Most Important Upcoming WCQ(s)

Tuscan

We debated this on our latest From The Black Hole podcast http://rednationonline.ca/Podcasts2015/FromtheBlackHoleEpisode61CanadasWorldCup.aspx, and I firmly believe the most important upcoming WCQ match for us will actually be the home leg of Honduras vs. El Salvador in San Salvador. I expect Honduras to win in Honduras, so it really comes down to whether El Salvador can get the W at home or at least hold the Hondurans to a draw. Honduras coming out of those two games with 6 points is, in my opinion, very bad news for us. That would mean we'd have to probably get a result in one of the three games of CanvsMex, MexvsCan, and HonvsCan. That is a daunting task and one I'm not sure we have the player quality to pull off. A bit negative towards the boys you say? If anyone here thinks Mexico isn't light-years ahead of everyone else in CONCACAF they are fooling themselves. Getting ANYTHING out of the two matches against them will be a MASSIVE result.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that we should be aiming to beat Mexico at home and start acting like we can! Floro and his coaching staff should be analyzing Chicharito and Raúl Jiménez attack and figuring out ways to stop them from creating chances. Jakovic, Ouimette, Straith, De Jong have to be all on point. Hopefully Wandrille Lefevre and Doniel Henry can come out to the camp in January. I'm flying to BC from Toronto to support our team. Fans have to show a bigger spectacle than the Honduras game. They're might be a big presence of Mexicans coming. We have to be yelling PUTO when the Mexican goalie does his goal kicks! Which we did during the Honduras game! We must provide a very intimating atmosphere for Mexicans so they make mistakes and realize that this won't be a walk in the park. We have to show them what The great white north can do. Make sure bc place dome is opened!

We debated this on our latest From The Black Hole podcast http://rednationonline.ca/Podcasts2015/FromtheBlackHoleEpisode61CanadasWorldCup.aspx, and I firmly believe the most important upcoming WCQ match for us will actually be the home leg of Honduras vs. El Salvador in San Salvador. I expect Honduras to win in Honduras, so it really comes down to whether El Salvador can get the W at home or at least hold the Hondurans to a draw. Honduras coming out of those two games with 6 points is, in my opinion, very bad news for us. That would mean we'd have to probably get a result in one of the three games of CanvsMex, MexvsCan, and HonvsCan. That is a daunting task and one I'm not sure we have the player quality to pull off. A bit negative towards the boys you say? If anyone here thinks Mexico isn't light-years ahead of everyone else in CONCACAF they are fooling themselves. Getting ANYTHING out of the two matches against them will be a MASSIVE result.

True about the Mexico being light years ahead of us but if Ireland can beat Germany at home (and if we all believe the talent gap of Ireland and Germany is similar to that of Canada and Mexico) we can do it too. Anything can happen in football.

Though a win at home vs Mexico would give us 7 and make it impossible to be eliminated in Honduras, no matter what happens. 

To me, nothing matters more than that and we should start acting like we can beat Mexico at home.

I bleed red and white, but I think this is very optimistic.  I've been behind this team for more than 30 years and I want them to win more than anything.  My heart is trying to persuade my head to agree with you, but being realistic, I would be ecstatic with a draw.

As I_love_the_beautiful_game said above, we should and perhaps even could figure out ways to stop the Mexican attack, as our defence looks as sound as it ever has, we would be extremely fortunate to put the ball in the net.

I agree that we should be aiming to beat Mexico at home and start acting like we can! Floro and his coaching staff should be analyzing Chicharito and Raúl Jiménez attack and figuring out ways to stop them from creating chances. Jakovic, Ouimette, Straith, De Jong have to be all on point. Hopefully Wandrille Lefevre and Doniel Henry can come out to the camp in January. I'm flying to BC from Toronto to support our team. Fans have to show a bigger spectacle than the Honduras game. They're might be a big presence of Mexicans coming. We have to be yelling PUTO when the Mexican goalie does his goal kicks! Which we did during the Honduras game! We must provide a very intimating atmosphere for Mexicans so they make mistakes and realize that this won't be a walk in the park. We have to show them what The great white north can do. Make sure bc place dome is opened!

Do not yell Puto. All for being as intimidating as possible but this crosses the line IMO

I agree, the El Salvador home leg of the El Salvador-Honduras battle is probably the most crucial match for us right now. 

Also, Tuscan, didn't know where to post this, but I listened to that From the Black Hole episode with Coach Gale and it was absolutely fantastic. So many little hints and things to read in to and get excited about. Well done!

I agree, the El Salvador home leg of the El Salvador-Honduras battle is probably the most crucial match for us right now. 

Also, Tuscan, didn't know where to post this, but I listened to that From the Black Hole episode with Coach Gale and it was absolutely fantastic. So many little hints and things to read in to and get excited about. Well done!

Thanks for the compliment. And I completely agree. He said a lot of interesting stuff and was very forthcoming. I sometimes think a lot of people in Canadian soccer are so happy that someone is interested in hearing what they have to say that they really open up. By contrast,  I can't imagine a basement podcast like ours would  be able to get access to the  Canadian junior hockey head coach.  We are pretty lucky that they are willing to sit down and talk to us.

I don't really understand how people can expexct to qualify without beating Mexico at home or beating El Salvador away.

One of those ships has sailed.

I fully expect Honduras to kick the door in and take at least 4 points off ES. Combine that with 3 off us and at least one off Mexico (though I'd be happy to he wrong) and they have 8-10.

Which means we need at least a draw on the 25th and probably a win based on other results. 

Optimistic is one thing to call me, but its not that I think we are going to win, it's that I think we have to. 

I don't really understand how people can expexct to qualify without beating Mexico at home or beating El Salvador away.

Honduras implodes against El Sal and ties them twice or worse.  Assuming Honduras does not win their last game to Mexico, all we would need to do is beat El Sal at home and we're through with 7 points.

We tie in Honduras.  Even if we are at 5 points and Honduras at 7 points going into the last game, we are in the driver's seat to make the Hex with 8 points (assuming Honduras loses their last game to Mexico).  

We get a point off Mexico at home, lose in Honduras, beat El Sal at home.  This requires Honduras to have a max of 4 points going into the last 2 games.  Again, if we are at 5 points and Honduras at 7 points going into the last game, we are in the driver's seat to make the Hex with 8 points (assuming Honduras loses their last game to Mexico).  

I don't see how anyone who watched Canada against Honduras and then at El Salvador can be convinced that Honduras is a much better team than El Salvador, even the weakened version fielded in the first two games. Honduras was very poor against us and worse against Mexico, despite keeping the match close in both instances.

Mexico is the class of the group, and then the remaining three teams are very similar in level. Honduras could very well take 4 or even 6 points from El Salvador, but this is far from a fait accompli. A split, 2 draws, or even losing the home-and-home against El Salvador are not out of the question, IMO.

This whole thread is meant for posts that are based on "ifs", that's why I made it. Martin's post underlines my thoughts in his 3rd point, but I'm skeptical we can hold off the Mexicans even at home. I see both the away match in Mexico and the away match in Honduras as write-offs. I'm a bit more negative in my outlook right now (perhaps the emotional beatdown from following the Nats at all levels in both genders really DOES do psychological damage to us!) and just don't think we have the quality to hold off Mexico even at BC Place. Let's be realistic here folks - their current squad will beat the US in the US in the Hex IMO.

This whole thread is meant for posts that are based on "ifs", that's why I made it. Martin's post underlines my thoughts in his 3rd point, but I'm skeptical we can hold off the Mexicans even at home. I see both the away match in Mexico and the away match in Honduras as write-offs. I'm a bit more negative in my outlook right now (perhaps the emotional beatdown from following the Nats at all levels in both genders really DOES do psychological damage to us!) and just don't think we have the quality to hold off Mexico even at BC Place. Let's be realistic here folks - their current squad will beat the US in the US in the Hex IMO.

His third point is realistic, the other two are wishful thinking. We don't need wishful thinking we need results to seal the deal. Assuming Honduras will be without Lozano, Najar and Espinoza again is also wishful thinking - they could be significantly better the last 4 matchdays and that goes for ES also.

One of those ships has sailed.

I fully expect Honduras to kick the door in and take at least 4 points off ES. Combine that with 3 off us and at least one off Mexico (though I'd be happy to he wrong) and they have 8-10.

Which means we need at least a draw on the 25th and probably a win based on other results. 

Optimistic is one thing to call me, but its not that I think we are going to win, it's that I think we have to. 

Honduras gets 6 points of El Salvador and 1 off of us. We win our final game. Do you understand now? Thats the worst case scenario for the 2nd set of matches too.

Honduras gets 6 points of El Salvador and 1 off of us. We win our final game. Do you understand now? Thats the worst case scenario for the 2nd set of matches too.

It would have been easier to beat ES "B" on the road than draw Honduras "A", understand now? Heck it might be easier to beat Mexico at home than draw in Honduras.

It would have been easier to beat ES "B" on the road than draw Honduras "A", understand now? Heck it might be easier to beat Mexico at home than draw in Honduras.

Just because one match (that we dominated) didn't go our way doesn't mean the other results are set in stone. If you haven't noticed Floro is extremely defensive minded and Canada hired him to get 0-0 draws away from home. Expect such results in the future.

Archived