FC Edmonton 2016 Season

canadianfoot

On August 30, 2016 at 11:20 AM, shermanator said:

Steven Sandor with a column on the complete lack of fan support in Edmonton.

http://the11.ca/what-the-hell-edmonton-what-do-the-eddies-have-to-do-to-win-you-over/

What FC E needs is more media attention/ coverage. They don't get much as far as I'm concerned.  All you ever hear about is Oilers, Eskimos, Ice District / Rogers Arena and McDavid. I remember the old Team 1260 morning hosts talking only hockey and knowing Jack about soccer the most popular sport in the world. You'd think that would kinda be a prerequisite to working in the sports broadcasting industry is having some common sports knowledge.  

Anyways, I'm guilty myself. Being an Impact fan now living in Edmonton I haven't gone to a single game because it's just not my team, the play is a lower/ frustrating calibre to watch. Maybe if the Fath group could build a nice mini stadium like taking over Telus field and making it Soccer specific rather than an aluminum bleachers mini version of a circa 2008 Stade Saputo would peak more interest. Commonwealth area is just dead. 

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to disagree with using Telus field as a soccer specific stadium. The location just isn't as easily accessible as Clarke. No public transit easily, and no pubs or anything close by. 

Other than that... Nailed it. Even the Esks have a problem with media coverage in this town, but they do get much much more than FCEd. 

5 hours ago, yothat said:

I have heard the relationship with the Esk is poor. Mainly bc the Esk have made life difficult for the team, getting pratice time, sharing clarke and media coverage. I m interested in Telus field being a soccer specific. Its still DT. 

Weren't the Faths supposed to be close with people high up in the Eskimos? My impression was that they were friendly 

16 hours ago, yothat said:

I have heard the relationship with the Esk is poor. Mainly bc the Esk have made life difficult for the team, getting pratice time, sharing clarke and media coverage. I m interested in Telus field being a soccer specific. Its still DT. 

Its actually the complete opposite. Jeff Paulus likes to talk about them as a negative, but overall both organizations are very positive and supportive of each other. Really the Esks have zero impact on anything that you've just posted. Media coverage they obviously can't control, and are after as much as they can for themselves (think I saw a tweet that had 8 pages of World cup of hockey and Oiler news before the Esks were mentioned, despite the Esks playing at home this weekend). As for practice time and sharing Clarke, that all comes down from the city. FCEd and the Eskimos are quite good with each other... a perfect example is the Titan big screen being used last year during the Esks playoff run.

Telus isn't feasible for a soccer specific stadium. The angles don't allow for a proper sized pitch to fit on the playing surface, so the majority of it would have to be torn down and rebuilt. At that point, I would suggest going somewhere like NAIT and partnering with them to build more of a specific smaller stadium, rather than fixing yet another city location.

Majority rules here... FCEd through to the post season after beating Tampa Bay. Issue now is who they will play and where. Still a small chance to have a home game in Edmonton. Need New York to at least lose and draw out of their three remaining games, while FCEd wins at least 3 of the remining four. 

Hey, they lit up the bridge, it's not much, but it's not nothing either.

In terms of media coverage, it hasn't been terrible.  Not Esks or Oil coverage, but better than the rock used to get, I think.

And playing in the snow has just been a cherry on top in terms of defeating the "soccer players are pussies" narrative

and the jays won.  

Good day.

On 31/01/2016 at 5:51 PM, shermanator said:

Hate to get this thread off to a bad start, but unless Gustavo can replace Laing's quality on the left wing, the Eddies are not going to be anywhere close to a playoff club in 2016. They won 1 of 10 games without him, and I don't see a competent replacement as of today. So, be prepared for more of that.

This I think the Ledgerwood signing was fantastic, and Eckersley could be a shrewd move in providing the club with fullback depth (even though I think Zebie was perfectly capable as a starting LB and it sucks that he's being bumped after a solid campaign), but the Keegan and Gustavo signings are just a shot in the dark. I'm pretty sure Gustavo was signed based on a YouTube video of his highlights. Ingham shouldn't have any bearing on the club barring injury.

Just quoting myself to point out how incorrect this was B)

9 hours ago, shermanator said:

Just quoting myself to point out how incorrect this was B)

You nailed the Gustavo signing though!

who would have thought that FCEd would have been able to hold so strong in the back. Sure they've always been defensively strong, but never to this degree. After 2015 saying MVO would have a banner year was incredibly difficult.

And Shome... kid has been fantastic. Has a great future if he keeps progressing and improving. 

1 hour ago, jedinathan said:

You nailed the Gustavo signing though!

who would have thought that FCEd would have been able to hold so strong in the back. Sure they've always been defensively strong, but never to this degree. After 2015 saying MVO would have a banner year was incredibly difficult.

And Shome... kid has been fantastic. Has a great future if he keeps progressing and improving. 

Strangely enough, I think I was right on a lot of what I discussed in the post. Ledgerwood has been a great signing, likewise with Eckersley. Keegan was a flyer who chipped in a few goals for a stretch, but now is mostly a super sub minus any goal scoring ability. Gustavo was a complete waste of a signing.

Offensively the club is among the worst in the league, but their defense and goalkeeping has allowed them to get results.

Shome has been great. Definitely the highlight of the season for me. Fisk has been a pleasant surprise as well. Diakite has been solid at the back. 

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Strangely enough, I think I was right on a lot of what I discussed in the post. Ledgerwood has been a great signing, likewise with Eckersley. Keegan was a flyer who chipped in a few goals for a stretch, but now is mostly a super sub minus any goal scoring ability. Gustavo was a complete waste of a signing.

Offensively the club is among the worst in the league, but their defense and goalkeeping has allowed them to get results.

Shome has been great. Definitely the highlight of the season for me. Fisk has been a pleasant surprise as well. Diakite has been solid at the back. 

Yep. You didn't have the benefit of knowing Diakite or Nicklaw within the team setting either. 

Man can you imagine if Edward had been able to stay in Edmonton? Would have been a seriously solid lineup. Still rate him as one of the leagues best right backs. 

Glad that the club has locked in a lot of Canadian talent already too. Fisk and Ledge are signed for another year and I would be shocked if Shome moved elsewhere. All earned and deserve their starting positions. 

6 hours ago, jedinathan said:

Two game winning goals in two weeks as well as being a just all around solid player earns Ben Fisk NASL player of the week. 

I haven't seen any FC Edmonton games. Does anybody think he could play in MLS now? Or in the near future? What about CMNT now or the near future? I really liked his game back when he was playing U20. Can't recall off the top of my head if he played pan ams or Olympic qualifying. If he did, it didn't change my perception of him.

18 minutes ago, Kent said:

I haven't seen any FC Edmonton games. Does anybody think he could play in MLS now? Or in the near future? What about CMNT now or the near future? I really liked his game back when he was playing U20. Can't recall off the top of my head if he played pan ams or Olympic qualifying. If he did, it didn't change my perception of him.

He can play in MLS.

Good speed, good 1v1 skills, and an eye for goal.

Better than someone like Techera.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived