Most Important Upcoming WCQ(s)

Tuscan

I don't really understand how people can expexct to qualify without beating Mexico at home or beating El Salvador away.

One of those ships has sailed.

I fully expect Honduras to kick the door in and take at least 4 points off ES. Combine that with 3 off us and at least one off Mexico (though I'd be happy to he wrong) and they have 8-10.

Which means we need at least a draw on the 25th and probably a win based on other results. 

Optimistic is one thing to call me, but its not that I think we are going to win, it's that I think we have to. 

I dont see Honduras getting a point in Azteca. If Honduras ties at least one of the El Salvador games we can still qualify, if they don't we're likely cooked.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honduras will be facing a Mexico B team. If they can get a point is another question. But Mexico B vs Honduras scares me no matter where it is. 

You're serious. Mexico B? You actually think Mexico is going to risk losing in the Azteca in front of 100 000 fans. Have you been paying attention to the Mexico national team the past year or have you been living under a rock? Even if Mexico barely wins the Mexican fans get pissed off. It seems like every game scares you in this group.

You're serious. Mexico B? You actually think Mexico is going to risk losing in the Azteca in front of 100 000 fans. Have you been paying attention to the Mexico national team the past year or have you been living under a rock? Even if Mexico barely wins the Mexican fans get pissed off.

I've been thinking about this final Mexico host Honduras game and it's a mixed blesssing:

1) Honuras has beaten Mexico at Azteca ( I actually went to that game). They might have the confidence to do it again with all on the line

2) Mexico very rarely loses at Azteca. If the game is there, there will be plenty of pressure to win this time against Honduras even if the game "means nothing" (Mexico are through).

3) Osorio (not the one who plays for Canada, rather the Juan who coaches Mexico) will not play his best 11 if Mexico are through; he likes to give other players a fair chance. It won't be Mexico B but it might be Mexico -A

4)I think I remember hearing a rumour in the Honduran media that Mexico might host this one elsewhere so if Honduras do win, they can't claim to have managed a second "Aztecazo" (win vs Mexico at Azteca).

http://es.futbol.wikia.com/wiki/Aztecazo

If so, I think they would host at the newly renovated http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_Cuauhtémoc (close to Mexico City) or the newly completed one in Monterrey http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_BBVA_Bancomer

You're serious. Mexico B? You actually think Mexico is going to risk losing in the Azteca in front of 100 000 fans. Have you been paying attention to the Mexico national team the past year or have you been living under a rock? Even if Mexico barely wins the Mexican fans get pissed off. It seems like every game scares you in this group.

Sure. I'm a Canadian soccer fan and it comes with the territory. If they're not scaring you I want to live with you under your rock.

In all seriousness, I understand your point and I probably reiterate mine too much -even in forum terms. I think Ben fleshed out my take on the situation above very well. 

It's the unpredictability of which Honduras side and which Mexico side will show up. Though the climate at the time will dictate if it will even be a factor. 

Do not yell Puto. All for being as intimidating as possible but this crosses the line IMO

PUTO, they say that in South America, Mexico too. But to each other, so how can you tell us it is not okay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNbuvBTgD4Q 

In Spain they shout "Cabrón", it is so common it is hardly considered an insult. It's like calling someone a jerk-off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OX40mXMIlo

Though this sounds a bit harsh, must admit, it really isn't.

In any case, you can't cross a line in Spanish cause there really is not one, and Spanish is way more tolerant with swearing than English.

Two things

1) why is honduras beating us at home a given? I think it will be easier to get a draw in Honduras than it will to beat Mexico at home

2) If Mexico's manager plays a backup squad against Honduras at home after what happened the last time they played he will be unemployed the next morning

On 5/12/2015 7:16:01, Califax said:

it's a homophobic slur in some spanish speaking countries.

i'm more than fine with douchebag.

Honestly, the stuff people come up with. Almost any insult in Spanish could be said by kids, or between friends, there is hardly anything insulting or offensive in and of itself. Depends how you construct it. Years in Spain I have really never heard opposing fans do a good insult that really bothers rival fans or players. Which is why, try as you may, you can't really insult a keeper with any particular expression, they are totally used to pretty well everything. 

If you could do a Spanish version of that "__________ is a fucking pedophile" punchline to Walking in a Winter Wonderland, which was a fav at the old Southside, you'd be close. Though I think that can't be done anymore for various reasons, and yes, I guess it was pretty harsh.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The point is a chant that could irk opposing players, Spanish speaking. 

"You fat bastard" is cute, silly, and kid's stuff, I like it but it's pretty PG.

Yeah and I'm saying that discussion is moot since the Vancouver supporters groups already yell something else in that situation.

8 hours ago, Scottie said:

Yeah and I'm saying that discussion is moot since the Vancouver supporters groups already yell something else in that situation.

Not at all moot Scottie, because you want the opposing keeper and fans to understand it. It is called communicating, if you insult someone in a language they don't understand it is like doing it under your breath, it is effectively cowardly, though it could be cathartic for you. 

Like if the Mexican fans shout "Es el estado, quincuagésimo primero!", nobody would care (it would be pretty funny though, since it's a bitch of an ordinal). But if they chanted it in English it would bother us, no question. I won't translate it to prove my point.

My point is people have a higher tolerance for stuff that is off-putting and crass, rather than stuff that could be construed as sexist / racist  / homophobic. I don't wanna take the chance with splitting the hairs of what may or may not be the etymology. We don't need it in a vees section. The optics will be terrible bad and even if you're right and I'm wrong about translation and meaning, it's a lot off effort for no gain. Plain and simple.

All it look was for Syd Leroux to lie about racial slurs, not back it up, sort of retract it, and it was in major media outlets everywhere without retraction. If fact we had one or two articles at most who bothered to print the Voyageurs statement. And we didn't even have to swear to get her to lose the plot.

Also, I'm not gonna learn Spanish curse words for these dummies. I guarantee no one is gonna be chanting foul things in English when we play in central America and that's still pretty intimidating. Let's just focus on being as loud as we can the way we know how that appeals to the broadest amount of people.

On 2015-12-05, 12:59:32, Scottie said:

I don't know why you guys are arguing about yelling puto, since in Vancouver they always yell "You Fat Bastard!"

MLS and Vees are different. I don't think anything is set in stone.

Even having games in Toronto, I've long said it's silly to use all Toronto chants all the time retrofitted for the Nats.

Regarding the Honduras vs El Salvador game, the coach confirms that Honduras will not try to take advantage of the heat and play at 3pm.

Rather they will play at 6pm or 7pm local

http://www.laprensa.hn/deportes/908561-410/pinto-anuncia-que-honduras-jugar%C3%A1-por-la-noche-ante-el-salvador

I think this gives Honduras a better home advantage because they will draw a bigger crowd and it's not like players from El Salvador play in colder conditions then those from Honduras!

I think we can expect them to switch back to a 3pm game in September when hosting Canada.

Sadly, Arnold Peralta of the Honduran national team has been murdered today in a mall parking lot. He was reportedly shot. He had 25 caps and was on the roster that played Canada. This will definitely  motivate the Hondurans when they play next March. RIP

9 hours ago, canta15 said:

Sadly, Arnold Peralta of the Honduran national team has been murdered today in a mall parking lot. He was reportedly shot. He had 25 caps and was on the roster that played Canada. This will definitely  motivate the Hondurans when they play next March. RIP

Not a lot you can say in this instance, disgusting and horrible that a seemingly clean family man who dedicated his life to football has been killed by thugs.  RIP Peralta.

I can really see Honduras taking 6 points off El Salvador now.

Archived