VWFC2 2016 Discussion

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple things to note while watching tonight's match against Los Dos:

- Davies gets into lots of space but his touch tends to let him down once he gets free. Still very good for a 15 year old but I don't see anything that implies he's ready for MLS any time soon. Only mentioning this because Robinson mentioned in a preseason article that he wouldn't be surprised if Davies got minutes in MLS

- Hurtado is an absolute bum. He's a giveaway machine even at the USL level. No idea how he is still around with the Whitecaps. 

- Bustos was largely invisible. Pretty disappointing given that he was very good at the USL level last year and should be pushing for first team minuets.

'caps tie 2-2 after Safiu puts a nice ball into Greig for a composed finished. Team got a lot better once Bustos came off for Greig. This team has some fight to it, second time in a row they got in a dust up with the opposition and they did a great job of coming back from a deficit, something the senior team never does under Robinson.

Davies is having a very good game. He's destroying the SPR backline with his speed. Great passing as well The penalty resulted from him beating the SPR CB and getting taken down in the box when he kind of lost his angle to the net. The SPR commentators are really impressed by the fact that he's only 15 years old, they've brought it up multiple times already.

Levis is having a strong game as well.

From what I've seen, both McKendry and Bustos are having poor games. Lots of giveaways by both, Bustos' free kicks leave something to be desired, although his corner kicks have been well placed.

Chung pulls a DOUBLE ZZ step over in the box before crossing to Greig seconds after coming on the pitch.  1-1.  LIVE NOW!!  How old is that Ochoa?? Must be the oldest guy in USL.  I love the skull/mask etc on the Tulsa jerseys.

The ever youthful Ochoa scores even as I mock his grey hair.  2-1 Tulsa.  Froese bangs in a response, 2-2.  Fullbacks Adekube and Chung look very good, as does Bustos and McKendry.  Haber has blown a couple of real good chances.  Entertaining back and forth game.  

Amazing that the team had to come from behind in a game they absolutely dominated possession wise and territorially. This is more of a lineup that I expected to see last year, and I hope to see more of as the season progresses. All of the 'tweener' Canadian guys on first team contracts were included Adekugbe, Bustos, Froese, Carducci and McKendry. Throw in Chung and Davies and these are the guys I want to watch.

I'm not sure what has happened to Carducci's confidence. He seems to have no idea when to come for crosses.

24 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Nice comeback and game to watch. Adekugbe and Bustos need to do more. Adekugbe was off most off the time either with the first touch or the cross. Gardner, Chung, Carducci and Froese were good.

Concerned about both of them. Adekugbe needs to play with more intensity. Bustos needs to get stronger on the ball and not get knocked off so easily. It's a trait I've seen from many of the top Canadian prospects - they are easy to get pushed off the ball.

On 19/4/2016 at 1:47 AM, nolbertos said:

Just read on the aouthsiders forum that Victor Blasco was released from WFC-2 for violating the clubs personal conduct policy.  Anybody know what he did to make the Caps and Caps-2 angry?? He was touted as a great prospect.

Too bad to hear that, surprised in fact. 

It's unclear what he did. A photo of he and another player on the team smoking pot was posted by instagram by Blasco but apparently it something else or a collection of something elses. On the other hand, I believe Sandhu is back on the team after being convicted of a sexual assault charge.

He was whining about not having had a single decent coach since leaving Spain.  Spain this, Spain that, driving teamates and coaches crazy.  Telling everyone how he and PEP meet for drinks in the offseason and his cousin once saw Iniesta walking his dog.  I guess it was alot to take.

And besides, does anyone miss him?  Haber has 3 and Greig has 5 goals already.  The fullbacks are doing a good job pushing up the wings, and that Saifu that came over from Timbers looks really good.  Plus they are undefeated with lots of youngsters getting important development minutes.  Let some Segunda team give Blasco minutes if he is such a prospect.  

13164187_263985970614950_621389349607390

It's a celebration of Vancouver's local football scene! Catch WFC2 at Thunderbird Stadium, followed by a 5-minute stroll over to Ken Woods Field to take in the Vancouver United FC Men's 2016 Pacific Coast Soccer League season opener.

The latter match is free and the Umbrella Ultras will be in attendance. Join us! Everyone welcome.

13173880_263987510614796_545676381201122

Facebook event page

DSCN5911-cropped-for-general-post_zpsjaw

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

He was whining about not having had a single decent coach since leaving Spain.  Spain this, Spain that, driving teamates and coaches crazy.  Telling everyone how he and PEP meet for drinks in the offseason and his cousin once saw Iniesta walking his dog.  I guess it was alot to take.

And besides, does anyone miss him?  Haber has 3 and Greig has 5 goals already.  The fullbacks are doing a good job pushing up the wings, and that Saifu that came over from Timbers looks really good.  Plus they are undefeated with lots of youngsters getting important development minutes.  Let some Segunda team give Blasco minutes if he is such a prospect.  

So help me understand: you have to attack a player from Spain who has played for the Caps (a team you know nothing about it is clear) because of what I post? Weeks later? Whining like a bitch? I'm gonna get Russell Peters to send you a special message: "Be a man, BISON44, Be a man!"

Blasco was a key player for us last year, our main playmaker in fact. No one combined with Bustos and Levis more last year. He was one of the most talented on the ball, maybe with those two guys. And very committed to WC2, proud and committed as you can see by his accounts. Even up to 2 months ago, posing in the new shirt. And as a young player he was fairly integrated into BC culture, as he'd played for VIU in Nanaimo, and still has contacts on the island. He could even be near Canadian eligibility, not sure about that though or what he'll do in the end. 

Since we don't know what happened we should probably give him the benefit of the doubt, I mean, if we let Sandhu back after the sexual assault charge (was he really convicted, or just charged and tried?), it is not like we are working on really high standards here don't think.

PS. I doubt it was dope smoking but maybe that is just me thinking that is a dumb reason to let someone go.

Archived