FC Edmonton 2016 Season

canadianfoot

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

De Guzman is retiring. He said that 2 months ago. 

Edward chose to go to Ottawa to be close to his family. I doubt that he's going to Edmonton. If the team goes back to USL, I don't think that it would be that bad for him.

I'd be surprised if Porter comes back to Edmonton. Miller didn't really like that he left Edmonton to try his luck in MLS. Now could he come back with open arms? That's a good question.  

I could see Haworth or Tissot going to Edmonton. Then again, I doubt that players are going to say that they're too good for D3, because there is only have 1 club in D2, and most of them wouldn't make an MLS team. I think that most of the Canadian contingent will stay in Ottawa. If Ottawa is in USL, that means that there'll be jobs for Canadian players if the CSA keeps their quota. They would need to sign a lot of Canadians.

It will be interesting to see which Canadian talent stays in Ottawa and if any move to Edmonton to stay at the same level.

If I remember correctly, FC Edmonton had offered Tissot a contract prior to his signing in Ottawa, prior to their signing of Ben Fisk. Not sure if that offer would still be on the table given that Fisk has looked pretty good during his time in Edmonton on the left wing, and that they have Eckersley at LB with Zebie to back him up.

Prior to all these rumours, I would have thought Mallan Roberts would have transferred to Edmonton, given that he's third on the depth chart in Edmonton, but a regular starter in Ottawa. I guess what happens with him will depend on whether Albert Watson re-signs in Edmonton.

What Jamar Dixon will do will be interesting, since it was mentioned that the reason he signed with the Fury was to be playing at a level high enough to get called to the national team, after FF Jaro was relegated. With the Fury moving to USL, I don't know if they are at that level anymore. I think there's a fit on the right wing in Edmonton for Dixon, and he would provide good depth at RB if Nicklaw were to go down.

I could see Haworth staying with the Fury when moving to USL, likewise with Eustaquio and de Bellis. Don't really know what Edward or Porter will do.

6 hours ago, shermanator said:

It will be interesting to see which Canadian talent stays in Ottawa and if any move to Edmonton to stay at the same level.

If I remember correctly, FC Edmonton had offered Tissot a contract prior to his signing in Ottawa, prior to their signing of Ben Fisk. Not sure if that offer would still be on the table given that Fisk has looked pretty good during his time in Edmonton on the left wing, and that they have Eckersley at LB with Zebie to back him up.

Prior to all these rumours, I would have thought Mallan Roberts would have transferred to Edmonton, given that he's third on the depth chart in Edmonton, but a regular starter in Ottawa. I guess what happens with him will depend on whether Albert Watson re-signs in Edmonton.

What Jamar Dixon will do will be interesting, since it was mentioned that the reason he signed with the Fury was to be playing at a level high enough to get called to the national team, after FF Jaro was relegated. With the Fury moving to USL, I don't know if they are at that level anymore. I think there's a fit on the right wing in Edmonton for Dixon, and he would provide good depth at RB if Nicklaw were to go down.

I could see Haworth staying with the Fury when moving to USL, likewise with Eustaquio and de Bellis. Don't really know what Edward or Porter will do.

Guess I agree with this. Playing game in and game out in a Canadian city is probably more important than staying in Div.2 NA. Have to assume the Fury would be favorite to win in the USL. FCED would probably just find another loan for M.Roberts if ottawa can't buy him.

22 minutes ago, yothat said:

Guess I agree with this. Playing game in and game out in a Canadian city is probably more important than staying in Div.2 NA. Have to assume the Fury would be favorite to win in the USL. FCED would probably just find another loan for M.Roberts if ottawa can't buy him.

Edwards could stay in Ottawa since he's from the area but one thing to take into consideration is that Ottawa will be looking to sign players for next years roster at USL's salary rates which are about 40% less than NASL''s. I see them taking advantage of that so players offered to stay by and large will be returning for less money and players will likely take a higher salary in NASL over a lesser one in USL by and large. Ottawa's looking to save $ and other than travel costs this is the second best way for them do so.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:00 AM, shermanator said:

Hopefully Ottawa allows Edmonton first dibs at picking apart their roster. Cause you know, Canadian bonds.

John Pugh is quoted saying something similar in the Ottawa Sun:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/10/25/ottawa-fury-fc-confirms-it-will-move-to-new-league

“Yes, there are (cost-savings),” said Pugh. “A lot of the material costs will stay the same. Our roster will be roughly the same in terms of costs. It is a coast-to-coast league, but will we save something on travel? Yes. Rochester, Toronto and Montreal, we won’t be flying, we’ll be going on the bus.”

14 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

John Pugh is quoted saying something similar in the Ottawa Sun:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/10/25/ottawa-fury-fc-confirms-it-will-move-to-new-league

“Yes, there are (cost-savings),” said Pugh. “A lot of the material costs will stay the same. Our roster will be roughly the same in terms of costs. It is a coast-to-coast league, but will we save something on travel? Yes. Rochester, Toronto and Montreal, we won’t be flying, we’ll be going on the bus.”

Take this with a grain of salt, of course they will say this even if they cost cut their roster, they won't tell the fans "hey were gonna sign players for the lower USL rate to save money".

Just like they cut costs on the Fury academy team by axing it they will cut in the other areas they can like the roster budget.

Fury cut their academy? 

11 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Take this with a grain of salt, of course they will say this even if they cost cut their roster, they won't tell the fans "hey were gonna sign players for the lower USL rate to save money".

Just like they cut costs on the Fury academy team by axing it they will cut in the other areas they can like the roster budget.

Fielding a heavily rotated squad, FC Edmonton lose 1-0 in Miami to finish the fall season at 10-6-6. Up next, at Indy on Saturday in the playoffs.

Will be interesting to see who stays and who goes after this season. I could see Gustavo, Galvao, and possibly both of the Smiths getting released. Other than that, have to think it will be a pretty similar squad.

6 hours ago, shermanator said:

Fielding a heavily rotated squad, FC Edmonton lose 1-0 in Miami to finish the fall season at 10-6-6. Up next, at Indy on Saturday in the playoffs.

Will be interesting to see who stays and who goes after this season. I could see Gustavo, Galvao, and possibly both of the Smiths getting released. Other than that, have to think it will be a pretty similar squad.

I could see FCEd keeping Karsten Smith... just for depth. Other than that... yep. Raudales is another on the bubble if I'm Miller, though he seems to like him. 

I think Johann Smith is leaving. Going to play somewhere warmer. I see K.Smith, Gustavo, Galvao, Zebie(heard he wants to try going to France) leaving. Ritchie Jones already left . Possibly 6 openings next year. 4 international spots spots available. The Miami game was definitely the most amount of Canadians in the starting 11 since 2011. How did Aleskic fair?!

1 hour ago, jedinathan said:

Just thought of this too... was FCEd lineup on Friday the most Canadians we've seen start an NASL game since the 2011 eddies? Couldn't say with Ottawa playing a lot this year, but I feel like it's close. 

The Fury started 6 Canadians in a few games in August.

Archived