Hoilett to Besiktas?

FootieFool

Be great to see Hoilett and Hutch build some chemistry through regular playing time together. 

Besiktas have made an approach for QPR winger Junior Hoilett, claim reports in Turkey.

The Canadian is out of contract at Loftus Road at the end of the season and is understood to be seriously considering a move to Istanbul to join up with international team-mate Atiba Hutchinson.

According to Turkish newspaper Milliyet, Hutchinson has been acting as the intermediary in the deal and is hopeful of convincing Hoilett to leave London in June.

Besiktas have been keen on Hoilett for a while, having tried to sign him last summer, and believe the prospect of playing Champions League football next term will be enough to persuade the 25-year-old to move to Turkey.

Hoilett began his senior career at Blackburn and spent five years at Ewood Park before signing for QPR in 2012.

http://talksport.com/football/transfer-report-besiktas-working-deal-sign-qpr-winger-junior-hoilett-160419192627

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mixed feelings, but I'd be happy if he did move.  He won't get a contract from QPR or an EPL team, but with this he'll likely be playing Champions League ball next year...

Saying all that, and acknowledging he's our best attacking threat, he's still kind of an unlikable guy.<_< [Irrelevant sorry]

I have been having this thought lately that Hoilett to Besiktas would be a good move. There was a Turkish club (I think Galatasaray) who were interested in him back when he was at Blackburn. Obviously there is a benefit to playing with Hutchinson - but also there may be an opportunity to play in the Champions League. At this stage of his career, playing at a big club in a weaker league would be good for him. He needs to get his reps and get back to being consistently dangerous. A move to Schalke or a Premier League club would see him in a battle for playing time. Competition is good but we need our best players in a rhythm. There will be time for him to play in a big league again but first he needs to shine at a lower level. His finish at QPR has been decent but he is capable of so much more and surely he needs playing time first and foremost to hit the ground running again.    

24 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

This is my FIFA knowledge speaking here, but does Hoilett play before Quaresma and Tore? 

I would expect that Hoilett gets rotated in regularly with players like Quaresma and Tore. I don't think he'd clearly be ahead of them, but I don't think he'd exactly be glued to the bench either. With CL football looming and Turkish Cup and league action next season, there would be plenty of chances for Hoilett to make his mark. 

44 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

This is my FIFA knowledge speaking here, but does Hoilett play before Quaresma and Tore? 

Tore plays on the right wing, so would not be direct competition. Plus i think he's on loan from a club in Germany?

edit: Nevermind, he's not on loan anymore. Plus looks like he's being sold in the summer to West Ham:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/654055/West-Ham-agree-first-signing-new-season-Gokhan-Tore-Besiktas

4 hours ago, shermanator said:

Assuming this isn't just a Turkish tabloid reporting the news, Besiktas could be a good spot for Hoilett.

Right, if it is a slow day in Turkey they automatically start making up things about Canadians playing in 2nd tier England, it's like standard editorial policy. Because there are so many slow days in Turkey.

I am surprised, but very pleasantly.

If Besiktas win the league, and they are 5 up with 5 games left, they go straight in group stage. The 2nd team plays qualifiers. So going to be great enough to watch Atiba in Champions, don't think we've had anyone since Radzinski.

Seeing Hoillet there would be a boost, though I still find it odd they'd be looking at him of all players.

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If Besiktas win the league, and they are 5 up with 5 games left, they go straight in group stage. The 2nd team plays qualifiers. So going to be great enough to watch Atiba in Champions, don't think we've had anyone since Radzinski.

Seeing Hoillet there would be a boost, though I still find it odd they'd be looking at him of all players.

Atiba was in the UCL in 06-07 he scored too.  Also Lars played in 2007-2008.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Lars played with Rosenborg in 07
Milan played a game last year.

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Right, if it is a slow day in Turkey they automatically start making up things about Canadians playing in 2nd tier England, it's like standard editorial policy. Because there are so many slow days in Turkey.

So much bitterness and anger in so many of your posts. Did nobody hug you when you were a boy?

BTW there is a lot of made up stuff in the Turkish press in fact they are notorious for that like in pretty much any country with a lot of tabloids and intense soccer coverage. They wouldn't be able to fill up the space if they did not make stuff up or report lots of rumours. This story could be credible but it could be also a journalist saying Besiktas has a Canadian what other Canadian could I link the club to. I hope it is true though, it would be a good move for him.

50 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

So much bitterness and anger in so many of your posts. Did nobody hug you when you were a boy?

BTW there is a lot of made up stuff in the Turkish press in fact they are notorious for that like in pretty much any country with a lot of tabloids and intense soccer coverage. They wouldn't be able to fill up the space if they did not make stuff up or report lots of rumours. This story could be credible but it could be also a journalist saying Besiktas has a Canadian what other Canadian could I link the club to. I hope it is true though, it would be a good move for him.

Cura te ipsum.

Any place in the world with a decent soccer press (Canada has virtually zero, it's pathetic, the States is better but it is heartless, mechanical, it is dry as shit) has constant speculation, because there are a lot of pages to fill. This includes the "serious" press, there is not one major sports daily that is not full of it, not even the most reliable (L'Equipe or La Gazzetta or Marca, the most successful) are exempt. 

What you hear on the radio is even wilder.

And fans want to hear it all, it all gets brought up in the bars and cafes. But there is no article that is unfounded entirely, that is a naive way of talking about how the journalism works. Even talking about tabloids is naive, since even the best. with no scantily-dressed chicks and with sober design, are close to be tabloids at times. I mean, L'Equipe will regularly make up stories about any rival of a Frenchman doping, they are shameless about it. 

In football some stories are fed by agents (as it benefits the player's value, as in this case), some by clubs, others go from journalists in one country to another. A lot of young journalists make their mark by scooping, but they need to publish 5 to scoop one. But those other four are never fully fabrications, since there is always something there. So saying things are "made up" is plain mistaken, nothing is made up. Another thing is if you want to say "unsubstantiated" or unconfirmed. But that means nothing, since a lot of things going on will never be substantiated or confirmed in a proper journalilstic sense. Until they simply come true.

Hoillet to Besiktas, if it was published in the Turkish press, even the "tabloids", is as on as anything else.

Edit, just to back this: you look at most rumours in The Sun (London) and you will find they are no less reliable or more unsubstantiated than in the so-called "serious press".

20 hours ago, Obinna said:

Not surprised this is the only game you remember :)

He had an early run down the right, Roberto Carlos came in with a hard slide tackle clearance and he was off form for the rest of the game and was subbed out early. That is probably wrong but it is what I think I remember, and I can assure you I want RM to lose always, even in practice.

What bothers me is that I suspect the real motive for making these comments about the Turkish press is racial, coming from a Germanophile even more so. They are Turks, they make things up. People who insist on this shit should simply be banned from posting.

The place where I see the most outright fabrication and baseless speculation is this board, mostly because our soccer press has totally failed us.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What bothers me is that I suspect the real motive for making these comments about the Turkish press is racial, coming from a Germanophile even more so. They are Turks, they make things up. People who insist on this shit should simply be banned from posting.

The place where I see the most outright fabrication and baseless speculation is this board, mostly because our soccer press has totally failed us.

LOL. You try so hard and yet continually come up with ridiculous claims. I was born in Germany and speak the language but am pretty far from being a Germanophile. My relationship with Germany is a pretty complicated one but this is probably not the place to discuss this. But if you are going to accuse me of being a phile at least accuse me of being a Russophile and say I hate Turks because they shot down that Russian plane. Still not true but not as crazy a theory as me being a racist German who hates Turkey.

Nevertheless I have been to Turkey and follow its league, it is the number 4 country of those whose soccer I follow being Canada, Germany, Russia and then Turkey. My Turkish team is Denizlispor. I am pretty sure I have mentioned this many times on the forum. And the press everywhere selectively reports, distorts and makes stuff up etc. including in Canada and Germany and I am no where claiming that the Turkish press is any different than anywhere else. Soccer is also an ideal subject to make things up about since so much of the news is speculation and rumour anyway so many things can't be proved or disproved. And any country that has the vast amount of soccer media coverage like Turkey and Germany have is going to have lots of stories that are made up just to fill up the large amount of content needed. Indeed Bild Zeitung in Germany is very famous for making things up both in their soccer and political coverage and I even talked to professional soccer players in Germany who told me about reading full interviews of themselves in Bild even though they had never spoken to a Bild reporter.

Nice try though. Wouldn't your time be better spent in just discussing the various subjects on the forum instead of all the personal attacks and claims that everyone here doesn't know what they are talking about? If you think this forum is just a cesspool of outright fabrication and baseless speculation why do you even bother posting here?

why do you have to bring race into this. There's more than enough bullshit going around in the rumour factories to take reports like this with a grain of salt. Every Italian who may be looking to extend their career in a place like MLS has been linked to TFC since Giovinco moved, that's what these guys do. Look for connections and push the shit out of it, whether it's an agent, club or just the reporter full on making shit up, that's what happens.

Archived