VWFC2 2016 Discussion

From their site:

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whitecaps 2 coming off a very solid year from a development point of view with Tim Parker, Christian Dean, Kianz Froese and Marco Bustos all having good stints with the club and having it pay off for the senior team. A really solid returning group as well, although Sandhu is facing criminal charges and Blasco may very well make the senior club out of training camp. U-17 player of the year Kadin Chung will be one to watch, most likely in a substitute role, and Bustos and Froese will still likely play down a lot.

2 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Whitecaps 2 coming off a very solid year from a development point of view with Tim Parker, Christian Dean, Kianz Froese and Marco Bustos all having good stints with the club and having it pay off for the senior team. A really solid returning group as well, although Sandhu is facing criminal charges and Blasco may very well make the senior club out of training camp. U-17 player of the year Kadin Chung will be one to watch, most likely in a substitute role, and Bustos and Froese will still likely play down a lot.

So what, if anything, does it mean that Bustos is not on that list?

So, does WFC2 start the required number of Canadians for every game in 2016 as demanded by CSA sanctioning? My guess is no.

Beyond that, I'm curious to see how Carducci, Serban, Levis, Farmer, and Chung do in 2016. I seem to recall some talk here about Levis maybe getting a look with the senior club, am I imagining that?

12 hours ago, shermanator said:

So, does WFC2 start the required number of Canadians for every game in 2016 as demanded by CSA sanctioning? My guess is no.

It looks like they only have 4 internationals on the roster so they probably will be fine.  

The Whitecaps recruiting efforts are really paying off when you look at the talent they've acquired.  Setting up residency affiliations all over Ontario and Western Canada is getting them a lot of talent.  Let's see if any of these talented young players ever see the main team instead of just toiling away in the USL before we proclaim the program a raving success.

Agreed, baulderdash. It's really too early to say that any of the USL clubs are great successes, because to date the first team players playing in USL were already signed to the first team to begin with, as opposed to signed to a USL deal, developed in USL, then signed to a first team deal. So far we see the pathway from academy to USL, but not yet from academy to USL to MLS coming into play, but it's also too early to expect that. I do believe it is a step forward from where we were in 2014. 

Perhaps we see with that true pathway come into play this year with someone like Levis, or Alessandro Riggi, or Molham Babouli.

Whitecaps 2 had a very successful year in 2015 purely on Tim Parker's progress alone. His strong USL run at the start of the year set him to be the starting CB on one of the best defenses in the league at the end of it. This team was by far the best of the Canadian USL squads by every metric: first team impact (Parker, Froese, Bustos), top internal prospects progressing well (Bustos, Froese, Chung, Richey), scouting outside the organization (Parker, Blasco, Serban)  competitiveness, attractiveness of style and attendance/atmosphere at home games.

I mentioned all season that Montreal and Toronto really needed to take a look at how Vancouver was running things and this was clearly borne out by the results in every metric at the end of the year.

2 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Whitecaps 2 had a very successful year in 2015 purely on Tim Parker's progress alone. His strong USL run at the start of the year set him to be the starting CB on one of the best defenses in the league at the end of it. This team was by far the best of the Canadian USL squads by every metric: first team impact (Parker, Froese, Bustos), top internal prospects progressing well (Bustos, Froese, Chung, Richey), scouting outside the organization (Parker, Blasco, Serban)  competitiveness, attractiveness of style and attendance/atmosphere at home games.

I mentioned all season that Montreal and Toronto really needed to take a look at how Vancouver was running things and this was clearly borne out by the results in every metric at the end of the year.

Chung was signed at the end of the season and I'd argue that Roberts and Crepeau impressed far more than Richey. Blasco was a hilarious stroke of luck, not good scouting.

Hey.. only another 3 years til Victor can play for Canada lol. 

The club are primarily looking out for their best interests in developing the best players they can get to play for the club. Developing Canadians is secondary. And when I say the club, I should say ANY club in the world because they are all looking out for themselves first, always have and always will. Right or wrong that is the way it is. Not saying that is right, In an ideal world I am sure every club would want to have a team full of the best players in their nation but there is so much that comes into play with the pressures of running a club. The USL teams are going to be of huge benefit to Canadian Soccer until the CPL is finally established, if ever.

• 2 months later...

Awesome result at OCB, 1-0, and equal in shots and shots on target, showing it was no fluke. This team has every chance to be in the playoffs this year, especially if Bustos plays down. Melvin and de Wit look to be big signings given how many goals this team gave up last year. Chris Serban should be on everybody's radar given how weak his position is on the senior national team.

On 8/1/2016 at 9:04 PM, shermanator said:

As a Voyageur, I don't give a crap about Tim Parker or Victor Blasco's development. I do not care about the development about a centre back for the US national team or a Barcelona-reject winger one iota. 

If Blasco were any good, I mean for a U-23 callup, he could switch over and play for Canada. I am not sure he has the level, but don't be surprised if he tries to make a move if things go his way. Since he needs a few years as is, no point in worrying about it.

Two games, two wins. A pretty easy 3-1 victory over Timbers 2 in Portland who were playing with a very young backline. Haber gets two, Richey, de Wit, Greig and Levis all look really good. Gardner seems to have won a CM spot over McKendry which is not a good sign for McKendry.

4 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Two games, two wins. A pretty easy 3-1 victory over Timbers 2 in Portland who were playing with a very young backline. Haber gets two, Richey, de Wit, Greig and Levis all look really good. Gardner seems to have won a CM spot over McKendry which is not a good sign for McKendry.

I don't know if I would say that for sure yet. That was McKendry's first action coming back from injury. Lets see how things develop in the next couple of weeks.

5 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Alphonso Davies also started and looked good. Went up against Chris Klute who i believe is a starter for the Timbers coming back from an injury. Davies is very strong and confident on the ball and looks to attack all the time. 

I have to say, Davies and Chung look like damn good USL players at 15 and 17 years old. That's promising from a national team perspective.

If Haber keeps finishing the way he has so far (today's goal was called back due to him being offside), he may have to get a look with the senior team. Levis at LB is interesting, seems a little overmatched defensively, but fantastic going forward as one would expect.

Archived