2018 CONCACAF Champions League

3 hours ago, Blackdude said:

With the dirt infield, I'm pretty sure you can't play at the Skydome. 

True,  i didnt think of that.  They played there before. Three times in fact.  But they added since that time, the full dirt infield instead of just bases area (like it was before). 

in the CCL game, they may have trucked in a temporary natural grass surface. 

I think that i would rather see a good game played in fair conditions in a place like Florida rather than BMO in Feb. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a long time we have used weather as an excuse to not play or to rationalize why we suck. I like the idea of us trying to get past that and just do it. I know there aren't a ton of Canadians on TFC, but let's get used to playing in cold conditions and make that be an advantage when circumstances allow it. Inspire kids to get outside and play in colder temperatures.

alpine skiing, nordic skiing,  and long track speed skating are the only sports (that come to mind) that are contested outdoors in January or February in the kind of weather you get in canada in those months.   And even then, those are the kind of events where seeing them postponed and rescheduled due to climate conditions are common occurances. 

In soccer, there is no advantage to any side in wintery conditions.   Unlike high altitudes or hot and humid condition where the acclimatized side can be advantaged, both teams (in wintery conditions) are capable of dressing properly.  And, when a frozen ball hits you in the face or in the nuts, its gonna feel the same whether you are Canadian, Mexican, American, Honduran etc.  As far as dribbling and controlling the ball in six inches of snow, again, this is not skill that needs to honed and developed because its not going to be proven usefull in 99.999% of the times.  Beach players might be able handle this. 

Soccer is not played (nor meant to be played) in these kind of conditions.  It would be a mockery.   Thats why leagues in Scandinavia and Russia play in the summer months.  And why some leagues on the north part of the European continent will pause the schedule in those months.   Of course,  we will see those one off events of curiousity like those rare WCQ’s played with an orange ball.  But, unlike hot and humid conditions, its never advantaged one side over another.  You wont find any soccer played on any pitch in any canadian neighborhood this time of the year,  so nobody in canada is use to or currently interested in getting use to playing in wintery conditions. 

Sweden qualified for the world cup. Not for the first time.  Russia and Norway have also qualified for world cups in the past.   These are nordic countries.  But its not because of their climate advantge.  Its because of their talent.  Geography and climate and neither impediments (ok maybe a minor impediment) nor advantages for countries in developing talent. 

• 1 month later...

TFC win 2-0 on the road on the first leg against Colorado in the round of 16, despite Vazquez & Altidore playing arguably their worst games in a TFC uniform (which I'll put down to the -15 celsius temperatures). Osorio played the full 90 and had the game winner, also was involved in the build-up on the 2nd goal by Giovinco. Hamilton came on for the last minute of injury time and only touched the ball once - it was an effective touch at least, but he should have come on much earlier IMO. Chapman and Morgan left on the bench and Ricketts and Fraser were not dressed.

47 minutes ago, Kent said:

Did anyone hear what the attendance was last night of the Colorado vs TFC game? I didn't hear it mentioned on the broadcast and can't find it on mlssoccer.com, concacaf.com, or wikipedia.

We never saw one side of the stands but I'd be surprised if it was more than 4000

Other results - Tigres ties Herediano 2-2 in Costa Rica - winner of that will play TFC (barring an incredible TFC collapse at home next week).

Panamanian side Tauro beat Dallas 1-0 in Panama on what looked to be a goalkeeping error by the Dallas keeper. Akindele played the last 11 minutes.

Club America destroyed Saprissa 5-1 (I believe this was also in Costa Rica) while Club Tijuana beat Honduran side Motagua 1-0 in Honduras.

2 hours ago, Zem said:

The game was actually played in Texas because of civil unrest in Honduras

Civil unrest that we do not hear much about on our news because it is a stolen election in which our governments supported and participated in the election fraud and the Canadian government has recognized the results. Just sayin!

Seattle loses 2-1 in El Salvador to Santa Tecla. Seattle didn't bring half their starters even though their GM said they were making this tournament a priority (I guess just not this game a priority). Though not the worst result in the world with the away goal.

NYRB drew 1-1 with CD Olimpia of Honduras in a game played in Costa Rica due to the aforementioned "civil unrest" going on in Honduras that I wouldn't have known about if I wasn't following the Concacaf Champions League more closely this year because TFC are involved. So this was actually an away goal for NYRB even though both sides were away.

If I had to bet, I would say Seattle and New York are probably still moving on to the next round. Dallas is a toss up. But I'm not going to lie, I would kind of find it hilarious if these teams didn't advance. After American teams were given a preferential rule to not be drawn against Mexican teams for several years, I would love it if there teams eventually ended up in the 2nd pot and kept getting drawn against Mexican teams in the first round.

4 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

NYRB drew 1-1 with CD Olimpia of Honduras in a game played in Costa Rica due to the aforementioned "civil unrest" going on in Honduras that I wouldn't have known about if I wasn't following the Concacaf Champions League more closely this year because TFC are involved. 

This is one of the things I think is great about Champions League and international football, that we learn about and at times even travel to countries we would not otherwise know very much about. There should be a lot more interaction and relationship between Canada and Central America and Champions League is at least a small step towards that.

TFC advance after a mostly lacklustre 0-0 draw with Colorado at home. For the most part Colorado outworked and out-hustled TFC - that changed when TFC subbed off Delgado and put on Aketxe and suddenly the whole team seemed to come alive and dominated the game from that point on (but that was with only 15 minutes left).

In terms of Canucks Osorio started and went about 83 minutes, Hamilton and Morgan were left on the bench - no others dressed. A shame that Hamilton wasn't put on as Altidore was not only poor but didn't give a great effort (he seemed to have another shoe injury disappearing for 4 minutes in the 1st half as he sprinted into the dressing room from the field when the play was stopped for his "injury").

TFC will need to play much better against Tigres next week (and WTF with the next round being next week? I had no idea it was so soon). They will need better performances from Vazquez and Altidore to beat Tigres (who will already have an in-season advantage) who have been sub par so far.

Altidore was very sluggish most of the second half, he should have come off.  Osorio was solid again, very involved in most of the dangerous TFC attacks.  Aketxe will be in for Delgado, there was a major upgrade when he came into the game (to a nice ovation).  Badji was an elbow machine, going in high on Hagglund and Bono. Lucky to not be sent off and I am not sure how Ford (i think) didnt get a red as Gio was going around him and he tackled him like he was a middle linebacker.  Overall it was a meh game....they didnt blow it but you would think they would have tried to give the home crowd some excitement.  

11 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

TFC advance after a mostly lacklustre 0-0 draw with Colorado at home. For the most part Colorado outworked and out-hustled TFC - that changed when TFC subbed off Delgado and put on Aketxe and suddenly the whole team seemed to come alive and dominated the game from that point on (but that was with only 15 minutes left).

In terms of Canucks Osorio started and went about 83 minutes, Hamilton and Morgan were left on the bench - no others dressed. A shame that Hamilton wasn't put on as Altidore was not only poor but didn't give a great effort (he seemed to have another shoe injury disappearing for 4 minutes in the 1st half as he sprinted into the dressing room from the field when the play was stopped for his "injury").

TFC will need to play much better against Tigres next week (and WTF with the next round being next week? I had no idea it was so soon). They will need better performances from Vazquez and Altidore to beat Tigres (who will already have an in-season advantage) who have been sub par so far.

Apparently Altidore was sick to his stomach and actually threw up on the field. Agreed that he should have come off.

Other results from last night:

Tigres 3 Herediano 1 (some comically bad defending by Herediano on the first 2 goals by Tigres - while I didn't think TFC's defenders looked sharp either they weren't as bad as the highlights at Concacaf.com showed Herediano to be). Tigres win 5-3 on aggregate.

Tijuana 1 Motagua 1 - in front of a sparse Tijuana crowd by the looks of it. Tijuana wins 2-1 on aggregate.

Dallas plays tonight against Tauro of Panama.

13 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Other results from last night:

Tigres 3 Herediano 1 (some comically bad defending by Herediano on the first 2 goals by Tigres - while I didn't think TFC's defenders looked sharp either they weren't as bad as the highlights at Concacaf.com showed Herediano to be). Tigres win 5-3 on aggregate.

Tijuana 1 Motagua 1 - in front of a sparse Tijuana crowd by the looks of it. Tijuana wins 2-1 on aggregate.

Dallas plays tonight against Tauro of Panama.

Will Akindele be playing?

Archived