VWFC2 2016 Discussion

36 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

As long as it takes.  The Caps bought Deybi Flores contract from his club team in Honduras, so he's gonna be given a lot of time to develop under Robbo and the Caps. They see something that maybe others don't, so he'll be given ample opportunities. 

Great!  Good to hear!

Makes sense to invest a lot in a player that is, at best, fourth on the depth chart at his position (behind Laba, Jacobsen and Tiebert) and hasn't shown anything more (and in fact significantly less) than another player his age (Froese, who is all of two months older than him and can play the same position).  Let's polish that diamond and will him to be a good player!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

There was an interesting post on the Whitecaps board pointing out that many of the Whitecaps foreign signings share the same agent, including Flores. Shades of Mo Johnston?

Do you know his name?

I have no idea about the details, just speculating... only that quite often you can have an agent appearing who is really working as an intermediary, like if you are talking about Latin American players.

Because I seriously doubt you would have a main agent and rep in Uruguay also with players in Central America, it would not be a natural combination at all.  Each has their own, their own reps and the FIFA agent they normally work with...then Whitecaps have someone they use to channel those possible signings through, maybe with Vancouver connections or less, just doing a good job working the MLS for Latin Am players. 

6 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Great!  Good to hear!

Makes sense to invest a lot in a player that is, at best, fourth on the depth chart at his position (behind Laba, Jacobsen and Tiebert) and hasn't shown anything more (and in fact significantly less) than another player his age (Froese, who is all of two months older than him and can play the same position).  Let's polish that diamond and will him to be a good player!

For better or worse Robbo doesn't give up on players. He has stuck with players long after many were calling for trades. Sometimes it works out like Hurtado seems to be and some times it doesn't like Mattocks. It has worked to our advantage because he does seem to be able to get most players up to snuff.

Initially I thought so as well but Flores is more competition for Kianz than for Russ. Both Flores and Frose are box to box types and Russ is more of a deep sitting transition DM. Pedro, Nico are better comparisons for F & F.

Teibert seems to have solidified the "DM not named Laba" role since coming back from injury/surgery. Jacobsen is a quality vet but seems to be more of a versatile utility player in that he plays CB, DM, B2B and other mid positions.

Flores is like Smith in that respect. Up until the last game I was thinking Smith was a waste but then he had his best game so far and showed why Robbo kept him around. Aird is still #1 at RB and Parker doesn't give us anything going forward from RB so Smith gets the call sometimes. 

Keep in mind we had 4 or 5 forwards at one point and play with a lone forward the vast majority of the time. Robbo likes to have a lot of depth players on hand at all positions. With 4 CCL games and 4 V's Cup games they will be needed.

Well all good things must come to an end and we lose 0-1 to RSL2. Right at the 94th minute. Literally the last play of the game. Sam took his second yellow on a foul outside the box and on the ensuing FK a runner at the back post put it in. Pity because the Caps2 had dominated long stretches and had way more chances.

28 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

UGHHHH, 3-2 S2 over VAN 2, couple of penalties, but S2 last to goals were beauts.  Koch ejected.., Frano brings them back to 1 down, 20min left.

Sucks to lose to Seattle at any level. Especially the third one. What a shot.

Crazy game just ended.  Bustos with 2 goals and then Davies with a left footed cannon, 3-0 whitecaps.  I stop watching 5min left, turn it back on, its 3-2 in injury time and Carducci has to save a free kick with no time left on the clock to save the win.  WOW!!!  Great game!  

OOPS, almost forgot, Gonzolaz scored a beauty as well!  

It is always nice seeing Canadians score. Mark Gonzalez has taken an interesting trip in his soccer career so far. Played for both Sigma FC and TFC Academy during breaks from college. Hell of a shot.

Was at the match with my boys. First live one of the season for me. Smaller crowd than I expected (but still huge for this league/level) and remember from last year but a fair bit of competition for attention on Father's Day and car free day. Thought Froese and Haber were both very lively. Less impressed with Farmer and Bustos who both missed absolute sitters. Farmer was poor throughout the match even in his own half. Must be hard for him to see the club continuing to draft big American CBs who immediately leapfrog him in pecking order but I haven't seen any sign of real progress from him over the past couple of years, which is unfortunate since many were already penciling him in as future MNT material not that long ago. This side manages to continue to find ways to win and seem very well-coached overall. Great result.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

Whitecaps FC 2 only started 5 Canadians last night. Was any reason given as to why they didn't start the 6 required for CSA sanctioning? 

You don't need to play 6 every game, you need to start by the end of the year at least 6 Canadians. 

6 hours ago, Blackdude said:

You don't need to play 6 every game, you need to start by the end of the year at least 6 Canadians. 

So these articles indicating that you need to start 6 Canadians are wrong then? (albeit one quotes the other)

To ensure that the cubs aren't just filling out their roster with Canadians for the sake of meeting the quota, the CSA is also requiring that six of the starting 11 players for each game be Canadian.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/csa-requires-strict-canadian-quotas-for-usl-pro-sanctioning-r4815

https://www.maple-leaf-forever.com/2014/09/06/hooray-for-the-csa-and-the-usl-pro-domestic-quota/

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

That's the best I could find. I'm sure I saw someone tweeting about it that the quota is only for the season. I can't remember whether it's @Duane Rollins1555362254 or @stevensandor or even someone else who writes for the Whitecaps (because if someone would know such a thing, he'd have to hear it from the Whitecaps.)

10 hours ago, shermanator said:

Whitecaps FC 2 only started 5 Canadians last night. Was any reason given as to why they didn't start the 6 required for CSA sanctioning?

I'm not sure. I was hoping they were past this. This is the first, and hopefully last, time this season that they've missed it.

If it is a yearly thing then start 7 next game and call it even? I don't know how the rules are dealt with by the CSA. I got no reply last year to my inquiries.

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

That's the best I could find. I'm sure I saw someone tweeting about it that the quota is only for the season. I can't remember whether it's @Duane Rollins1555362254 or @stevensandor or even someone else who writes for the Whitecaps (because if someone would know such a thing, he'd have to hear it from the Whitecaps.)

Fair enough! I was under the impression it was on a game by game basis.

46 minutes ago, TRM said:

I'm not sure. I was hoping they were past this. This is the first, and hopefully last, time this season that they've missed it.

If it is a yearly thing then start 7 next game and call it even? I don't know how the rules are dealt with by the CSA. I got no reply last year to my inquiries.

It's unfortunate that it's been a point of discussion. Every time Whitecaps take a step forward in this regard (ie. the generous minutes for Davies and Chung) they seem to take a step back (last night). It must not be a big deal to the CSA if they keep continuing to do this.

• 2 weeks later...

A winner for Levis in added time gives the Caps2 a 2-1 win over RSL Monarchs. This is actually getting spooky. They are 16 games into the season and averaging 2 points per game! I never would have dreamed this plot line up.

Sean Melvin(94) in net for this one. The Caps2 team is getting pretty thick in the keeper department.

3600+ in attendance.

• 2 weeks later...

From scoring the winner last game to 2 yellows for Levis and the Caps2 team were playing with 10 men for an hour. Ouch. The final result was 0-4 scoreline for Rio Grande.

Not Caps2 USL but the U18s are on their way to the final after a 4-1 win in the semis.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/post/2016/07/14/whitecaps-fc-u-18-residency-win-4-1-advance-academy-championship-final

FC Dallas or Nomads SC will be their competition on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. PT streamed on the Caps site. 34 game unbeaten streak with only 1 loss this year.

A lot of players away with the first team and U18 so Ritchie had a busy night in net. 23 shots, 9 on net and 7 saves later we lose 0-2. We only had 5 shots and 1 on target.

The U18 team had a heartbreaker. For the second time they got to the final and lost. They scored early off a corner at the 10 minute mark but an 80 minute equalizer and it went to extra time. Dallas scored in the second half of stoppage time and took the title.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived