2018 CONCACAF Champions League

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The encouraging sign for TFC in the CCL is that Giovinco has looked pretty good so far.  As i said a while back, he will be key to the succes or failure. Especially on free kicks.   I dont believe that there is this kind of player in Mexico.  Last time i mentioned this, someone retorked with AP Gignac.  I stand by my comment until proven otherwise.  The frenchman doesnt seem to have been in the lineup in the tie versus Herediano and i dont see the same based on intl caps, pro career and so forth from him compared to Giovinco. 

TFC has tried to addressed the depth issues that has plagued MLS sides of past when playing against Liga mx sides.  And if you compare the squads and look at international pedigree, TFC should be better placed than what RSL or even Montreal had when they made their run to the final. 

I love CCL because you learn a lot about concacaf.  And especially, you learn about what our national teams need to do in order to succeed.  For example, you learn that Mexico has lots of player depth (far beyond even the americans) and you see this by the fact that they can turn it on a will and and usualy wear down MLS opponents late in games. And they are able to do this with squads comprised of 80% domestic players.  They take over the game when MLS have to go to their bench which usually means domestic americans and canadian players. Secondly,  you learn that the gap between Canada and countries like Honduras and CRC is not that big and that its individual quality from one or two players that could turn the tide in favour of Canada. These side play many players who end on their NT’s.  MLS can handle easily these squads.  

39 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The encouraging sign for TFC in the CCL is that Giovinco has looked pretty good so far.  As i said a while back, he will be key to the succes or failure. Especially on free kicks.   I dont believe that there is this kind of player in Mexico.  Last time i mentioned this, someone retorked with AP Gignac.  I stand by my comment until proven otherwise.  The frenchman doesnt seem to have been in the lineup in the tie versus Herediano and i dont see the same based on intl caps, pro career and so forth from him compared to Giovinco. 

TFC has tried to addressed the depth issues that has plagued MLS sides of past when playing against Liga mx sides.  And if you compare the squads and look at international pedigree, TFC should be better placed than what RSL or even Montreal had when they made their run to the final. 

I love CCL because you learn a lot about concacaf.  And especially, you learn about what our national teams need to do in order to succeed.  For example, you learn that Mexico has lots of player depth (far beyond even the americans) and you see this by the fact that they can turn it on a will and and usualy wear down MLS opponents late in games. And they are able to do this with squads comprised of 80% domestic players.  They take over the game when MLS have to go to their bench which usually means domestic americans and canadian players. Secondly,  you learn that the gap between Canada and countries like Honduras and CRC is not that big and that its individual quality from one or two players that could turn the tide in favour of Canada. These side play many players who end on their NT’s.  MLS can handle easily these squads.  

Love it and absolutely agree @ Free Kick...Disparity is really going them between MLS sides and Luca MX sides and TFC by all accounts not just us here, many insiders (both American & Canadian) plus some LIGA MX insiders, believe that TFC atm is the best equipped team in MLS to end the Liga MX hegemony and in recent memory, if ever...Should be an exciting contest come Weds.and Ill be down there rooting for TFC ..... We gotta keep the clean sheet and get a least a goal, 2 would be massive...Problem for us vs Mexico and to an extent USMNT is just player depth like you said, but in terms of quality we are producing some high-quality players that at any given moment can take over a game and if we field out A squad any given night, we could easily take them down on a given day...100 % 

TFC give away a very stupid away goal to Tigres but come back to beat them 2-1 on an Osorio backheel (!). He played 90. Ricketts was about to be subbed on for the last 10 minutes but Zavaleta got injured which meant that they decided to put on Hagglund instead. No other Canucks were dressed.

Impressed with how TFC responded after the Tigres goal.  Tigres is, to a man, more technically gifted and structured in their play--and dangerous on the counter--but TFC held their own, moved the ball well, and were absolutely fearless. 

Damned impressed with what I've seen from Osorio in these first few games of the year. He is playing with a lot more confidence and pluck and real quality. He rarely loses the ball, has improved his close foot skills significantly, and seems to have come into the season in great shape.  His work rate was remarkable.  I know it is early days, but it is encouraging to see a few Canadians like Osorio, Davies, Tiebert and DeJong getting the year off on the right foot. I hope that Petrasso and Piette and Kaye and all the rest continue on a similar path.

1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

Impressed with how TFC responded after the Tigres goal.  Tigres is, to a man, more technically gifted and structured in their play--and dangerous on the counter--but TFC held their own, moved the ball well, and were absolutely fearless. 

Damned impressed with what I've seen from Osorio in these first few games of the year. He is playing with a lot more confidence and pluck and real quality. He rarely loses the ball, has improved his close foot skills significantly, and seems to have come into the season in great shape.  His work rate was remarkable.  I know it is early days, but it is encouraging to see a few Canadians like Osorio, Davies, Tiebert and DeJong getting the year off on the right foot. I hope that Petrasso and Piette and Kaye and all the rest continue on a similar path.

Here's hoping...This can go a long way to our fortunes in FIFA dates

Seattle goes quietly, losing 3-0 to Chivas and 3-1 on aggregate. Not having Lodeiro and then losing two players (including Chad Marshall) to injury in the first half didn't help matters. Club America comfortably beat Tauro in Panama 3-1 to win 7-1 on aggregate

NYRB vs. Chivas and TFC vs. Club America are the Semi-Final matches. MLS vs. Liga MLX, but really US vs. Mexico and Canada vs. Mexico.

• 3 weeks later...

A game controlled well by TFC, very intense first half, lost intensity 2nd largely due to the TFC defense defusing the threats. And one great Bono save. Very telling that the Club America bitching and ref baiting subsided after the 3rd goal, best way to take them out of it. I am not sure it'll be that easy in Azteca, there are things TFC could definitely improve --some poor outlet passes, leaving Gio and Joey out so long, with very little defensive work from either, no real defensive mid on the field for TFC-- but overall a great result.

I wonder if these were the same cops that allegedly beat up the Chilean U20 team back in 2007:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/04/04/accusations-fly-after-toronto-fc-club-america-clash-bmo-field-tunnel

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/club-america-manager-alleges-three-staff-members-assaulted-by-toronto-police~1362345

Incidentally, I was unaware of Herrera's "MLS sucks!" comments prior to the game. Interesting that he felt that Club Tijuana were the better team vs. NYRB. Well, when I say interesting, what I really mean is crazy given the 5-1 scoreline over two legs for the Yank club.

8 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I wonder if these were the same cops that allegedly beat up the Chilean U20 team back in 2007:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/04/04/accusations-fly-after-toronto-fc-club-america-clash-bmo-field-tunnel

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/club-america-manager-alleges-three-staff-members-assaulted-by-toronto-police~1362345

Incidentally, I was unaware of Herrera's "MLS sucks!" comments prior to the game. Interesting that he felt that Club Tijuana were the better team vs. NYRB. Well, when I say interesting, what I really mean is crazy given the 5-1 scoreline over two legs for the Yank club.

Have to question the wisdom of Herrera dissing MLS just before their tie with TFC. That sort of thing only fires up your opponents. Herrera isn't a football manager, he's somebody's nutty old abuela!

13 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

Have to question the wisdom of Herrera dissing MLS just before their tie with TFC. That sort of thing only fires up your opponents. Herrera isn't a football manager, he's somebody's nutty old abuela!

It won't just fire up TFC, it will fire up NYRB in their match as well. I expect the Chivas manager is probably not too happy with Herrera's comments. Although I don't necessarily agree, suggesting that Tigres was the better team that TFC in a 4-4 two leg tie seems reasonable enough, but it just looks ridiculous to suggest that a team that won 5-1 over the two legs was inferior.

From what I’ve heard Herrera was in the tunnel irate at halftime just screaming “churros canadiense!” repeatedly and about 5 cops were trying to hold him down but he was like Bob Probert he just kept coming so suddenly someone gives him a timbit and he calms down for half a second before realizing it was coconut flavoured which made him even madder.. long story short he got a few chocolate timbits in him and calmed down.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

It won't just fire up TFC, it will fire up NYRB in their match as well. I expect the Chivas manager is probably not too happy with Herrera's comments. Although I don't necessarily agree, suggesting that Tigres was the better team that TFC in a 4-4 two leg tie seems reasonable enough, but it just looks ridiculous to suggest that a team that won 5-1 over the two legs was inferior.

Yeah, the claim that

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

From what I’ve heard Herrera was in the tunnel irate at halftime just screaming “churros canadiense!” repeatedly and about 5 cops were trying to hold him down but he was like Bob Probert he just kept coming so suddenly someone gives him a timbit and he calms down for half a second before realizing it was coconut flavoured which made him even madder.. long story short he got a few chocolate timbits in him and calmed down.

Was it a Timbit enema? Works every time.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Yeah, NYRB was the superior team by far in that series. And while I feel that Tigres was better technically and was super dangerous at home, they were by no means far superior to TFC. Oh and TFC won the two-leg tie!  Liga MX is still stronger than MLS, but the gap is closing quickly.

Hmmm, a mexican team complaining about bad refs, bias and gamesmanship.  HEHEHHEHEE!!!!  Our italian embelisher was just a bit better than their divers.  They cant say much about that penalty, the ref couldnt have gotten a better look at it, he was  about 20feet away.  

Archived