VWFC2 2016 Discussion

What I want is for continual success here meaning players are moved up into the first team, in the spots we need cover. A logical relationship between the 1st and 2nd team, with the latter playing their butts off and deserving call-ups. 

Last year we were so crappy I would have left everyone down until further notice, to get them to focus and play like a team, maybe Parker the exception.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Parker was clearly better than any of the others at his CB or RB positions last year. Keep in mind last year was the first year in the league so the whole organization had a lot of learning to do on a lot of fronts. Nice to see them learn and get off to a great start this year.

Outside of Whitecaps supporters, I don't think many here care about the trials and tribulations of a La Masia reject who is no longer with WFC 2. The club seems to be doing pretty well without him anyways, even though in my mind results should be secondary for a reserve team.

UT

Man get your ego in check!  You post what u will and if someone says something, its lighten up the boards are supposed to be fun.  I joke about a screw up who was kicked off the team, (and the team isn't missing him at all) and you are offended.  Obviously I dont know the kid and he wasn't kicked off because he was a phony spain fan boy.  Phony fan boys are all over the place spewing everywhere.  I'm sure you and PEP will talk about it this summer.  

13 hours ago, Bison44 said:

UT

Man get your ego in check!  You post what u will and if someone says something, its lighten up the boards are supposed to be fun.  I joke about a screw up who was kicked off the team, (and the team isn't missing him at all) and you are offended.  Obviously I dont know the kid and he wasn't kicked off because he was a phony spain fan boy.  Phony fan boys are all over the place spewing everywhere.  I'm sure you and PEP will talk about it this summer.  

Pep and I have more important things to discuss than Blasco, I know this is hard to imagine but it's true. But I won't wish him well at Man City.

Whitecaps would be lucky to have an academy anywhere nearly as good as many European clubs, Barça included, who produce literally dozens of talented players for the leagues of the world. And coaches too. The day they overthrow the rigid MLS business model doing a good job on this might actually be properly rewarded, and teams will take it even more seriously. 

• 2 weeks later...

4-3 win at home against LAG2 in a top-of-the-table clash. VWFC scored three goals in the first twenty or so minutes. USL teams can just not handle the wing options Vancouver has: Chung and Haber on the right; Davies and Levis on the left. Greig finishes everything in the box and Vancouver is undefeated on the season. LA scored two goals late to make it respectable.

Davies scored his first today, making him the youngest ever scorer in USL.

That was nice to begin with but sloppy finish to let them back in like that. Still nice to see that type of offensive output. We are the only team without a loss left in the league. 7 games and 5 wins, 2 draws is a nice start. We'll see how long they can make it go.

8 hours ago, shamrock said:

That first half was awesome, loving the high pressure tactics. It didn't surprise me that they couldn't continue that kind of play in the second, cause that is exhausting!

That is where the Barcelona model comes into play. You press for 30 minutes a game to get the ball but once you have possession you take your time with passes to catch your breath and then you try take a high quality chance. That way you are not wearing yourself out. 30 minutes of sprints and pressure plus 60 minutes of possession is a nice ratio if your players have the passing ability to pull it off. 

On 16/5/2016 at 5:53 PM, TRM said:

That is where the Barcelona model comes into play. You press for 30 minutes a game to get the ball but once you have possession you take your time with passes to catch your breath and then you try take a high quality chance. That way you are not wearing yourself out. 30 minutes of sprints and pressure plus 60 minutes of possession is a nice ratio if your players have the passing ability to pull it off. 

Only thing is that it is no longer the Barça model, because we are realizing it was really the Xavi model.

Still, it is a good principle, as long as you don't forget to take a poorer quality chance if the good ones don't come your way. You need to mix up attacking options as possession football means the rival will be set in defensive position and you will have to start from scratch every time to get past the one-on-one marks. That is tedious. 

It is also proven that you have to play in function of the players you have. WC have a lot of good attacking mids, and this year Greig who is very efficient, basically Dub Narcotic's post above. Also a year's more maturity, a lot of the same core group, experience in the league. And then the motivation to see teammates getting into the 1st team mix, as more might with Copa America and if injuries happen, int'l call-ups.

I went to see WCII three years ago at T-Bird, PDL. Does anyone agree they could really use a stand behind a goal, or two, and maybe move those goofy kids games out from under the main stand? 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Only thing is that it is no longer the Barça model, because we are realizing it was really the Xavi model.

True. I miss watching him play. He was truly the best passer the game has seen on the perfect team to exploit his metronome like qualities.

I watched this game hoping to see some great young Canadian attacking players and realised that the quality on the goal scoring end comes from Fatawu (Ghana) and Greig (USA). For this game Daniel Haber seemed to have the least quality of the three forwards. Does Bustos still get playing time with WVF2?

Whitecaps FC 2 seem to have a damn good team this year, with some damn good Canadian prospects as well. I've been very pleasantly surprised by both the quality and quantity of minutes given to Canadian youth players (which is more important to someone like me), and the results on the pitch (which I know others prioritize)

Whitecaps FC 2 seem to have a damn good team this year, with some damn good Canadian prospects as well. I've been very pleasantly surprised by both the quality and quantity of minutes given to Canadian youth players (which is more important to someone like me), and the results on the pitch (which I know others prioritize)

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

I watched this game hoping to see some great young Canadian attacking players and realised that the quality on the goal scoring end comes from Fatawu (Ghana) and Greig (USA). For this game Daniel Haber seemed to have the least quality of the three forwards. Does Bustos still get playing time with WVF2?

How disappointing for you. Yeah Bustos still gets the occasional run out with them. Alphonso Davies normally starts in place of Fatawu, but he suffered a concussion in training this week.

I personally really enjoy watching this team. They've played with great commitment and strength as a squad, and there have been some very impressive performances by young Canadians.

30 minutes ago, shermanator said:

They have addressed a lot of their first year issues which is good to see. Zero requests for exemptions this year would make me very happy. I am somewhat shocked at the start they have made to the season. Did not expect us to be top of the table in the west and 20/24 points taken is freakishly epic. I hope they can keep it up for the full season.

While it is a development program results always matter in a pro setting. It attracts more young quality players to your program. It sells more tickets which while minor from a dollar perspective makes the players feel more like real pros to be playing in front of 1000+ fans.

11 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Davies was missing, and he is worth the price of admission all by himself.  Safiu was in Davies regular spot.  Levis and Chung maybe didn't have the offensive games they usually do, but they both rampage up and down the flanks, and Chung pulled a world class spin move and cross for an assist a few weeks ago.  Greig got the goal but it was 100% CHUNG making it happen. Safiu and Greig (26) are a bit older and more seasoned, and it shows. But Greig is no prospect (man among boys).

Maybe the best CDN prospects for VAN2 at this point are in the mid and fullbacks etc, but there is no shortage of attacking talent up and down the roster.  

Well we keep our unbeaten run going but just barely. Still the only team with zero losses. 6 W & 3 D.

Levis scored our lone goal in a 1-1 draw with St Louis. They really had us pinned back for the second half but couldn't get their second goal. We were totally gassed by the 80th minute and it showed. First half was very good for us.

Another draw and it is now 10 games into the season and still no losses. The only undefeated team in the league. I am getting curious as to how long they can keep this unbeaten streak going.

A 2-2 draw which is a pity because we were up 2-0 in the first half. Real Monarchs came back to tie it up.

This team is really something special.  The mix of veterans and youngsters is pretty good.  I like how some of the guys like Levis are really progressing.

All in all, not too much to complain about except...

...how long is this Deybi Flores experiment going to last?

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

...how long is this Deybi Flores experiment going to last?

As long as it takes.  The Caps bought Deybi Flores contract from his club team in Honduras, so he's gonna be given a lot of time to develop under Robbo and the Caps. They see something that maybe others don't, so he'll be given ample opportunities. 

Archived