FC Edmonton 2016 Season

canadianfoot

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

H&C grounds have loosened rather broadly in the last decade. They no longer just include refugee/persecution cases in those guidelines for PR any longer. 

Plus it probably helps the cause to cap-tie everyone for the CMNT.

Edit: the CMNT player pool actually falls under H&C these days

Watson is 30, Fordyce is 29..compared to the 2 Impact players who get talked about the most Bush-30, Camra-32, they dont seem so old.  And Fordyce got 8 goals last season.  I would hope they would at least get a sniff.  Either way good on them for coming and wanting to become citizens and make canada home.  

I will agree that it's good that Watson and Fordyce want to make Canada home, and hopefully they can get involved in the development of this sport in this country in the future. But it won't be on the pitch with our national team.

The argument that Camara and Bush are older than Watson and Fordyce is not at all relevant. First because Fordyce and Watson have never played at a level of MLS or better, so we have no idea what they can bring at a level above. Secondly, neither Camara nor Bush play the same positions as Watson of Fordyce. A 30 year old GK and a 30 year old CB are at vastly different stages in their career. Third, the argument to nationalize Bush or Camara reeks of desperation by some who are looking to gather any shred of talent that could maybe suit up for the national team for a game or two (not necessarily saying you're arguing for it, just giving my thoughts on that)

Not sure how many FC Edmonton games you watch, but here's what I've seen over the last 3+ years. Watson is a fantastic NASL CB, but 15 years of playing as a tough, physical CB means that you aren't going to last into your mid 30's. It's clear his body is slowly breaking down from the wear and tar over the year. Watson looks good so far in 2016 but in 2015 he was really off last year. Were he 25, I would think we have an argument that he could compete with the likes of Lefevre or Roberts. At 30, I disagree completely.

The argument that Fordyce shouldn't be near the national team was not based on his age, but rather based on what he can do on the pitch. He's a serviceable attacking mid / forward at the NASL level but nothing more. He goes on long scoring slumps. He's often injured. And when he's on the pitch he brings nothing  to the table to compete with the likes of Osorio, Bekker, Petrasso, or Froese. He's not a great passer, not a great finisher. He scored 8 but he probably should have scored 15 with the chances he has. Ameobi is much more of a clinical finisher for Edmonton (although not this year)

Shermanator you really crapped in my cornflakes!  All good points, I was trying to "think positive"...trying to stop "sending out negative waves man".  (If you recognize those quotes you are probably over 50) But you are right, hopefully they can have a impact on the development of the game in AB, or at least open up a international spot for the Eddies at the very least.  I am still very curious as to how they got to the point of writing the citizenship test in 3 years though.  Seems very fast.  

Heh, sorry to be downer. I do think the idea of having these players grow the game in Canada on the development side after their playing careers are done is fantastic. IMO, this type of scenario is where Watson, Fordyce, Camara, Bush, Ousted, Laba or Peiser can make their biggest impact on the game in this country. 

That's where I think Miller is succeeding. By bringing in players that want to stay in Edmonton when the season is done. Of course, their results on the pitch leave much to be desired.

Think about the impact that Tommy Wheeldon has had on the game in Calgary after his career with the Storm / Mustangs. Much more powerful than any impact he could have had on the pitch.

Pretty uneventful first half at Clarke. The biggest thing of note is that Julian de Guzman had to be replaced in the 27th minute with what appeared to be a hamstring injury. Eddies really miss Lance Laing, their set pieces have been terrible all game.

The Eddies don't draw very well, but today's game has an exceptionally poor turnout. I know the weather is poor today but it's really disappointing to see the stands so empty in year 6.

Untitled.png

Steven Sandor mentioned on the stream that Fordyce has said that he would play for Canada if asked. So, there's that. Also mentioned that he's not eligible as of today. Doesn't have citizenship yet either way, but won't be eligible even when getting his citizenship until an appeal to FIFA is made.

4 hours ago, shermanator said:

Steven Sandor mentioned on the stream that Fordyce has said that he would play for Canada if asked. So, there's that. Also mentioned that he's not eligible as of today. Doesn't have citizenship yet either way, but won't be eligible even when getting his citizenship until an appeal to FIFA is made.

Fordyce is in the same situation as Koffie is. Don't hold your breath people.

Good 1-0 win for the Eddies in Jacksonville, giving them back to back wins. Only having 4 players on the bench has to be concerning. With Raudales getting injured what are they going to do in Indy on Saturday?

Only watched the second half but I liked Shome. He seems to have some promise. Ledgerwood was not involved much at all. He sat in front of the back 4 in a 4-1-4-1. Watching that game, I couldn't help but think that they really could have used Dunfield in the middle of the park. Flipped over to the TFC2 match after with his commentating...Terry should have stuck to playing the game.

Was nice to watch the match on BeIn Sports.

FCEd will be getting back Nyassi and Corea for Saturday's game, which should provide some relief. Tomi is week to week right now, Eckersley should be back any game now, and Jones is nearing a return as well.

What was scarier about yesterdays game was that Roberts was apparently ill, and wouldn't have been able to play anyways. So basically a back up keeper and two subs were actually available.

On 29/4/2016 at 3:16 PM, Dub Narcotic said:

FC Montreal won't outplay anybody but it would be interesting to see Whitecaps2 and TF2 vs. the Fury and FCE. Last year's Fury would have romped over the USL teams but it sure doesn't seem so this year.

Last year's WC2 was not NASL level, they played like kids and got kids' results. I don't know about TFC2. I think it is not too much different now. 

In any case, IMO you should not allow a B or second team to play the Voyageurs Cup, it is like giving one club two entries. I know this is done in some places, or was (Germany?), but I do not agree with it, esp since you can move players from one roste to the other. So I don't think you will ever get to compare our current USL with our current NASL. 

Glad Edmonton is getting results, but seeing those crowds is disappointing, I think having a cozier stadium would sure help.

Not sure you can get much cozier than Clarke to be honest... There's a lot of work being done by the front office right now to get things in place for a stronger fall season. I was able to sit down with Jay a week ago, and he's got a goal of a MINIMUM of 80% of the stadium full (not sold, actually there) for the entire fall season.

Archived