The NASL sky is falling

Steedman

On 10/30/2016 at 9:56 AM, Complete Homer said:

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I remember reading recently that about 1/3 of the USL teams don't hit the stadium requirements for D2 and several don't meet the net worth requirements, but considering the number of waivers given to NASL over the years, that might not matter. 

If I had to put money on it, I'd bet that the USSF will defer the decision another year to see if the NASL question resolves on its own, then makes a move. It will all look much less controversial if they are moving USL up to a vacant D2 position rather than dealing with the political fallout from bellyaching NASL teams.

That's the thinking from some others as well, USSF may keep the status quo and see what plays out in a year.

Another rumor that Nipun posted on the same day were that NASL is 100% a go for next year.

Not sure why there seems to be thinking that NASL has operated with lots of waivers each year - it has had a few but not as many as some infer and none needed this year as they met the standards. MLS needed waivers as well in the past, its meant to give sanctioning when a league is close but falls a bit short.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

That's the thinking from some others as well, USSF may keep the status quo and see what plays out in a year.

Another rumor that Nipun posted on the same day were that NASL is 100% a go for next year.

Not sure why there seems to be thinking that NASL has operated with lots of waivers each year - it has had a few but not as many as some infer and none needed this year as they met the standards. MLS needed waivers as well in the past, its meant to give sanctioning when a league is close but falls a bit short.

I don't doubt that NASL is go for 2017, I think the question is what lies beyond that. If Wilt is correct about several teams joining in 2018, there is a lifeline. If they get scared off by instability and one more key franchise moves after next season, I could see the house of cards folding. I don't think it is as inevitable as some people, but it is certainly shaky.

As for the waivers, my point is the fact that USL doesn't hit D2 requirements doesn't necessarily mean they won't get D2 sanctioning. But I agree, my money would be on another deferred decision

Someone on reddit claiming that the players were told that the team will not be returning next year, and that there was no mention of a revival after moving to another market.

So not totally dead considering there have been a decent number of rumours about relocating the team and that they have maintained good standing with the league by posting the 750k bond, but not looking extremely bright (https://www.reddit.com/r/NASLSoccer/comments/5bpuce/rayo_is_dead_official_announcement_pending_i/)

This one isn't surprising as rumours had said they would be taking a year off in 2017. Coming back in 2018 to NASL will likely hinge on Rayo Vallecano making it back to the first division La Liga again and that isn't looking good for next year at this time.

The core 9 NASL clubs now at least plus any new teams added for 2017 it seems.

5 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Apparently not confirmed, players denying the rumor on twitter now. Get out your popcorn!

Rumor's source is a former disgruntled employee of the NASL club.

It seems likely though that they wont be back in OKC next season.

He said sources, not source.

Let's look at the teams in the NASL.

Stable

Carolina Railhawks - I heard some rumblings they might be considering a move, but I seem to have lost the post so I would assume they are stable.

Indy Eleven - Stable and doing well, but might also be a target to be poached by the USL or MLS.

Jacksonville Armada - Stable and doing well and seems dedicated to NASL

New York Cosomos - Stable and doing well, unlikely to be poached given the other two MLS teams in the area.

Peurto Rico FC - While they are apparently stable and bring in tourist revenue to the island, this club is also a big ball and chain to a lot of the NASL, and may be a hinderance to attracting owners outside of Florida. Edmonton to Peurto Rico can't be a cheap flight, and neither will San Francisco to the island be a cakewalk either.

Has Issues

FC Edmonton - They are commited to the NASL, that much is certain. However they are still plagued by attendance issues and have stated if this continues, they might throw in the towel.

Miami FC - There are rumblings that MLS might be moving in to take over this market, likely in 2019. When that happens, I just can't see Miami being enough of a hotbed to support both teams.

San Francisco Deltas - As a brand new franchise, stability will of course be a question.

Unstable to point of Uncertainty

Ft Lauderdale Strikers - Averaging under 2,000 in attendance, with absentee owners and now dealing with bond posting and the league covering losses, this team might not be around next season.

Rayo OKC - While attendance isn't a factor, the literal turf war ownership just engaged in, and the talk that the organization basically cleaned house. - http://newsok.com/article/5512691

Leaving

Ottawa Fury - Gone to the USL next season, apparently as a cost saving measure with rumors that the CanPL might be in their future.

Tampa Bay Rowdies - Gone to the USL next season, apparently has MLS aspirations.

Minnesota United - Gone to the MLS next season

3/13 teams are outright leaving, and about half the league is stable and the other half has serious to potential issues. That's not to say you can't make a go at it with an 8 team league. It's just very hard with all your teams spread out, litte in the way of TV revenue, the threat of relegation to division 3 looming and a giant ball and chain called Puerto Rico that is going to limit your ability to sell expansions, outside the south-east.

11 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

Let's look at the teams in the NASL.

Stable

Carolina Railhawks - I heard some rumblings they might be considering a move, but I seem to have lost the post so I would assume they are stable.

Indy Eleven - Stable and doing well, but might also be a target to be poached by the USL or MLS.

Jacksonville Armada - Stable and doing well and seems dedicated to NASL

New York Cosomos - Stable and doing well, unlikely to be poached given the other two MLS teams in the area.

Peurto Rico FC - While they are apparently stable and bring in tourist revenue to the island, this club is also a big ball and chain to a lot of the NASL, and may be a hinderance to attracting owners outside of Florida. Edmonton to Peurto Rico can't be a cheap flight, and neither will San Francisco to the island be a cakewalk either.

Has Issues

FC Edmonton - They are commited to the NASL, that much is certain. However they are still plagued by attendance issues and have stated if this continues, they might throw in the towel.

Miami FC - There are rumblings that MLS might be moving in to take over this market, likely in 2019. When that happens, I just can't see Miami being enough of a hotbed to support both teams.

San Francisco Deltas - As a brand new franchise, stability will of course be a question.

Unstable to point of Uncertainty

Ft Lauderdale Strikers - Averaging under 2,000 in attendance, with absentee owners and now dealing with bond posting and the league covering losses, this team might not be around next season.

Rayo OKC - While attendance isn't a factor, the literal turf war ownership just engaged in, and the talk that the organization basically cleaned house. - http://newsok.com/article/5512691

Leaving

Ottawa Fury - Gone to the USL next season, apparently as a cost saving measure with rumors that the CanPL might be in their future.

Tampa Bay Rowdies - Gone to the USL next season, apparently has MLS aspirations.

Minnesota United - Gone to the MLS next season

3/13 teams are outright leaving, and about half the league is stable and the other half has serious to potential issues. That's not to say you can't make a go at it with an 8 team league. It's just very hard with all your teams spread out, litte in the way of TV revenue, the threat of relegation to division 3 looming and a giant ball and chain called Puerto Rico that is going to limit your ability to sell expansions, outside the south-east.

I think its unfair to say that there are "serious to potential issues" on half the league. Miami has the cash to make it work, and managed to trend upwards in terms of attendance throughout 2016. Add that to the fact that MLS in Miami is looking like its less and less likely (after all it hasn't even been officially announced as an expansion, and with Tampa Bay potentially being a market, that might be the more likely target for MLS in that market), and Edmonton (for all the comments that have been made) are VERY strong in staying in the NASL. I would even suggest that San Fran is turning into a league leader after the BoG "summit" which was pretty much lead by them.

I think that's a realistic look at the NASL as it stands... If I was going to be overly optimistic, then I would say that the latest rumors from OKC is that the club is exploring ways to keep on keeping on.

I would say there are 2 current clubs with issues (OKC and Fort Lauderdale). I expect to see a 9 club NASL next season. Baring a forced merger from the USSF, I think we'll see NASL maintain D2 status, with a strongly worded conversation from USSF that they better get things together ASAP.

1 hour ago, Yohan said:

NASL still has ties to those crooks in Traffic Sports?

No he's sueing because he didn't know Traffic was involved in illegal crap when he bought in to the NASL.  Thanks for the link

Edit-yep should of finished reading the article lol.  Looks like they're still involved.

Just because I'm not a lawyer her can someone help me understand what he is threatening legal action for? It seems rather peculiar -at least to me- to sue for affiliation to a criminally convicted organization... It seems as if he's making the suit for his own negligence or lack of due diligence to me...

Bill Edwards: "I accidentally laundered money for these crooks for several years, I tried to stop myself but it was only once I left that could I form the legal means to sue without a conflict of interest. By the way, I never once have reported any of this to the authorities previously because my law team says it is more profitable to sue after the fact." 

Is this how stuff works down south? I need help understanding this one.

6 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Sounds like they are promising to address the venue issues that are at a lot of clubs. I'd be a bit annoyed if I was TFC II or FC Montreal and was being told we'd have to expand to 5000 seats when cracking 1000 attendees is a good night. 

FC Montreal plays in Complexe sportif Claude-Robillard which has 9500 seats except for the early games of the season where they play in Olympic stadium.

2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

FC Montreal plays in Complexe sportif Claude-Robillard which has 9500 seats except for the early games of the season where they play in Olympic stadium.

Ah ok. Still a bit shitty for TFC, but it looks like the Ontario soccer center was built to enable expansion to 5000 seats, so it's not like their fairly new facility is getting mothballed 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived