The NASL sky is falling

Steedman

Disappointed to see that NASL is seemingly on its death bed. I had hopes that the league could be sustainable if it expanded smartly and developed slowly from a core group of clubs. 

I hope that some of the stronger teams in NASL could find a home in a D2 USL (think Indy, Miami, Carolina) and join some of the higher-echelon clubs already in USL (pulled this list from midfieldpress):  Sacramento Republic FC, FC Cincinnati, Louisville City FC, San Antonio FC, OKC Energy, Richmond Kickers, Rochester Rhinos, Colorado Switchbacks, Arizona United, Charlotte Independence, Saint Louis FC, Tulsa Roughnecks, Tampa Bay Rowdies.

That's 16 teams right there (purposefully left out Ottawa and Edmonton as I expect them to be in CPL). If you can get a couple more solid teams in there (ex: Detroit City FC), then you've got a pretty tidy 2nd division right there. And that's with leaving out the reserve teams. 

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw this article:

http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-soccer/story/3013685/tampa-bay-rowdies-and-north-carolina-fc-unveil-campaigns-to-attract-mls-expansion

The situation seems fluid to say the least.

Since FCed doesn't seem to be interested in CPL, a small, naive part of me wonders if they would ever seek a spot in MLS.  While they are sticking with NASL for now, that seems like a doomed effort.  Thus the options going forward are CPL, the new USL, and a moon-shot at MLS.

Will be interesting...

Like I said, really just naive musings on my part - in large part because I don't really understand their allegiance to a seemingly doomed NASL.  I guess if it really is just about the owners' financial stake in NASL (and thus in its ultimate success) then it is a pretty straightforward motive, but if that is the case I hope they are actually far more open to CPL membership than their current posture suggests. 

As for the MLS idea, the only reason I see any sort of argument on the league's behalf would be the chance to per-emptively kill the CPL as any sort of competitor before it even gets legs.  Much like the new MLS "domestic" rule impacts the CPL's future player-pool prospects, allowing another large Canadian market into MLS would undermine the feasibility of the CPL as major player in the North American footy landscape.

Again, this is just me thinking out loud.  But after 186 pages (and counting) of speculation on a yet-to-be-announced CPL, I assume that is acceptable here :)

3 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

The CSA would only allow FCE into MLS over its dead body.

Even after 1.4 million for TFC vs Impact? Think they would be happy with a fourth MLS team now the domestic player controversy is moving in a better direction. The issue would be at the MLS end of things as there is no shortage of interest from American cities that can help build the footprint for better national broadcast deals and Edmonton as Peter Wilt demonstrated in a recent blog is one of the smallest markets sustaining fully pro soccer in North America even for D2 level soccer.

I don't think the CSA has any problems with the MLS. In fact I'm probably an outsider in thinking the CPL will be far more cooperative with MLS than many people on here might like.

With that said, for a number of reasons, Edmonton would not be a very likely candidate for MLS expansion.

Cosmos deny closure reports as North American Soccer League talks continue

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cosmos-deny-closure-reports-north-american-soccer-league-214803988--sow.html

"A club source with knowledge of the situation denied a report that the Cosmos had ceased operations and terminated contracts of its players and staff.

However the source confirmed that the future of the world famous club hinged on the outcome of talks between the NASL and US Soccer about the league.

"We haven't made any decisions with regard to ceasing operations or anything like that," the club source confirmed to AFP."

8 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

The situation seems fluid to say the least.

Since FCed doesn't seem to be interested in CPL, a small, naive part of me wonders if they would ever seek a spot in MLS.  While they are sticking with NASL for now, that seems like a doomed effort.  Thus the options going forward are CPL, the new USL, and a moon-shot at MLS.

Another option for rebuilding NASL discussed in an article on midfield press today :

http://midfieldpress.com/2016/12/07/nasl-can-survive-rebuild-thrive-with-d3-sanctioning/

Just now, shermanator said:

I know the rumours change by the day, but it seems that Fath taking his NASL payout and walking away from FC Edmonton is the likely course of action. USL doesn't want FC Edmonton. Fath doesn't want to move to USL.

Of course, tomorrow the rumours will have FC Edmonton joining USL.

WHEN CAN I START SAD DRINKING?

I can't say that I know what it's like to lose a team.  I know when there was talk of the Bills moving Toronto the thought made me queasy (and I'm from the area).  Hopefully CanPL can set up there if he does indeed bail on soccer altogether.

So looks like we are now losing two out eight fully pro teams that were operating last summer. Not good.

FC Edmonton is a far murkier situation. Multiple sources have relayed that neither the USL nor the Canadian club are interested in uniting. The odds of this resolving, with Edmonton in the USL, are nearly null. While the potential Canadian Premier League was seen as a fallback, the club isn’t sold on the CPL either. Edmonton may be left without a home altogether.

This morning, Brian Quarstad shared that former investor Traffic’s B shares have been purchased, creating a financial windfall of $3,500,000 for the fading league. As one of the league’s strongest proponents, Edmonton’s Tom Fath is expected to see a large payout himself.

- See more at: http://fiftyfive.one/2016/12/sources-nasl-last-legs-usl-deal-99-complete/#sthash.a3Ltp0jf.dpuf

1 minute ago, ThatDaveCh said:

I'll optimistically wait for a statement from the club. The latest one from the club is the announcement that Steph Labbe will be doing a signing at the Team Store, which is cool af, but doesn't ease my anxiety.

LOL I think I'm going to wear my CanPL shirt to this.

I wonder when or even if all the sheets will be shaken out about this. It seems to me like both MLS and USL had fore-knowledge of where the NASL was/is at.

I mean USL declared it was going to try for D2 and everyone laughed. Then you have clubs in the NASL seeming to quit halfway through the season and you have to wonder if USL approached them and had already worked out a deal to get them to join. Maybe it is all just hindsight, but it sure feels like the USL has been preparing for this for awhile.

9 minutes ago, shermanator said:

With the Fury leaving for USL, and rumours of FC Edmonton and FC Montreal being no more, this has been a brutal offseason for Canadian soccer. So much for the game being healthy in this country (outside of MLS markets anyways)

I remain hopeful, because whether or not FCE is done, it's been the strongest version of local pro soccer this city has ever seen. From the Drillers, to the Aviators, FCE has been the best yet. And if FCE survives this to the CPL, or a new franchise takes its place, I'm confident it'll be even more successful. 

I remain hopeful that Calgary's momentum continues, and that Saskatchewan will get a club, etc, etc. I think things are going to be very good for CanSoc in years to come.

17 minutes ago, shermanator said:

With the Fury leaving for USL, and rumours of FC Edmonton and FC Montreal being no more, this has been a brutal offseason for Canadian soccer. So much for the game being healthy in this country (outside of MLS markets anyways)

I agree it is a bad time for Canadian soccer but it's kind of harsh to judge the state of the game in Canada based on these events.  NASL was a time bomb that finally exploded and unfortunately the two teams were caught in the carnage.  As for FC Montreal, from what I've heard there was never a real push from Saputo to try and market the team to make it something other than a reserve squad.  Hardly a reflection of a failure of the Canadian soccer community. 

Remember though I'm the eternal optimist though lol.

33 minutes ago, shermanator said:

It blows my mind that FCEd could fold, especially right now.  At the risk of being excessively dramatic, we are at a crossroads in Canadian footy history.  Despite the frustrating lack of clear, public information on CPL, we seem to be embarking on arguably our most significant national footy venture to date.  And with all that has been invested in FCEd (and not just talking about money), the idea that it would simply close shop, at this very specific moment in history, seems crazy to me.  Not saying that isn't exactly what will happen, or that the owners haven't already shouldered more than enough risk - just that such a move would seem like a massive missed opportunity when the alternative is so tantalizingly close.

Archived