Canadian Premier League

ted

2 hours ago, matty said:

The CFL is a pretty good draw in Hamilton, more than 24,000 people have attended each game this year in Hamilton. If you think the CFL wouldn't work in KW because it's viewed as second rate to the NFL then how do you think the CPL would succeed since the "real top flight" is already operating in Southern Ontario?

CFL is a good draw in Hamilton, the rest of Southern Ontario is debatable.

Despite what MLS and Gerber would have you believe, MLS isn't growing In Canada. They have a deep hold on the big 3 markets but NOT the rest of the country. It's misleading to think that western Canada loves the Cap, that all of Ontario loves TFC and I can tell you first hand that outside of Montreal Metro area, no one cares about Impact in Quebec or the maritimes.

*But if you put a team in Halifax and Moncton for a regional rivalry and potentially expend the rivalry with Quebec.

*Teams in Quebec City and Sherbrooke to have a rivalry with Ottawa

*Battle of Ontario with Ottawa, Kingston, Oshawa, Mississauga, Hamilton, Kitchener-Waterloo, London and Windsor.

*Prairies fight between Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton 

*West coast fight between Victoria and maybe Kelowna.

These above (a long term vision of course) is how you draw interest from you biggest markets. 

Also can we stop this very negative and inferiority complex that we can't do anything without American support or the American way????

Like I pointed out above, soccer is a very untapped market in Canada outside of the big 3 while NFL pretty much already locked down the whole country in regards to football.... hence NFL having strong tv ratings vs MLS and CFL. 

Soccer has never been this hot in Canada and now's the the time to capitalize on it. Since people outside of the big 3 don't watch MLS, the CSA advertising CPL as division 1 and putting the emphasis on its Canadian content is smart.

NASL and USL can't draw in Canada because it is indeed a second rated American League. According to what the CSA is planning, CPL will put an emphasis on its Canadian content with the 1st division seal. In other words, you're giving Canadians their very own league, by Canadians, for Canadians, full of Canadians.

Canadians LOVE supporting their own. Bars will fill up to watch Rao ice or Genie Bouchard in the finals, Canadian athletes competing for medals in sports no one watches, whenever the woman soccer team plays. Sadly, we're not giving that many opportunities to do so due to MLB and NBA sticking with Toronto, NHL and their anti-Canada agenda giving franchises to desert cities instead of Canada, the CFL incompetence at expending when they had a hot product. Hence, Canadians commitment to support their local team is always put in doubt. If anything, look at how University football and CHL is supported. Look at the London Knights or Quebec Remparts.

CPL is totally realistic.

-Start with a small salary cap, pay good Canadian players NASL salaries or better to poach NASL of Canadian talent

-Get Canadian MLS players that are barely playing to come home. Get USL Canadians players to come home.

-The pool of international players is so HUGE that it comes down to team's ability to SCOUT. That's how you can sign GEMS as DPs at lower costs than MLS but that could be of similar talent from Central and South America.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Futballer said:

love the passion you are all displaying as i know their are millions of Canadians that feel that same passion too for a Canadian Premier League and i will go on record again and state the only Hold up to realizing fans and investors for the CPL is our Governing Body.

The Canadian Soccer Association have seen the Business Plan so all that is needed is for the CSA to Give the ok to Sanction the CPL as our Canadian National Soccer League.

Other investors will then step up and purchase their franchise rights as there is nothing stopping the CPL Train from been the most successful League Project from the onset. 

There are many brilliant businessmen and Women in Canada and they all know and says it take the CSA to give that final Ok for the CPL to Launch.

Guess that answers what "phase one" meant in Anthony Totera's tweet and explains why Dino Rossi thought we would get a definitive answer by the end of the year. Hopefully Futballer will answer baulderdash77's questions about the number of teams that is envisaged based on interest from investors so far and their locations. The "other investors will the step up and purchase their franchise rights" bit would fit in with why the Ticats front office people were telling baulderdash77 that it was still under discussion and nothing was imminent in terms of an announcement. Would it be a bridge to far to suggest that the tweets from Ottawa about USL suggest that the Fury were letting it be known that they were less than impressed with the business plan, because they prefer a less ambitious bolt-on to a standalone league?

1 hour ago, matty said:

I think you and a lot of people are getting over the top with KW. Firstly, why would anyone invest HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS in a stadium that seats 25,000 in KW just for a soccer team when you would be competing for fans against TWO LARGER MARKETS THAT HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED FOR YEARS?

MLS is the NFL for soccer in Canada. If the CPL is paying less money than it then naturually the MLS is going to be viewed as a better product than the CPL. Last time I checked the rumoured $1.5m(CND) cap is a lot less than $3.49m(USD and that's not including DPs.

There will likely never be a CPL team in KW

Kitchener Waterloo has STRONG corporate presence. If anything, that would be one of the safest markets in term of sponsorship. In term of population, University town and tech business cluster, it's a perfect marketime for a CPL franchise

MLS being the NFL for soccer???? HE'LL NO.

People outside of the big 3 don't care about MLS. 

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

The example I gave would be when the CPL stabilizes and is looking for expansion. KW is an hour away from both of the cities in question. That's why.

MLS may be of higher quality, but TFC's ticket buying fanbase in KW is minimal if any at all. An upstart team in KW has nothing to worry about. No significant population drives hours to see an MLS team. If KW's OHL team can survive with the NHL in Toronto, a CPL team in KW can thrive with MLS, a league that is vastly inferior to all other major NA pro sports leagues, in Toronto. I'll say it again, MLS IS NOT THE NFL. 

The idea there will be a team in K-W is beyond parody.

The OHL teams do well because they're not competing with the NHL but feeding the NHL's system. It's appeal is that you're watching the "stars of tomorrow." Also OHL players do not get paid. The comparison is absurd and you know it.

The CPL will be a professional league and teams will need large investments to get off the ground and I hate to break it to you but those investments will likely prevent there from being a team in K-W. Especially when it will be competing against both GTA CPL, Hamilton's team and Toronto FC.

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Kitchener Waterloo has STRONG corporate presence. If anything, that would be one of the safest markets in term of sponsorship. In term of population, University town and tech business cluster, it's a perfect marketime for a CPL franchise

MLS being the NFL for soccer???? HE'LL NO.

People outside of the big 3 don't care about MLS. 

Try this test: Go on a general Canada forum and ask "Should Canada have its own soccer leage?" you'll get a ton of people saying "Well we have MLS and wouldn't that be way better?"

Honest question: Do you actually think there will ever be a team in K-W? I want you to actually think about it seriously.

16 minutes ago, matty said:

The idea there will be a team in K-W is beyond parody.

The OHL teams do well because they're not competing with the NHL but feeding the NHL's system. It's appeal is that you're watching the "stars of tomorrow." Also OHL players do not get paid. The comparison is absurd and you know it.

The CPL will be a professional league and teams will need large investments to get off the ground and I hate to break it to you but those investments will likely prevent there from being a team in K-W. Especially when it will be competing against both GTA CPL, Hamilton's team and Toronto FC.

Try this test: Go on a general Canada forum and ask "Should Canada have its own soccer leage?" you'll get a ton of people saying "Well we have MLS and wouldn't that be way better?"

Honest question: Do you actually think there will ever be a team in K-W? I want you to actually think about it seriously.

In case of the CHL, we're not debating business model but local support. If anything, it shows that people will indeed support their local teams despite having the cheap Buffalo Sabres or Maples Leafs within reach. The Memorial cup is hotter than the Calder cup which is a higher level than CHL. No one cares about AHL.

MLS is like the AHL to me. They are nowhere near EPL, la Liga, Série A or Bundesliga. Canadians aren't fool by MLS, hence Champions League being a bigger draw along with EPL. 

MLS is AHL to most of us, not NHL. Just like hockey, people would rather support CHL and the memorial cup then AHL and their Calder trophy.

Also, in regard to Kitchener, down the road if there's an investor willing to get a 10k stadium, yes it would work. Sponsorship would be easy and drawing 10K from a 500k population is beyond realistic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that the big 3 are in MLS but I hate how that league are putting green obstacles to Canadian players. It's a great show with the likes of Drogba and Giovinco but it really doesn't do much for us. 

CPL might be lower level but the quality of play can increase over time and it will...that the beauty of soccer. Strip some MLS clubs of their DP and it quickly becomes unwatchable

23 minutes ago, matty said:

I know this wasn't asked to me, but I will say that I hope someday we will be able to have a CPL team in KW. I am of course far from certain it will happen. We don't even know for sure if year 1 of the CPL will happen, and most of the people talking about KW are talking about a year 10ish expansion.

It's worth pointing out that London and KW each had teams in the old CSL, and that was when their populations were about 380k and 350k (metro, in 1991) respectively. Now they are both over half a million and in another 12ish years will likely be close to if not over 600k. I think that would probably put them each at about the size of Winnipeg when the Jets joined the NHL in 1979.

Edit: Just found that Winnipeg's metro population in 1981 was 585k. That's the same ballpark that I would expect London and KW to be at in the timeframe we are talking about.

21 minutes ago, Ansem said:

In case of the CHL, we're not debating business model but local support. If anything, it shows that people will indeed support their local teams despite having the cheap Buffalo Sabres or Maples Leafs within reach. The Memorial cup is hotter than the Calder cup which is a higher level than CHL. No one cares about AHL.

MLS is like the AHL to me. They are nowhere near EPL, la Liga, Série A or Bundesliga. Canadians aren't fool by MLS, hence Champions League being a bigger draw along with EPL. 

MLS is AHL to most of us, not NHL. Just like hockey, people would rather support CHL and the memorial cup then AHL and their Calder trophy.

Also, in regard to Kitchener, down the road if there's an investor willing to get a 10k stadium, yes it would work. Sponsorship would be easy and drawing 10K from a 500k population is beyond realistic.

Also if ELP, La Liga and Bundsesliga are the NHL and MLS is AHL then the CPL will be the ECHL. Who gives a fuck about the ECHL? Even less people than the AHL.

We're going to be spending way less money than not just Europe's elite and MLS and as a result the league is going to be fighting an uphill battle in a great any markets. While MLS might not be respected of a big deal people across the country will still regard it as better and that will be a massive factor in where the CPL decides to put teams.

The fact there's hasn't been an attempt by the CFL to put a team in K-W is very telling about how much trust there is in the market. There hasn't even been a noted attempt in the area to get a team going. While you can say "the CFL isn't a draw in southern Ontario because NFL," I can easily say if you've got 3 PRO teams within 90 minutes of the region that play the exact same sport there's a real chance it's going to be at the saturation point.

Could it happen? Maybe but the chance is so slim that seriously talking about it at this stage is insane! If it were to happen it'd be likely 20+ years down the road.

37 minutes ago, matty said:

Also if ELP, La Liga and Bundsesliga are the NHL and MLS is AHL then the CPL will be the ECHL. Who gives a fuck about the ECHL? Even less people than the AHL.

We're going to be spending way less money than not just Europe's elite and MLS and as a result the league is going to be fighting an uphill battle in a great any markets. While MLS might not be respected of a big deal people across the country will still regard it as better and that will be a massive factor in where the CPL decides to put teams.

The fact there's hasn't been an attempt by the CFL to put a team in K-W is very telling about how much trust there is in the market. There hasn't even been a noted attempt in the area to get a team going. While you can say "the CFL isn't a draw in southern Ontario because NFL," I can easily say if you've got 3 PRO teams within 90 minutes of the region that play the exact same sport there's a real chance it's going to be at the saturation point.

Could it happen? Maybe but the chance is so slim that seriously talking about it at this stage is insane! If it were to happen it'd be likely 20+ years down the road.

Don't know what to tell you. You don't seem to get that NFL already have the football market locked down while no one cares about MLS outside of the big 3.

Also CHL is more watched than AHL and ECHL who happens to be American leagues. 

So there's an appetite for domestic product within Canada and the market outside of the big 3 is pretty much untapped.

I think you tend to overestimate the level of play of MLS. Strip them of their very expensive DP and make them keep their 50k players on the pitch and you start to understand why European leagues don't respect MLS.

MLS will always draw the bigger DP than CPL, doesn't mean that CPL can't work with DP like Montreal Piatti from Argentina to help make our domestic players better.

That's what we've been saying. It wouldn't happen right away. However, 10 or so years down the line when the league stabilizes is a possibility.

As for the CFL, it's already been explained to you a few times. No owner or the city itself has expressed interest in bringing a franchise there. It has nothing to do with the CFL itself. If an owner built a suitable venue and said he wants to expand there, the league would have no objections. Wait, I forgot, the league has a "lucrative" TV contract now. They can't be dividing that up anymore than they are now, lol. I can see the league making a short decided decision like that and not let them into the league even though it would probably boost future tv ratings.

Also, I stick by my CHL/NHL analogy. Not absurd at all.

One more thing, the CFL isn't a big draw in southern Ontario because most people never played the sport competitively growing up unlike soccer. Why do you think the NFL is so concerned about youth football participation dropping off in the future? That and the casual viewership of the NFL just compounds the problem further for Southern Ontario.

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that the big 3 are in MLS but I hate how that league are putting green obstacles to Canadian players. It's a great show with the likes of Drogba and Giovinco but it really doesn't do much for us. 

CPL might be lower level but the quality of play can increase over time and it will...that the beauty of soccer. Strip some MLS clubs of their DP and it quickly becomes unwatchable

If you assume that MLS isn't going to get to that level you're probably correct, but with the amount of money being invested in the infrastructure, in community outreach, grassroots development, stadium etc. the league will grow faster than you think. As support grows so will the TV deal, and when that grows MLS will be able to compete with the European leagues. It's a matter of time. If the CPL can establish itself in the local culture before then then maybe you have a chance, there is still a chance that MLS will slowly erode it's market even after that, but if the CPL can't establish itself in the local soccer culture prior to that then the league is destined to die. 

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Don't know what to tell you. You don't seem to get that NFL already have the football. Market locked down while no one cares about MLS outside of the big 3.

Also CHL is more watched than AHL and ECHL who happens to be American leagues. 

So there's ano appetite for domestic product within Canada and the market outside of the big 3 is pretty much untapped.

I think you tend to overestimate the level of play of MLS. Strip them of their very expensive DP and make them keep their 50k players on the pitch and you start to understand why European leagues don't respect MLS.

MLS will always draw the bigger DP thanot CPL, doesn't mean that CPL can't work with DP like Montreal Piatti from Argentina to help make our domestic players better.

Why do you keep mentioning the CHL is comparison to PRO LEAGUES that are viewed as lower. The CHL's appeal isn't just that it's Canadian but that it's Canadian and you're seeing future stars. The AHL and ECHL have stars of tomorrow but it also has a lot of never was players which makes it less appealing.

I'm not over estimating MLS' talent, I said "fine the MLS is the AHL". I honestly don't get why you can see how MLS, despiting being lesser than the ELP, will still be viewed as stronger than the CPL and that will have an impact on certain markets like K-W, especially if there are 2 additional teams in near by media centres.

Now factor in building a 10-20k stadium (likely in the $40-100m range even if they just expanded the stadium in Waterloo) and paying an expensive expansion fee. You need an owner that's willing to spend around $100m just to get a team up and running. And unless you can guarantee that stadium is packed every game. which will be hard considering most want this league to average 4-8k a game in a much larger markets like Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton. Add in that there will be 3 near by teams not that far away and it's one of the biggest risk investments in sports.

7 minutes ago, Macksam said:

That's what we've been saying. It wouldn't happen right away but 10 or so years down the line when the league stabilizes is a possibility.

As for the CFL, it's already been explained to you a few times. No owner or the city itself has expressed interest in bringing a franchise there. It has nothing to do with the CFL itself. If an owner built a suitable venue and said he wants to expand there, the league would have no objections. Wait, I forgot, the league is has "lucrative",TV contract now. They can't be dividing that up anymore than they are now, lol

I like how you left out the word "were" because that "were" is simply me admitting there's like a micro chance they find an owner willing to invest $100m to build a stadium, build an organisation and pay a franchise fee for a team in a city that isn't one of the 3 major media markets in the province that happens to be within a 90 minute drive of two of the province's big 3 markets.

Unless K-W does get a CFL team to share the stadium, I don't see anyone investing in a soccer team for the region ever. While it's great for the development of the game in Canada, it's a terrible investment just because of the amount of risk.

I think people who are overly pessimistic fail to realize that it is entirely possible that we will eventually reach a tipping point in terms of fan loyalty.  

Let's say, for the sake of argument(i know it's not the case, but bear with me) that the KHL was on par or better than the NHL in terms of talent.  Are you telling me that Oilers fans would all of a sudden abandon the Oilers if there was a league across the pond that might be a little better?  I highly doubt it.

I understand we are all sitting here basically debating, trying to rationalize everything, but some things, like fan loyalty, don't necessarily have to be rational.  In fact, fan loyalty is, for the most part, inherently irrational.

I'm not saying there aren't stumbling blocks, i'm just saying if we make it taboo to not support your local club(at the very least as well as another euro club) I think we could potentially see a shift.

Is it going to happen overnight?  Hell no.  But slowly but surely as long as we do things right it will happen.  MLS is now reaping the rewards of the roots that were put down in the old NASL days, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an exponential trend to occur.

That, and Canada ain't gonna stop growing anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, matty said:

Why do you keep mentioning the CHL is comparison to PRO LEAGUES that are viewed as lower. The CHL's appeal isn't just that it's Canadian but that it's Canadian and you're seeing future stars. The AHL and ECHL have stars of tomorrow but it also has a lot of never was players which makes it less appealing.

I'm not over estimating MLS' talent, I said "fine the MLS is the AHL". I honestly don't get why you can see how MLS, despiting being lesser than the ELP, will still be viewed as stronger than the CPL and that will have an impact on certain markets like K-W, especially if there are 2 additional teams in near by media centres.

Now factor in building a 10-20k stadium (likely in the $40-100m range even if they just expanded the stadium in Waterloo) and paying an expensive expansion fee. You need an owner that's willing to spend around $100m just to get a team up and running. And unless you can guarantee that stadium is packed every game. which will be hard considering most want this league to average 4-8k a game in a much larger markets like Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton. Add in that there will be 3 near by teams not that far away and it's one of the biggest risk investments in sports.

I like how you left out the word "were" because that "were" is simply me admitting there's like a micro chance they find an owner willing to invest $100m to build a stadium, build an organisation and pay a franchise fee for a team in a city that isn't one of the 3 major media markets in the province that happens to be within a 90 minute drive of two of the province's big 3 markets.

Unless K-W does get a CFL team to share the stadium, I don't see anyone investing in a soccer team for the region ever. While it's great for the development of the game in Canada, it's a terrible investment just because of the amount of risk.

The world doesn't operate on what you "see" happening in the future.

9 minutes ago, Macksam said:

The world doesn't operate on what you "see" happening in the future.

No but it usually does follow trends and to date no one has ever seen K-W as a worth while sports investment beyond the junior level.

Before you say the CPL itself doesn't follow trends please note that it likely is if it closely follows the CFL model and keeps as close as possible to proven markets.

1 minute ago, matty said:

No but it usually does follow trends and to date no one has ever seen K-W as a worth while sports investment beyond the junior level.

Wrong again. The NBLC expanded there recently and prior to that, Butch Carter wanted the city to host a franchise from his start up professional basketball league as well.

7 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Wrong again. The NBLC expanded there recently and prior to that, Butch Carter wanted the city to host a franchise from his start up professional basketball league as well.

I admit I missed the NBLC (because it's the NBLC and hardly anyone thinks about it in Canada) but the NBLC isn't exactly a runaway success and will not be spending anywhere near the money the CPL will be (cap is $150,000 not $1.5million and you don't need to BUILD A STADIUM FOR IT). Also Butch Carter's league wasn't able to get off the ground even with CHCH so why even count it?

Also HOW AM I WRONG AGAIN? You've defied logic with fantasy which isn't really proving any points at all.

10 minutes ago, matty said:

"I admit I missed the NBLC (because it's the NBLC and hardly anyone thinks about it in Canada) but the NBLC isn't exactly a runaway success and will not be spending anywhere near the money the CPL will be (cap is $150,000 not $1.5million and you don't need to BUILD A STADIUM FOR IT). Also Butch Carter's league wasn't able to get off the ground even with CHCH so why even count it?

Also HOW AM I WRONG AGAIN? You've defied logic with fantasy which isn't really proving any points at all.

No, I've given my opinion on how I predict the future unfolding through my arguments, which have been a lot more convincing than yours considering you reeled a few times already while I stood firm on all my points. Sure, you can say its "fantasy". However, you've given nothing more than "fantasy" either. The only difference is your fantasy is bleak for the sake of being bleak.

15 minutes ago, Macksam said:

No, I've given my opinion on how I predict the future unfolding through my arguments, which have been a lot more convincing than yours considering you reeled a few times already while I stood firm on all my points. Sure, you can say its "fantasy". However, you've given nothing more than "fantasy" either. The only difference is your fantasy is bleak for the sake of being bleak.

Ummm my fantasy was based  on the fact no one (aside from the relatively unknown NBLC) has ever dared put a team into K-W largely because A) it would cost $40-100M likely to build a suitable stadium or expand to get a decent one (BMO cost $40m originally and it's gonna cost $35m(USD) to expand San Antonio's soccer stadium to seat 18,000) B ) K-W is fairly close to Toronto/Hamilton (the biggest media market and 3rd biggest market in the province) which will already have teams likely C) The large portion of the population might not be interested because there better leagues D) The expansion fee will likely be around $10-20m

I'm basing my opinion that K-W will not get a CPL team on a number of factors. Your argument "untapped market with a good number people". You have a really weak argument and don't seem to want to admit that a K-W team is really fucking unlikely. I've been able to admit there is a tiny chance for a team but you seem unable to admit "yea the odds are slim"

ANYWAYS I'm dote arguing such a stupid argument as will K-W have a team or not

14 minutes ago, matty said:

Ummm my fantasy was based  on the fact no one (aside from the relatively unknown NBLC) has ever dared put a team into K-W largely because A) it would cost $40-100M likely to build a suitable stadium or expand to get a decent one (BMO cost $40m originally and it's gonna cost $35m(USD) to expand San Antonio's soccer stadium to seat 18,000) B ) K-W is fairly close to Toronto/Hamilton (the biggest media market and 3rd biggest market in the province) which will already have teams likely C) The large portion of the population might not be interested because there better leagues D) The expansion fee will likely be around $10-20m

I'm basing my opinon that K-W will not get a CPL team on a number of factors. Your arguement "untapped market with a good number people". You have a really weak argument and don't seem to want to admit that a K-W team is really fucking unlikely. I've been able to admit there is a tiny chance for a team but you seem unable to admit "yea the odds are slim"

A) Cost of a stadium is always an issue. That's always the case for a lot of pro teams but they still happen.

B) KW is an hour away from both cities, hour and a half if you count the travel towards BMO itself. People would prefer a sporting option closer to home.

C) MLS is not a big enough league to cause that.

D) See A

Your argument is pretty much "it will cost money, it's not going to happen" and the laughable "there's a team that plays an hour and half East, even though I've never seen a match there, I can't buy a ticket to my local team because that team an hour and half east exists..."

Just now, matty said:

Waterloo actually....I kid! Kitchener

bahahaha and you're totally convinced your town couldn't have a team!  Come on buddy, what kind of self-fulfilling prophecy is that!  Pitter patter let's get at er'.  You just need some loyal footy-soldiers to general.  Phase 2 of the logo plan is sending out little wooden tokens to help find new people who might be interested.  Did u like the one we did for KWC or no?  

I'm like fuckin jack and i need some help planting some magic beans, or however the story goes.

Archived