FC Edmonton 2016 Season

canadianfoot

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jedinathan said:

That would cause the Canadian content to go up though, if Watson and Fordyce are counted as Canadians. Not to mention that Fisk is signed until the end of 2017. I'd imagine that Ledgerwood is as well which means you could see FCEd starting potentially 4-5 Canadians (Watson, Fordyce, Ledgerwood, Fisk, Shome). 

Lets be honest, can't have your cake and eat it too... Nik is barely a product of Canada... Most of his development came in Germany after he was 16. If you count him, then you have to count Watson and Fordyce as well. 

Watson and Fordyce will be counted as domestics not Canadians. They will only be Canadians if they get citizenship (and technically in soccer terms only if they are eligible to play for Canada). And even if they were good enough to play for us by the time that would happen they would be at or approaching the end of their careers.

As for Halilic, it is probably a good move for his career to move to Germany at his age but at the same time I doubt FCE got very much compensation from a small 4th division club. However, if he does well in the future they may get something if they negotiated a percentage of future transfer fees.

10 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Watson and Fordyce will be counted as domestics not Canadians. They will only be Canadians if they get citizenship (and technically in soccer terms only if they are eligible to play for Canada). And even if they were good enough to play for us by the time that would happen they would be at or approaching the end of their careers.

As for Halilic, it is probably a good move for his career to move to Germany at his age but at the same time I doubt FCE got very much compensation from a small 4th division club. However, if he does well in the future they may get something if they negotiated a percentage of future transfer fees.

All FCEd really needed to get was a few thousand for him, and the agreement that they get a percentage from any further sale or transfers. Pays off for them, and now they can actually point to player that's gone to a professional club (aside from FCEd) who they've benefited from. Sets a standard, and gets their name out there IMO.

On August 17, 2016 at 0:05 PM, jedinathan said:

They wouldn't be yet. I presume that their eventual goal is citizenship, but that's a bit off.

Then it's not Canadian content in my books. If they were eligible for the national team, this situation would be great. However, right now, it's neither here or there and to that, I say this is a waste that serves no purpose. I rather see young Canadians getting starts over them. 

On 8/16/2016 at 7:54 PM, jedinathan said:

That would cause the Canadian content to go up though, if Watson and Fordyce are counted as Canadians. Not to mention that Fisk is signed until the end of 2017. I'd imagine that Ledgerwood is as well which means you could see FCEd starting potentially 4-5 Canadians (Watson, Fordyce, Ledgerwood, Fisk, Shome).  

There is a massive difference between a foreign player receiving permanent residency so that he counts as domestic and that same player becoming a Canadian citizen and fulfilling the FIFA residency requirements so that said player can play internationally for Canada. 

To be honest with you, as @shermanator kinda said, doesn't really matter. FCEd is getting results right now. I'm ok with their Canadian content. Everything I've heard is that Miller is really big on Shome, and with the academy now producing players that are being sold off... That's exactly what I want to see from this club. 

Lets not forget that if not for some family stuff, Edward would still be on FCEd. He turned down Ottawa several times, but it's the best of a bad situation now... allows him to keep playing professionally and be close to his family during a tough period. Roberts is still tied to the club and is getting plenty of regular minutes. Hell even Handon is getting time now. People should watch Paulus' Twitter... He often points out how many academy products have and are progressing either through universities or a higher level than the academy. And that's what FCEd should be doing... Allowing Canadian players a stepping stone, while fielding a competitive first team. 

I thought the initial article said they were writing the citizenship test?  Those guys have probably been perm residents for a long time (years) as they have both been with eddies for 3-4 years.  That is fast to become citizen (my wife had to wait 5 years) but maybe CSA is pulling strings.  But I think the guys earlier in the thread said Fordyce is cap tied anyway.  

But overall I dont think emdonton is doing too bad a job.  They are bringing prospects through (Bokai,Roberts,Shome,Zebie), giving old vets a place (Ledgerwood) and lost sheep a home in canada (Fisk).  And getting a couple of european vets to become canadian citizens is just a added bonus.    

Really, the FCed Organization isn't doing a ton wrong, at least that I can see.

They're trying to provide some spots for locals/canadians while still being competitive, and lately really seeming to find an identity.  

The one thing that is tangible that I would really like to see happen, and I'm not really sure who's shoulders this falls on and It was @jedinathan who mentioned it, is make Clarke really feel like a home stadium.  

Right now it just does not feel like home and it really isn't nearly the fan experience that it could be. 

#MakeClarkeHome?

Can anybody offer me any help/advice on how to watch Edmonton matches on the NASL website? Every time I go there and click on the Canada viewers tab, it says I am not authorized to view those streams. So I end up watching Ottawa instead, because I can find the streams for their matches on their site directly.

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Sounds like Matt van Oekel stole another game for the Eddies. 1-0 win in Tampa puts them on the top of the Fall table, as well as the top of the combined standings. I think it's safe to say he's redeemed himself after a very shaky 2015.

CqWsqHnUMAAYe15.jpg

I don't even want to think of the number of points MVO has earned for FCEd this year. Prob every 1-0 game could have (and maybe should have) gone the other way if not for Matt. 

I think every single fan in Edmonton recognizes it... But the league? It's funny that they're JUST getting recognized as a threat lately. And honestly from the reaction of fans on Twitter, I'm not sure people take them seriously. For a club that was one point out of the spring title and is in serious contention for fall/overall, people still seem to think they can beat Edmonton. 

Eddies are winless in 4 and are now 3rd in the fall season on goal differential, tied with Miami FC, 5 points behind the Cosmos with a game in hand. They are still second overall in the combined table, 10 points up on Miami for a playoff spot. Playoffs look good, but the club will need some luck to get a home playoff date. Scoring is still a big time question mark for the club with 2 goals in the last 4 games, while their defence is a little more back to earth giving up 4 goals in 4 games.

Also, the club has drawn 2007, 1526 and 1568 for their last 3 home games. Don't know how much of their big plan to increase butts in seats their GM has executed, but its not getting results so far. Very disappointing to see the club back down to 2012 levels of attendance.

Archived