Alphonso Davies shames Owen Hargreaves.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, dsqpr said:

This is a wise policy which I try to follow too!

But once you post once you get sucked into it like a feather into a vortex. And I am getting perverse pleasure from throwing logic darts into the haterz balloon and watching them rush around trying in vain to plug the holes.

I may be out numbered but I am nothing if not persistent and will fight with the tenacity of the 300, forcing the haterz down my canyon of logic!

Everytime I try to get out they drag me back in....

On 7/10/2017 at 10:41 PM, dsqpr said:

Scott Arfield was born and raised in Scotland, and was a regular in the Scotland under-21 team, but plays internationally for Canada.

Oh dear, what an inconvenient truth!

THANk-YOU dsqpr! 

i havent gone through all the hate yet, but i was beginning to think i was the only guy here who can see the facts.  OH played for a country not his birth. JoDG plays for a country not his birth,  AD plays for a country not his birth.  SA plays for a country not his birth....

that was the only point i was trying to get across b/c again... i repeat: it is hypocritical to hate on one but to heap praise on another b/c the reasons you guys are using to support the defense of those you praise are footnotes -they are not facts.  they are versions of truth from the speaker's point of view. 

a birthplace is a fact.  sorry to be stupid, ignorant, blind, ludicrous, 'disingenious', whatever else i was called...

There is an obvious issue of homer bias at play, and I suspect most would sheepishly admit that.  But the four examples (OH, JoDG, AD, SA) have some very different facts that suggest fairly different outcomes.

OH and JoDG were both wanted by Canada at the senior level - desperately.  SA was (for some inexplicable reason) shut out of the Scotland set up for a prolonged period and at the age of 27 made a decision to play for us.  He wanted to play for them, but never got the call.  Pretending that this is the same situation as people who were wanted by their country and refused the call-up is willful blindness. 

As for AD's birth country, he moved here when he was 5 and he has grown up here.  He, and his family, have actively pursued Canadian citizenship, and I think it is safe to say that he feels Canadian.  Contrast with OH who played for England because (I think) one grandparent was English. He was born in Canada, grew up in Canada, and developed his skills here.  He even claimed that he would be honoured to suit up for us.  The idea that being cut from some team, somewhere along the developmental path, justifies abandoning our country and all the CMNT fans. is bullshit.

Birthplace is a fact.  But it is not the only fact.  And it is silly to pretend that it is the lone deciding factor - especially in a thread where many people have provided explicit explanations about why the view the scenarios very differently.  Again, there is some homer bias that clearly influences the thinking on this issue - but that doesn't negate the fact that there are substantial differences involved.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

OH and JoDG were both wanted by Canada at the senior level - desperately.  SA was (for some inexplicable reason) shut out of the Scotland set up for a prolonged period and at the age of 27 made a decision to play for us.  He wanted to play for them, but never got the call.  Pretending that this is the same situation as people who were wanted by their country and refused the call-up is willful blindness. 

Exactly.  

8 hours ago, kungfucious said:

THANk-YOU dsqpr! 

i havent gone through all the hate yet, but i was beginning to think i was the only guy here who can see the facts.  OH played for a country not his birth. JoDG plays for a country not his birth,  AD plays for a country not his birth.  SA plays for a country not his birth....

that was the only point i was trying to get across b/c again... i repeat: it is hypocritical to hate on one but to heap praise on another b/c the reasons you guys are using to support the defense of those you praise are footnotes -they are not facts.  they are versions of truth from the speaker's point of view. 

a birthplace is a fact.  sorry to be stupid, ignorant, blind, ludicrous, 'disingenious', whatever else i was called...

It is a level of hypocrisy. There are more than one. That is a fact. For me it is a level that determines my support. 

To rid yourself of hypocrisy you would have to cheer for every player on both teams on the pitch. We're fighting about what level of hypocrisy is ridiculous. I just accept that support means bias. That can mean the end of it. 

Throwing the word hypocrisy around is just out of touch. But if you're having fun fighting over where to land on the issue for now and forever - good luck to all involved.

Archived