VWFC2 2016 Discussion

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, C2SKI said:

Disappointing end to the season, but that was a good second year for Whitecaps 2.

Do we feel anyone else has earned a chance with the first team?

Pasher  :)

On our side Levi who should get some time and of course Davies. Others have looked okay or even good at the USL level but not so good when they were used in MLS or V's Cup games. They will get another chance next year but they need to step it up and show they can play at the MLS level.

As a B team WC II should really be judged on their contribution to the first team. Last year their season was poor but their contribution was better, so I would say, last year, better than this. 

What is the point of them doing well and Robbo not caring in particular if any of that could help the team, even coming off the bench. He did not trust in anyone off the second team except Davies, with zero consequences for our results.

Yea the "contributions" in DC and V's Cup were less than spectacular. Davies has done what you want to see second team players do. Take the chance when they get it and just kill it. Like I said earlier I don't think we'll see him on the field for the Caps2 team any more. Way too valuable.

They moved one great prospect up to the senior team (Davies) and got one decent depth guy a lot of development (Seiler). That's pretty good for a second team in one year, not even counting guys like Kadin Chung who are top prospects but a year or two away. How many players do you expect to come through from the reserves every year? This year was a success by pretty much every metric, as far as I'm concerned. They even made a successful foray into Langley which may portend a future permanent move.

• 1 month later...

Surprised to see Koch leave for what looks to be a lesser role with Cincinatti. Perhaps he's being groomed for something bigger in the future. Speaks to ambition on his part, probably, but what does that mean for the Caps?  I see Marcina is still available. I bet that would be a great fit for both sides.

http://www.fccincinnati.com/news_article/show/734207?referrer_id=2687964

• 1 month later...
On 15/12/2016 at 1:39 PM, nolando said:

Surprised to see Koch leave for what looks to be a lesser role with Cincinatti. Perhaps he's being groomed for something bigger in the future. Speaks to ambition on his part, probably, but what does that mean for the Caps?  I see Marcina is still available. I bet that would be a great fit for both sides.

http://www.fccincinnati.com/news_article/show/734207?referrer_id=2687964

Seems like a really strange move, and bad gamble if Cincinnati fails in its bid for an MLS team.

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Anyone thinking that Calgary will support a Whitecaps reserve team any more than Vancouver did doesn't know Calgary very well....

Calgary Foothills PDL average attendance 2016: 598

FC Edmonton 2016 attendence: 2060

Whitecaps 2 average attendance 2016: 1799

Whitecaps 2 Langley attendance: 2016: 2200

Vancouver supported the Whitecaps 2 at about the same level as Edmonton supports the NASL, and better when they actually moved it to a more accessible venue. I don't see why Calgary wouldn't support a Vancouver affiliate team somewhere in the Edmonton to Ottawa NASL range.  That's just going off the numbers though, not knowing Calgary very well, period, period, period, period.

6 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Vancouver supported the Whitecaps 2 at about the same level as Edmonton supports the NASL, and better when they actually moved it to a more accessible venue. I don't see why Calgary wouldn't support a Vancouver affiliate team somewhere in the Edmonton to Ottawa NASL range.  That's just going off the numbers though, not knowing Calgary very well, period, period, period, period.

Usl isn't a draw and caps2 were a fluke. Tfc drew around 1k a game, fc Montreal drew dick and there's been backlash against offc's move to the usl and becoming an affiliate (we'll know if it hurts them soon). This move will likely see caps2 see a big decline in attendance and a cpl team could make it a non factor.

You can't simply apply attendance figures in other cities and project that onto a completely different city. "Well Vancouver drew this many people, so Calgary should draw this many" is completely baseless speculation that you're pulling out of nowhere to support your argument.

Calgary is a city that wants major league sports, not minor league teams, or reserve teams of major league teams. Quite frankly, in my experience it's a terrible sports town when you get outside of the bubble that is anything owned by CSEC.

If you want to look at the last pro venture in Calgary as a baseline, that's arguably the best starting point, but there's also a 13 year gap in between then and now. If we use those numbers, then the Storm/Mustangs drew yearly averages of 2003 (2001), 1458 (2002), 1070 (2003) and 1258 (2004). 3 of the 4 years drew less than what WFC2 drew in both Vancouver and all 4 years they drew less than WFC2 drew in Langley.

I think an independent club with an affiliate to the Whitecaps could have a better chance of working than a reserve team, depending on how the club connects with local youth clubs, how the club is marketed to casuals, how the city recovers from the worst recession in a generation, and what the stadium situation is like. But just throwing WFC2 into a random stadium around town (and the stadium in and of itself is a big question mark when it comes to USL) won't. Personally, I wouldn't support WFC2 in Calgary and I can only think of one of the Foot Soldiers supporters that would activity support them.

8 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

As somebody who is regularly at the WFC2 games at UBC, there is no way that number is accurate. My guess for average attendance at UBC would be under 1,000. Also, all MLS season ticket holders get at least 3 tickets to WFC2 matches free. So that attendance number is not paid either.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2017 at 8:11 PM, masster said:

The rumors around Vancouver are that this will be the last year for WFC2, and the Whitecaps will scrap their reserves just like Montreal did. Therefore I wouldn't expect too much investment in a lame duck coaching staff and roster filler players.

WFC2 appoints and internal replacement for Alan Koch. Given my previous post, you can tell I'm not surprised.
http://www.whitecapsfc.com/wfc2/post/2017/02/19/whitecaps-fc-name-rich-fagan-wfc2-head-coach

On 2/8/2017 at 0:31 PM, Dub Narcotic said:

Vancouver Whitecaps 2 reserve/farm team attendance was very inflated and after the first 3 games last year there were under 1K showing up most of the rest of the season as another poster has mentioned.

Archived