Montreal Impact offseason 2018-19

Blackdude

It's that time of the year. 

In: Clément Bayiha, Daniel Kinumbe, Harry Novillo, Maximiliano Urruti, Zachary Brault-Guillard, Orji Okwonkwo

Out: Louis Béland-Goyette, Kyle Fisher, MIchael Salazar, Matteo Mancosu, Maxime Crépeau, Chris Duvall, Alejandro Silva, Quincy Amarikwa, Michael Petrasso, Rod Fanni, Jeisson Vargas

Training camp invite: David Choinière, Émile Legault, Amar Sedjic

Academy players: Jonathan Sirois, Mikale Fontaine

Roster as of now (22 players)

GK (3)  Bush, Pantemis, Diop 
DF (7) Cabrera, Camacho, Diallo, Raitala,  Lovitz, Sagna, Braut-Guillard
MF (8) Bayiha, Azira, Krolicki, Mathieu Choinière, Piatti, Piette, Shome, Taïder, 
FW (4) Novillo, Urruti, Jackson-Hamel, Okwonkwo

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what happened with AJH?  Roughly a year ago,  his scoring rate (based on goals per 90 mins) in MLS was only rivalled by Josef Martinez.  That was when he was utilized exclusively as sub.   I thought of him as a shoe-in for the CMNT.  

Then when he gets starts,  it seems like he falls out of favour. Is this a case of that certain forward who is ideally suited for "late game  fresh legs" duties?  Or is it that he is a guy who can score the easier goals but has trouble with scoring from difficult situations and stages  in the game?

13 hours ago, Free kick said:

So what happened with AJH?  Roughly a year ago,  his scoring rate (based on goals per 90 mins) in MLS was only rivalled by Josef Martinez.  That was when he was utilized exclusively as sub.   I thought of him as a shoe-in for the CMNT.  

Then when he gets starts,  it seems like he falls out of favour. Is this a case of that certain forward who is ideally suited for "late game  fresh legs" duties?  Or is it that he is a guy who can score the easier goals but has trouble with scoring from difficult situations and stages  in the game?

Garde might not be a fan of him. Garde said at the end of the year that AJH likes to receive more than to give or something along those lines. I think it might be because he's done this under other coaches and it worked and now he does it here and it doesn't work because of a different coaching mentality. 

Also in other news, assistant coach Maxence Flachez will leave the club.

Crepeau won’t be back. Rémi Garde made it clear that Bush will be the starter next year (unless they can’t agree on a contract extension) and Crepeau made it clear that he wants to be a starter. On the Loin de s’en foot podcast, he said that nobody from the Impact has seen him play this year and that they will probably pick up his option and then trade him. 

I don’t think the fact that they could be looking for a backup keeper is insulting to him because that’s not a role that he wants. 

4 hours ago, HochelagaFC said:

Crepeau won’t be back. Rémi Garde made it clear that Bush will be the starter next year (unless they can’t agree on a contract extension) and Crepeau made it clear that he wants to be a starter. On the Loin de s’en foot podcast, he said that nobody from the Impact has seen him play this year and that they will probably pick up his option and then trade him. 

I don’t think the fact that they could be looking for a backup keeper is insulting to him because that’s not a role that he wants. 

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but any keeper coming from a lower level with only a handful of MLS games (where he didnt look like a world beater) isnt going to be brought in as a starter.    He is going to have to go somewhere and fight for that job and probably catch a break and run with it before he can be a starter.  If there is a immovable object in front of him its best to go elsewhere, but winning keeper of the year in USL (or NASL)  doesnt guarantee he'll get a fair shake.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but any keeper coming from a lower level with only a handful of MLS games (where he didnt look like a world beater) isnt going to be brought in as a starter.    He is going to have to go somewhere and fight for that job and probably catch a break and run with it before he can be a starter.  If there is a immovable object in front of him its best to go elsewhere, but winning keeper of the year in USL (or NASL)  doesnt guarantee he'll get a fair shake.  

If Bush is re-signed he is about as close to being immovable as one is going to get. He has been with the team for 8 years, been the starter for 4 years, is coming off a season in which he was one of the only reasons the team remained in the playoff hunt, has played most of the time behind shaky defences which I suspect will finally improve this year and he never gets injured. Crepeau like any other keeper trying to break through needs to fight to earn his spot but he is far better off going somewhere he has a much better chance of being given an opportunity and succeeding than in Montreal. Even among the Canadian teams Montreal is by far the worst place for him to have a chance of a breakthrough and I think he is domestic across the league so there would be many other teams where he would have more chance.

5 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I thought Montreal was going to play alot of Canadians this year and it mostly turned out to be just Piette and Shome on the bench. Very few Canadians especially after Garde made the comments regarding the draft.

TBF he gave Petrasso, Edwards and AJH a decent chance, and none of them stood out. 

Bye Mr Richard Legendre. I found he did great stuff for the club and definitely had the government connections. Was also a good mouth piece to disseminate Joeys message to the public. Maybe the most competent of all the execs on the second floor. 

Thank you for your service. 

Archived