FC Edmonton 2016 Season

canadianfoot

11 hours ago, shermanator said:

Fielding a heavily rotated squad, FC Edmonton lose 1-0 in Miami to finish the fall season at 10-6-6. Up next, at Indy on Saturday in the playoffs.

Will be interesting to see who stays and who goes after this season. I could see Gustavo, Galvao, and possibly both of the Smiths getting released. Other than that, have to think it will be a pretty similar squad.

I'd like to see Di Biase too. Racist drama and hasn't brought much to the table.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup Di Biase hasn't brought much. Isn't any better than Raudaules. He has to go too. Basically all of Miller spanish signings haven't worked out. I think I would think to signing international players from England, Ireland, Belgium, Scotland etc. 

FC Edmonton prepare for biggest game in franchise history

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/soccer/fc-edmonton-prepare-for-biggest-game-in-franchise-history

"FC Edmonton will play their most important game in franchise history Saturday.

Yet, head coach Colin Miller is trying to downplay that aspect of their North American Soccer League semifinal, on the road, against the Indy Eleven (1 p.m., NASL.com)."

• 2 weeks later...

FCE’s MVO takes NASL Golden Glove

http://the11.ca/fces-mvo-takes-nasl-golden-glove/

The award goes to the keeper with the lowest goals-against average in NASL, so the announcement of Matt VanOekel as the winner of the league’s Golden Glove award was merely a formality.

But the league announced VanOekel’s award win on Monday. The FC Edmonton keeper enjoyed a record-breaking season, recording a league-record 16 clean sheets and a goals-against average of, whelp, 0.55.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 0:37 PM, Moldy9 said:

Hi Edmontonians. I'm getting some friends together to watch the IMFC vs TFC first leg from Duggans Boundary Irish Pub in Bonnie Doon Tues 22 Nov at 6pm

PM me if interested. 

IMG_3932.JPG

I believe that the Edmonton Supporters Group were planning on doing something at The Tavern (Whyte Ave) as well. There's some info on their forums.

EDIT: corrected the location

13 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Yeah I've been with the guys to watch a few games there. And they do have a few more big screens. Duggans is really charming though and wings will be half priced. We are just a small group. 

Anyways this should be a good one. 

IMG_3933.JPG

No argument from me. I absolutely LOVE Duggans. Great menu, and their house beer is a charitable thing where a portion of every pint bought gets donated.

Don't think I'll personally get out tonight, but I'll try to get out to the next one.

3 hours ago, jedinathan said:

No argument from me. I absolutely LOVE Duggans. Great menu, and their house beer is a charitable thing where a portion of every pint bought gets donated.

Don't think I'll personally get out tonight, but I'll try to get out to the next one.

Was very lucky to get together there with @Sport Shaman in June. Great little place. A return visit is in the cards some day. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, shermanator said:

Don't know where to put this, but FC Edmonton have signed Colin Miller to a multi-year extension. His contract was set to expire at the end of the 2017 season. The article does not say how many years the extension is.

Sandor had the number of years in his article. I want to say 3? (On mobile otherwise I'd link) either way, Faths still appear to be ready to stick things out in Edmonton (league issues aside... think this shows a lot of faith in Ball to start bringing people out to the pitch). 

Edmonton has always been a low scoring team. I don't know how much of that you can put down to Miller's tactics or whether that is because they are probably a low budget team. Must be a bit of both, but perhaps more of the former. For a team that is trying to attract fans and sell more tickets, I thought they should focus on more attractive football. Some of the FC Edmonton games this year were difficult to watch.

From Sandor's article, this line really caught my eye...

He said that there will be player signings announced in December, and the announcement of a player in January that he thinks will greatly excite the team’s fan base.

Any chance this signing could be another returning national team players? (assuming they have a league to play in of course)

1 hour ago, OnkelDal said:

Some seem upset by Miller resigning.

The guy took put us at the top of the standings which gave us a playoff birth.

Only complaint is that we are too defensive. Need to find some consistent goal scorers.

Definitely read this as "resigning" instead of "re-signing" and wondered what else could possibly topple the NASL carriage.

with all the cosmo players as free agents. Does Colin Miller try to sign any of them? I m sure there will be some interesting free agents. I m kinda hoping fced will be in the USL. They should receive windfall of money of team paying the NASL exit fee as well. 

Archived