The NASL sky is falling

Steedman

49 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Nipun Chopra, who appears to have inside info sometimes on the NASL and USL...

I've been following this guys since the "NASL is Falling" rumours came out and agree that he is a good read. Seems to have solid contacts and reports without a bias toward the NASL or USL - he just supports US pro soccer. Highly recommend him to anyone interested in following how this whole NASL vs USL thing will play out.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seriously doubt that the NASL could survive into next summer without the Cosmos and not even bothering to collect season ticket deposits looks extremely ominous. What would be really good for Canadian soccer would be if all the stakeholders involved finally were on the same page and pushing in the same direction. If Edmonton wind up in USL (no sure thing based on past articles from Steven Sandor, unfortunately, as they may just close up shop), you only need Hamilton United/Steelers at that point to reach 6 Canadian D2 level teams.

Man, this is one crazy off-season. Even though a future CPL stands to gain from this, I can't help but feel bad that NASL is imploding like this, especially since they recently/finally broke ties with Traffic Sports.

I really enjoyed following a clearly defined 3-tier level of pro/development soccer in North America this past Summer and looked forward to seeing players progress from one level to another. NASL offered a solid working environment to starting CMNT players (Ledgerwood, deJong, deGuzman, etc...) in a time of need and I applauded that. Sad so see it go.

The SF Deltas must be particularly frustrated right now.

Agreed. I didn't really follow the sport as closely when the whole NASL/USL split was going on, but when both leagues were formed I was completely behind NASL, as they had what I thought would have been the superior product / venues / viewing experience, as well as stability. NASL attempting to compete with MLS was its downfall.

Pedro Heizer appears to be credible enough to get onto Sirius XM:

The NASL tried to do what the IHL did in hockey and it backfired spectacularly on them, because there really wasn't a huge Cosmos fanbase out there waiting to have their team resurrected any more than there is for the Blizzard in Toronto (I am aware of the irony of writing that given my choice of username back in 2005 pre-TFC), but the good thing is that the USL is there to pick up the pieces, if this really is the end of the road, and most of the surviving NASL operations should be able to continue seamlessly with D2 level operations into 2017. The D2/D3 distinction has never made much sense, so MLS-USL-PDL should work fine for the USSF in the years ahead. 

40 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Pedro Heizer appears to be credible enough to get onto Sirius XM:

The NASL tried to do what the IHL did in hockey and it backfired spectacularly on them, because there really wasn't a huge Cosmos fanbase out there waiting to have their team resurrected any more than there is for the Blizzard in Toronto (I am aware of the irony of writing that given my choice of username back in 2005 pre-TFC), but the good thing is that the USL is there to pick up the pieces, if this really is the end of the road, and most of the surviving NASL operations should be able to continue seamlessly with D2 level operations into 2017. The D2/D3 distinction has never made much sense, so MLS-USL-PDL should work fine for the USSF in the years ahead. 

If there's one good thing about all of this, it's that this is happening early in the off-season with time for USL and the remaining NASL teams to plan their next steps.  Nothing worse than a mid-season shutdown.

17 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

What would be really good for Canadian soccer would be if all the stakeholders involved finally were on the same page and pushing in the same direction. If Edmonton wind up in USL (no sure thing based on past articles from Steven Sandor, unfortunately, as they may just close up shop), you only need Hamilton United/Steelers at that point to reach 6 Canadian D2 level teams.

I heard some rumours lately that Hamilton and few other cities across Canada are planning a D1 league.

8 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Where is @CDNFootballer ? The fact that he isn't disputing those means that even his source at NASL can't defend what is going on.

Lots going on, rumours are flying fast and furious, 4 groups presenting to NASL today for expansion clubs.

The well respected Peter Wilt posting on twitter basically that rumors of the NASL's demise are not necessarily true.

Mexico's mega rich Carlos Slim who has been rumoured to be connected to an NASL expansion club in the past is now rumoured to be interested in saving the NY Cosmos and/or possibly NASL.

But apparently Sunil Gulatti, (USSF head), and Usl's Jake Edwards and Alec Papadakis were also at the NASL's BOG today at some point.

Apparently USSF would prefer a merger of the 2 league's for a new D2 and may be pressuring for it. The MLS reserves and affiliate USL clubs could stay in USL's D3 league with their independents joining in the new D2.

A few ways this could play out, should be another interesting day tomorrow as the NASL BOG continues for its second of 2 scheduled days.

I know lots of folks support our teams and there is an attachment to NASL, but in terms of advancing the cause of the CPL, I can't help but think that instability in NASL is a good thing.  Whether the current issues get sorted out or not, I am in favour of anything that encourages our strong 2nd tier clubs to join CPL at the ground floor and help build the league.

It really is the Wild West. Rumours flying and it's hard to know what to believe. NASL could disappear, could merge with USL, or could suddenly have four new expansion teams suddenly jump in to save it. It's so bizarre. 

Thankfully there is only one more day of meetings, assuming most of the questions about the league's future will be figured out by then. But who knows? I bet the ownership groups don't even know. 

The expansion teams were for 2018 rather than 2017. Think this is a better indication of where things are at:

The obvious reason for Gulati and the USL execs to be there is to discuss the terms of a "merger". This is a from the bigapplesoccer link at the end:

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/cosmos2.php?article_id=46566

U.S. Soccer reportedly is ready to give the USL Second Division status next week. The NASL already has that status, although its existence is in jeopardy because it has lost at least three of its 12 teams for the 2017 -- Minnesota United will join Major League Soccer and the Tampa Bay Rowdies and Ottawa Fury already have bolted to the USL. Rayo OKC and the Fort Lauderdale Strikers face shaky futures as well.

This guy usually knows what he is talking about on USSF D2 related issues:

That leaves Edmonton, Indianapolis, the Cosmos and Miami as the hardcore NASL camp. The only surprise out of that lot based on past information would be  Indianapolis joining the other three in being prepared to go down with the ship and/or not being wanted by the USL.

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

This guy usually knows what he is talking about on USSF D2 related issues:

San Fran in particular would be nuts to walk into NASL. If they haven't paid the expansion fee yet, and even if they did, bolting to USL before really investing in NASL has got to be the safer route

Think the backdrop to this is that the NASL owners are being told that the USSF are about to sanction USL as D2 next week and the NASL would probably get dropped to D3 for failing to meet the sanctioning criteria, if they tried to stagger on with eight teams. At that point it's a no brainer for anyone that doesn't have lots of class B shares in the NASL as is or a vision of the future that revolves around delusions of grandeur about competing head-to-head with MLS to stick with the D2 option, if the entry terms are reasonable and compatable with it being a "merger".

11 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think the backdrop to this is that the NASL owners are being told that the USSF are about to sanction USL as D2 next week and the NASL would probably get dropped to D3 for failing to meet the sanctioning criteria, if they tried to stagger on with eight teams. At that point it's a no brainer for anyone that doesn't have lots of class B shares in the NASL as is or a vision of the future that revolves around delusions of grandeur about competing head-to-head with MLS to stick with the D2 option, if the entry terms are reasonable and compatable with it being a "merger".

Exactly. And with news that the flagship franchise is having financial problems and numerous, any of the parties reportedly interested in NASL franchises this summer have got to be hightailing out of there, and Peterson's comments that they are still in talks are more likely begging them to come back to the table and/or are contingent on some sort of merger. 

The more interesting thing to see is what USL will do with the influx of teams that are accustomed to spending a good chunk more than the average USL teams (30-40k salaries being the norm in NASL vs 12-20k being the norm in USL). There's no official salary cap, but I can't imagine longtime USL franchises would be supportive of franchises coming in that threaten to cause the same salary inflation that NASL struggled with. 

Maybe we see a merger with USL1 and USL2, like some have suggested, or USL aligns even further with MLS by adopting a salary cap

15 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Apparently USSF would prefer a merger of the 2 league's for a new D2 and may be pressuring for it. The MLS reserves and affiliate USL clubs could stay in USL's D3 league with their independents joining in the new D2.

This makes the most sense. As it always has.

Archived