The NASL sky is falling

Steedman

There's been some tweets that have been put out from sources, but nothing really substantial. It appears as though it wasn't a true board of governor's meeting, but rather a "summit". Apparently something of a refocus and examination of where the league is headed and how the individual clubs see it going. Check out the latest "The Inverted Triangle" podcast. Has some GREAT insight into the Rayo OKC situation, as well as some of the league workings.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some notes from the Inverted Triangle interview with the new executive sent over for Rayo OKC:

- One of the first moves made by this new executive was to ask staff across the board to take paycuts and "make sacrifices." ~80% of the staff turned them down and there appears to be bad blood.

- Confirms that attendances were greatly inflated by $1 tickets (about 3000 of the 4400 average attendees were getting in for basically free). The Spanish side of the operation was not aware of this until Gallego showed up. Goes as far as to call it a "hoax" and "fake numbers"

- The team was behind on stadium rent when Gallego arrived, again not known by the Spanish side. "It was a complete mess."

- Gallego will not confirm that Rayo will be in the league next year. To paraphrase, "[The owner] wants to be in NASL next year, but the way things are looking, we could be five or six teams. There are talks and changes that would have to happen for us to stay. There is still time." Later says the plan is to be in NASL next year, but again changes in the league structure must be made. 

- Gallego believes several teams are leaving at the end of the season. "We could be looking at five or six teams [...] If things remain the way there are...it won't be good"

- Rayo itself is healthy financially, has not requested bailouts from the league.

People scoff at Edmonton's 2000 average but having lots of discount tickets to paper the house is nothing out of the ordinary in lower level pro soccer in North Ameica. If they drop as low as five or six teams the USSF can deny D3 sanctioning never mind D2. Looks like the NASL is going the way of the IHL now and the USL's AHL type approach will be the winner as the next step down from MLS.

On 9/30/2016 at 8:48 AM, Complete Homer said:

^On that note, has there been any word from the BOG meetings? I saw speculation of a salary cap being on the table for NASL

It was actually clarified by Chairman of the Board, Mark Frisch, as not being a BOG meeting but the NASL's first league summit.

San Francisco Deltas owner Brian Helmick describing it recently :

"In fact, next week we are getting together for our first ever League Summit. We’ve been working on putting this Summit together for over a month with an incredible group of consultants that have worked with companies like Apple, Facebook, and Google.

"Our focus will be on the future path and how we can do what is best for fans, players, and the sport in the US in general. We want to do it in a collaborative way with the USSF, MLS, and USL. In my humble opinion, we all love this sport and there are lots of opportunities to collaborate.

"We have a solid core group of owners and I’m confident in the exciting things that will be ahead."

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Steedman said:

Now do we panic??

No, this has been rumored and expected by some for a while. 2 teams out of 12 self relegate to third div Usl, NASL has 9 clubs that have posted bond for 2017 season and schedule has been worked out for two even spring and fall seasons, 32 games total. Rayo OKC sitting out a year and moving to another market for 2018 when at least one more, Chicago NASL joins as well with 5 other expansion groups in talks to join NASL currently.

13 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Seems odd that JAX and CAR would be thinking of bailing for USL if they already put their NASL bond down for next year.

I don't dispute the accuracy of the info, but it just seems odd.

This rumor is suspect, these 2 clubs have payed their bond for 2017 already.

We're gonna see more of these type of baseless rumors until the USL's decision on D2 has been made by USSF one way or another. It seems to be an effort to discredit the NASL and put them in a poor light leading up to the decision being made.

Jax is staying in NASL and released this statement today :

CvtLCiVXgAElV3B.jpg:large

11 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

This rumor is suspect, these 2 clubs have payed their bond for 2017 already.

We're gonna see more of these type of baseless rumors until the USL's decision on D2 has been made by USSF one way or another. It seems to be an effort to discredit the NASL and put them in a poor light leading up to the decision being made.

Jax is staying in NASL and released this statement today :

CvtLCiVXgAElV3B.jpg:large

Didn't Ottawa sent a statement that looked just like that 3 months ago?

6 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Even better, @CDNFootballer was making the same sort of statements about the Fury moving earlier in this thread!

Putting it out there. I can't see how NASL keeps its D2 status. USL's D2 status looks stronger than NASL's D2 status if you look at what is needed. I just hope that the NASL clubs can survive.

23 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

To be fair, Ottawa's statement had no real commitment to NASL within it, it was a commitment to not fold. In fact, the lack of commitment to NASL within the statement was seen as solid evidence that the Fury were on their way out.

"Ottawa Fury is an NASL franchise and a league member in good standing. Over the last three seasons, Fury has forged strong ties with Ottawa/Gatineau soccer associations and the community at large and those efforts, combined with Fury’s high calibre of play, have established a growing fan base for professional soccer in our region. Our long-term focus is on gaining even greater fan support, this season and in future seasons, starting with (Friday) evening’s match against FC Edmonton at TD Place."

Not saying anything one way or another on JAX, I'm personally pretty skeptical about NASL beyond 2017, just that the Armada's statement is quite different and from Ottawa's. 

16 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Putting it out there. I can't see how NASL keeps its D2 status. USL's D2 status looks stronger than NASL's D2 status if you look at what is needed. I just hope that the NASL clubs can survive.

NASL, IIRC, has never actually fulfilled the D2 requirements set by USSF, so I don't think they will lose their status for dropping below 12 teams. If anything, I'd speculate that the USSF will allow both USL and NASL to have D2 sanctioning and will wait and see if NASL dies off on its own

3 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

NASL, IIRC, has never actually fulfilled the D2 requirements set by USSF, so I don't think they will lose their status for dropping below 12 teams. If anything, I'd speculate that the USSF will allow both USL and NASL to have D2 sanctioning and will wait and see if NASL dies off on its own

They have fulfilled the financial requirements and stadium capacity (something the USL lacks) from 2012 to date. Also this season they fulfilled all of the timezone and # of team requirements - which it would seem they will need waivers for again next season if they don't add 2 more teams.

6 hours ago, Blackdude said:

No, it was quite different.

5 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

NASL met D2 requirements this year.

5 hours ago, Blackdude said:

USL has problems with the Stadium requirements with about 11 of its 31 teams for next season. They also apparently have some teams that don't meet the net worth financials. I see USSF waiting until possibly Jan to make a decision or they may table it till next year and leave the status quo for 2017.

7 hours ago, Blackdude said:

I can't see how NASL keeps its D2 status either, when everyone knows they'll become D1 any day now. :mellow:

Colin Miller confirms FC Edmonton is staying in North American Soccer League

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/soccer/colin-miller-confirms-fc-edmonton-is-staying-in-north-american-soccer-league

“It’s unfortunate,” Miller said. “Our club is 100 per cent committed to the NASL. We heard rumours that Ottawa may jump ship; it’s been going on for some time.

“Losing any team to a lesser level is disappointing, but it’s what they feel is right for their clubs. The NASL is still a strong league, there is still very strong talk of expansion and San Francisco is joining the league next year as well. I’m a glass-half-full guy; if people want to jump ship, then that’s their fault, it has nothing to do with FC Edmonton.”

I can’t understand why clubs would want to go to a lower level, when this league (NASL) is easily the second tier in North American football.”

44 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Not that it shows in inter-league results, attendance, quality of player or any other metric but everyone involved with NASL does seem to have an obsession with saying it as loudly and as often as possible.

Actually it does show in attendance, quality of players, media deals, profile, etc. that NASL has been the clear D2 league.

They may or may not fall short in the team numbers needed for next year but other than that they are the ones who've met the D2 standards the last 6 years not the third division Usl affiliate/reserve league who still don't meet those standards.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

As with all twitter sources this should be taken with a pinch of salt, but if as seems absolutely certain at this point, there will be fewer than 12 teams in the NASL season, they will not meet D2 sanctioning standards and will need a special waiver from the USSF to continue as a D2 league.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I remember reading recently that about 1/3 of the USL teams don't hit the stadium requirements for D2 and several don't meet the net worth requirements, but considering the number of waivers given to NASL over the years, that might not matter. 

If I had to put money on it, I'd bet that the USSF will defer the decision another year to see if the NASL question resolves on its own, then makes a move. It will all look much less controversial if they are moving USL up to a vacant D2 position rather than dealing with the political fallout from bellyaching NASL teams.

Archived