I think they'll strike up a chemistry very quickly.

1 minute ago, Moldy9 said:

According to this website Bacary Sagna will be back next season signing a one year deal! Yay! One of my favorites. 

https://www.footballfancast.com/mls/revealed-former-arsenal-man-city-star-bacary-sagna-pens-new-contract-with-montreal-impact

He really seemed to add quality to the backline when he came in. This is a good development for the Impact. I think he has the same positive effect on Montreal that Ashley Cole had on the Galaxy.

• 2 weeks later...

According to TVA Sports Alejandro Silva may be on his way out to Olimpia, a Paraguayen outfit he played for a few seasons. According to TVA Sports this would be a record transfer for the Impact. Silva was signed last season on a 3 year contract who’s play after a slow start progressed half way through the season scoring 5 goals and assisting on 11.  

A3093457-FEB6-4C91-BAA0-23512E805DAF.jpeg

The link to the article is below but from what I can see it seems like BS. The president of Olimpia made a statement that if they wanted to transfer guys like Silva back to the club they would need to double the numbers of club members/season ticket holders to afford that. It looks like some media guys are just speculating/creating stories from that statement which seems more like an attempt to increase club membership than a serious offer for Silva. 

https://www.tvasports.ca/2018/12/29/alejandro-silva-retournera-t-il-au-paraguay-1

Archived