Your "20-man" U-23 squad - Olympic Edition. Oct 1st to Oct 13th.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it's 6 more sleeps until the opener against USA, is it? Not a whole lot of team related news out there to comment on...

Would be nice to learn how things are developing in camp. Who can we expect to wear the Armband? Piette? Does anyone in the tournament have more senior caps than him?

How will we line up and who is looking slated to start? 

Is there anyone on the USA that we should be concerned about? Luis Gil has not been in good form this season, but Pelosi (formerly of L'pool academy) has put in some good showings for San Jose since joining in the summer window. What about Fulham's Hyndman? Gedion Zelalem hasn't struck for Rangers in his 4 appearances since joining on loan from Arsenal - but could cause us trouble.

Edit: It's a slow day so i'll add some more...

I think this is a logical line-up to expect from a 4-1-4-1 (what the senior team plays)

------------------Jackson-Hamel----------

Petrasso---Carriero--Chapman--Boakai

------------------------Piette--------------------

Gangon-Lapare----------------Franco

----------Gasparotto----Farmar-----------

------------------------Roberts------------------

The backline was hard to pick, I am worried.

In centre midfield you have an attack-minded guy, a box-to-box guy with good feet and MLS experience, and Piette. Should be solid. What does this Fury guy offer? Is he a central midfielder? Not soldon Mannella but he is decent for depth. 

Flanks are looking strong, Fisk with his speed can cause problems off the bench. I like Boakai and Petrasso on their off-flanks.

Jackson-Hamel and Clarke are both decent CF options. I think we'll see Clarke but my preference is JH. Noticed he has scored 2 in 4 for FC Montreal, not too shabby.

Not quite sure where Babouli fits in but i'm sure he can be useful to us.

Hard to argue with that  lineup Obinna. Eustaquio has been playing as the right mid in a 4-3-3 for Ottawa but haven't seen him play much. Concerned about the defense as well. We are one injury or suspension from some real problems.

Has anyone heard anything about broadcasting? Considering we can't even get WCQ on a network these days i'm not hopeful but I remember the last tournament being televised so maybe there is hope of at least a stream?

Has anyone heard anything about broadcasting? Considering we can't even get WCQ on a network these days i'm not hopeful but I remember the last tournament being televised so maybe there is hope of at least a stream?

Sportsnet owns CONCACAF tournaments, so one would guess that they would show the games unless they hate that badly the CSA.

Two things:

1) "coach Floro has all 20 squad members plus three reserves." http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-m23-opens-camp-on-road-to-rio-2016-p158583

Who are the 3 reserves?

2) What is Floro explaining from 3m10sec to 3m14secs (near the end of this video)? :huh:

re: the reserves… definitely Aparicio from the photo.  There's also a red-headed guy in the video I don't recognize (last in line behind Skylar Thomas around 0:17)  Is that Adam Bouchard?  Would make sense given their lack of defenders.

I also noticrd Buchard. Good eye. Disappointing we don't have a better back up CB. Is there any reason why Stanese was not released from Augsburg ll? 

Wonder who the third mystery reserve is?

Also, looks like JGL will be a LB based on that video. I am having nightmares of Jordan Morris torching him already - I can't think of a bigger mismatch when it comes to pace.

Okay that makes sense then regarding Stanese.

I am okay with LBG's call. Haven't seen him at all with FC Montreal his year but he's never looked like a weak link whenever i've seen him play for our youth teams.

So do we know what role these reserves will play? Will the only be included in the 18 when injury occurs? Are they part of the official squad or are we limited by when we can call in them (after the group stage for ex.).

I also noticrd Buchard. Good eye. Disappointing we don't have a better back up CB. Is there any reason why Stanese was not released from Augsburg ll? 

Wonder who the third mystery reserve is?

Also, looks like JGL will be a LB based on that video. I am having nightmares of Jordan Morris torching him already - I can't think of a bigger mismatch when it comes to pace.

all the opposition will have to do is dink it around JGL and run. I've never seen a slower pro soccer player.

part of what made this team so dangerous in the last edition was the pace of REB. He gave the Americans fits. Looks like we're going for the opposite strategy here.

Actually I don't think JGL is as slow as people are letting on.  He thinks the game pretty quick and I've seen him make some good runs in MLS.  Maybe injuries slowed him down when you saw him?

How were Adekugbe and Froese held back due to club commitments?  Let's see how much they play for the Whitecaps :) .... guaranteed minimal minutes.  

Actually I don't think JGL is as slow as people are letting on.  He thinks the game pretty quick and I've seen him make some good runs in MLS.  Maybe injuries slowed him down when you saw him?

How were Adekugbe and Froese held back due to club commitments?  Let's see how much they play for the Whitecaps :) .... guaranteed minimal minutes.  

they were held back for the CCL game Wed night. Robinson was willing to release after the game. 

Archived