2018 CONCACAF Champions League

“When you see that the referees act like clowns, it conditions the game. They do not come with the sense of whistling evenly … When there are Costa Rican referees, there are no good vibes, they come with an arrogance, it does not fit.”

that to me should be a touch line ban for Herrera. If an American or Canadian coach said that they’d be toast.

the irony of this is hilarious though because Mexicans without a doubt are the most arrogant bunch in our region and that comment proves it.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The irony (or one of them, at least) is that this is the same coach who lost his job coaching the Mexican National team because he punched a reporter the day after they won the Gold Cup in 2015. He's probably wishing the police in Philadelphia had been more violent on that occasion so that he wouldn't have to be.

And, I've only just now realized Herrera is in fact the same player with the bad mullet that I was jeering and hurling abuse at from the stands in Toronto back in 1993 when Mexico played Canada in that all-important WCQ match we lost 2-1, if I need any more reason to dislike him.

image.png.3cb5ad3d0ea83981c282f8a779a3530c.png

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Hmmm, a mexican team complaining about bad refs, bias and gamesmanship.  HEHEHHEHEE!!!!  Our italian embelisher was just a bit better than their divers.  They cant say much about that penalty, the ref couldnt have gotten a better look at it, he was  about 20feet away.  

If you look at all levels of the game (domestic, international, europe, North america..etc) :  Given the way penalties are called nowadays, that’s a penalty.   So Herrera doesnt have a leg to stand on.  His teams has to have benefited from similar situation.  

But the bigger issue as far as the game of soccer is concerned is that most penalties i see nowadays are just like that.  Or, the most common is that the attacker find himself all alone chasing a ball on the keeper and the keeper is comes out but doesnt get the bll first so attacked chips it one side so that there is no way the keeper can avoid contact with the attacker.  The attackers doesnt have to dive anymore, they just have to engineer a situation where there is contact and a legitamate foul occurs and a penalty is called.     

I dont even see all that much diving in box like you use to because you can create fouls.  But they are still fouls and they have to be called.  

Herrera has a very poor record as a coach, I think he only won a single league in Mexico of something like 15 plus double seasons. Then a Gold Cup. That is it, he has underperformed consistently at the head of his teams. You could see him confused and desperate last night, he is not a particularly skilled tactician. 

This is of course to TFCs advantage.

BTW, when he punched that reporter, his daughter jumped in and hit another former player and journalist, Luis Garcia. Quite the team, Herrera can't even fight his own battles.

Disappointing performance from TFC as they squander yet another lead on the road in Mexico with a stupid PK given away by Bradley, a ridiculously easy chance missed by Hasler and with the team fortunate not to give away 2 other PK's and an own goal. I am so ashamed of this team, it's ridiculous that they didn't play all 6 Canadians they dressed instead of just 4 of them. Assholes!

(Yes, my tongue is firmly in my cheek and your legs are being pulled the way Pique pulled Dzeko's leg in that other Champions League result from earlier today)

1 hour ago, to70 said:

Reading comments from other sites, sounds like Club America will be pulling for TFC to defeat Chivas.

They are historically the two biggest clubs in Mexico, popularity & historical results-wise, from what I understand, and they have a far bigger rivalry against Chivas than TFC. As well, my understanding is that it's mostly American fans that cheer for their league vs. the Mexican league, the Mexican fans are are more concerned about making sure their own club wins and that their true club rivals don't, rather than worrying about their league vs. the MLS. So what you report doesn't surprise me.

Notably, the headline on the MLS website says "TFC will represent MLS in the CCL final" - yes and no. Yes, they are an MLS club, no they are not representing MLS, they are representing Canada. If we could qualify for this tourney by winning the MLS Cup or Supporters Shield, then I might not nit-pick the point. We are here because we are Canadian champions.

It is conceivably possible one day that TFC would win MLS Cup, Montreal could win the Supporters Shield and Vancouver get the 2nd best record in the league in a particular season, but none of these teams represent "MLS" in the Champions league the following year because Ottawa win the Voyageurs Cup. This is before we get into a situation of a 2nd or 3rd spot for Canada thanks the CPL

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Notably, the headline on the MLS website says "TFC will represent MLS in the CCL final" - yes and no. Yes, they are an MLS club, no they are not representing MLS, they are representing Canada. If we could qualify for this tourney by winning the MLS Cup or Supporters Shield, then I might not nit-pick the point. We are here because we are Canadian champions.

This is a very good point, and one that should not go unnoticed.  There will be a real irony if TFC win, in that it's the first MLS team to win, but they aren't there as an MLS team.  And they wouldn't have qualified for this tournament (as far as I can tell), without the Voyageurs Cup. 

With CPL starting, what is going to happen?  Is it still going to be the Voyageurs Cup champion that goes to CCL?

You can say the same for the American MLS teams as well. The CCL spots are given to USSF and they decide how to appropriate those slots(3 to the MLS and 1 to US Open Cup champion). Technically they are representing the US. It would be interesting if Canada ever got a 2nd slot how would CSA decide on who gets it.

15 hours ago, RJB said:

This is a very good point, and one that should not go unnoticed.  There will be a real irony if TFC win, in that it's the first MLS team to win, but they aren't there as an MLS team.  And they wouldn't have qualified for this tournament (as far as I can tell), without the Voyageurs Cup. 

With CPL starting, what is going to happen?  Is it still going to be the Voyageurs Cup champion that goes to CCL?

Was Dallas representing MLS? They won the US Open Cup (let’s pretend for a moment they didn’t also win the Supporters Shield). Personally I think they represent both the country and the league they play in. If Ottawa were in TFC’s position I would say they are representing Canada and USL, and no doubt USL would be pushing that too. Or in the future a CPL team wins the Voyageurs Cup and goes on to win CCL to be come the first CPL team to win the CCL, would you really say “they aren’t a CPL team that won CCL, they are a Voyageurs Cup champion that won CCL”.

What I am hoping to see is the V-Cup winner getting a direct spot into the Champions League, and the CPL winner going to CONCACAF League. Then, if the CPL winner starts tearing up the League, they can look at giving them a CCL spot.

7 hours ago, Kent said:

Was Dallas representing MLS? They won the US Open Cup (let’s pretend for a moment they didn’t also win the Supporters Shield). Personally I think they represent both the country and the league they play in. If Ottawa were in TFC’s position I would say they are representing Canada and USL, and no doubt USL would be pushing that too. Or in the future a CPL team wins the Voyageurs Cup and goes on to win CCL to be come the first CPL team to win the CCL, would you really say “they aren’t a CPL team that won CCL, they are a Voyageurs Cup champion that won CCL”.

Dallas are eligible for this tournament if they with either the MLS Cup or the MLS Supporters' Shield. TFC (and Vancouver and Montreal) aren't eligible for this tournament via MLS performance, so it's feels a bit strange (even if technically accurate) to say they are "representing" the league when then they are refused entry into a "Champions League" tournament even though they are the champions of the league in question.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived