Your "20-man" U-23 squad - Olympic Edition. Oct 1st to Oct 13th.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Canada Soccer twitter:

Doneil unavailable because of injury

James, Froese and Adekugbe unavailable due to club commitments

No comment on anyone else

So upset at the Whitecaps right now. I will chat with those players and see if they wanted to go, but if the club held them back just to sit on the bench or get 1 game in CCL, I will be very angry.

....And since we the US in the first game, here’s a look at the full U.S. roster for Olympic qualifying:

GOALKEEPERS:  Charlie Horton (Leeds; Cleveland Ohio), Ethan Horvath (Molde; Highlands Ranch, Colo.), Zack Steffen (Freiburg; Downington, Pa.).

DEFENDERS: Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur; Westcliff on Sea, England), Matt Miazga (New York Red Bulls; Clifton, N.J.), Eric Miller (Montreal Impact; Woodbury, Minn.), William Packwood (Unattached; Concord, Mass.), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids; Brighton, Colo.)

MIDFIELDERS: Fatai Alashe (San Jose Earthquakes; Northville, Mich.), Gboly Ariyibi (Chesterfield; Arlington, Va.), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake; Garden Grove, Calif.), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham; Dallas, Texas), Marc Pelosi (San Jose Earthquakes; Sunnyvale, Calif.), Matt Polster (Chicago Fire; Milwaukee, Wis.), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; Gahanna, Ohio), Gedion Zelalem (Rangers; Bethesda, Md.).

FORWARDS: Alonso Hernandez (C.D. Juarez; El Paso, Texas), Jerome Kiesewetter (VfB Stuttgart; Berlin, Germany), Jordan Morris (Stanford; Mercer Island, Wash.), Maki Tall (FC Sion; Washington, D.C.).

Some how some way the US always gets there players released.

Really confused about Aleman. Is he injured or being left off due to lack of match fitness? He's gotten the odd look here and there but perhaps that isn't even, even if it's with one of the big clubs in Costa Rica.

hes been starting for a big 3 club in costa rica the past month

also the whitecaps didn't want to release adegkube and froese but what about bustos?

No it isn't. I'm a fan of his yet he didn't play much at the Pan-Ams and when he did he wasn't at his best. The Floros don't seem to like him that much. A little sad but not shocking.

he was injured the entire pan am tournament. he played like 20 minutes all turni in the last game. hardly enough time to judge and say he wasn't at his best.

hes been starting for a big 3 club in costa rica. confusing as to why hes not there unless club didn't want to release him.

really disappointed in this roster. lots of strong players missing.

Despite the ommissions there is still a lot of talent on this roster.

In attack I believe Carreiro, Boakai and Petrasso have potential to create against any team and as far as holding midfielders go, Piette has enough quality and experience to do well at this level. JGL won't be intimiated either given his MLS and CMNT experience, but whether or not he is in form is another matter.

Chapman also has been involved with TFC enough this season to get the job done and Mannella is, hmm, i'm going to say adequate. He was one of the better midfielders on a weak PanAM Canadian team and while some would boast that he has made the bench plenty of times with TFC, that's far from impressive when you consider that the his American counterparts such as Trapp and Senra are regulars with Columbus and Colorado.

Excited to see Fisk and Babouli - along with Clarke and Jackson-Hamel.

....And since we the US in the first game, here’s a look at the full U.S. roster for Olympic qualifying:

GOALKEEPERS: Charlie Horton (Leeds; Cleveland Ohio), Ethan Horvath (Molde; Highlands Ranch, Colo.), Zack Steffen (Freiburg; Downington, Pa.).

DEFENDERS: Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur; Westcliff on Sea, England), Matt Miazga (New York Red Bulls; Clifton, N.J.), Eric Miller (Montreal Impact; Woodbury, Minn.), William Packwood (Unattached; Concord, Mass.), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids; Brighton, Colo.)

MIDFIELDERS: Fatai Alashe (San Jose Earthquakes; Northville, Mich.), Gboly Ariyibi (Chesterfield; Arlington, Va.), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake; Garden Grove, Calif.), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham; Dallas, Texas), Marc Pelosi (San Jose Earthquakes; Sunnyvale, Calif.), Matt Polster (Chicago Fire; Milwaukee, Wis.), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; Gahanna, Ohio), Gedion Zelalem (Rangers; Bethesda, Md.).

FORWARDS: Alonso Hernandez (C.D. Juarez; El Paso, Texas), Jerome Kiesewetter (VfB Stuttgart; Berlin, Germany), Jordan Morris (Stanford; Mercer Island, Wash.), Maki Tall (FC Sion; Washington, D.C.).

They have a bigger pool than we do, just look at MLS starters Tim Parker from the Whitecaps and Marky Delgado from TFC, Acosta at FC Dallas and then European guys like O'Neil and Rubin they didn't even call.

They have a bigger pool than we do, just look at MLS starters Tim Parker from the Whitecaps and Marky Delgado from TFC, Acosta at FC Dallas and then European guys like O'Neil and Rubin they didn't even call.

Looking at the group you posted, I'd argue Miazga is as important to Red Bulls as LAain is to Orlando, and NYRB are still battling for playoff position while Orlando are probably out of it. Seems strange we couldn't get him.

The more I look at the roster and the more I wonder how Allan Zebie did not get called up. A regular, but not every day starter, in NASL is more impressive than anyone on the backline not named Gasparotto.

Agreed!!! Too many USL players choosen over Zebie, Sadi, Aleman  ...

No team has to release anyone for these dates, they are not FIFA dates and there is no obligation. So you take what you can. In every case there is a previous conversation, and if the club says no, or the player is not interested, you just don't call them. 

Floro simply negotiates one by one, in many cases convincing the club it will be good for the player's development, market value, whatever. 

It seems that the CSA tweet points to those on Canadian teams who were not released, since for the CSA it is a problem, not legal or FIFA, but a question of CDN clubs in tune with the CSA. It is a clear dig they don't do for any non-CDN Team. So I would venture that no other MLS player on a Canadian team was invited.

I am not at all concerned about this roster, though I feel we are missing defenders. it seems to me we are only focussing on WC qualifying. If these guys want to go to the Olympics, they'll have to make it work and earn it. It was going to be tough anyways. 

I always felt that Larin would be not involved, as he'll be asked to appear in the Canada camp previous to the Ghana friendly. There is one player part of the Senior mix called here, Piette: will he stay on with Canada after this tournament?

No team has to release anyone for these dates, they are not FIFA dates and there is no obligation. So you take what you can. In every case there is a previous conversation, and if the club says no, or the player is not interested, you just don't call them.

Floro simply negotiates one by one, in many cases convincing the club it will be good for the player's development, market value, whatever.

It seems that the CSA tweet points to those on Canadian teams who were not released, since for the CSA it is a problem, not legal or FIFA, but a question of CDN clubs in tune with the CSA. It is a clear dig they don't do for any non-CDN Team. So I would venture that no other MLS player on a Canadian team was invited.

I am not at all concerned about this roster, though I feel we are missing defenders. it seems to me we are only focussing on WC qualifying. If these guys want to go to the Olympics, they'll have to make it work and earn it. It was going to be tough anyways.

I always felt that Larin would be not involved, as he'll be asked to appear in the Canada camp previous to the Ghana friendly. There is one player part of the Senior mix called here, Piette: will he stay on with Canada after this tournament?

The second half of the turni is fifa dates and mandatory release.

The second half of the turni is fifa dates and mandatory release.

It is impossible to call in new players for the last games, as you have to do it in advance, I think it might be 10 days, and you won't if you don't know if you are into semis. What do you do, go with an even shorter roster, put players who are not released on it, and have them not come? It is totally unviable. 

Only thing is for some reason they let you have reserves and you negotiate a contingency, but it makes no sense for group dynamics anyways. The guys there the first day give their all for the coach, and he goes with them, and noone else. 

It is impossible to call in new players for the last games, as you have to do it in advance, I think it might be 10 days, and you won't if you don't know if you are into semis. What do you do, go with an even shorter roster, put players who are not released on it, and have them not come? It is totally unviable. 

Only thing is for some reason they let you have reserves and you negotiate a contingency, but it makes no sense for group dynamics anyways. The guys there the first day give their all for the coach, and he goes with them, and noone else. 

Actually, reading the regulations (http://issuu.com/concacaf2013/docs/fifa_regulations_for_the_olympic_fo?e=9006389/14781173#search) -- and I might have it wrong -- it seems as though countries send a list of 50 players 30 days before the first game, and from that pool they can re-select a new 20 player roster up to the day before each game.  

Can someone confirm that I have read the regs correctly?  (section 22, Player Lists for the preliminary competitions)

GOALKEEPERS:  Charlie Horton (Leeds; Cleveland Ohio), Ethan Horvath (Molde; Highlands Ranch, Colo.), Zack Steffen (Freiburg; Downington, Pa.).

DEFENDERS: Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur; Westcliff on Sea, England), Matt Miazga (New York Red Bulls; Clifton, N.J.), Eric Miller (Montreal Impact; Woodbury, Minn.), William Packwood (Unattached; Concord, Mass.), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids; Brighton, Colo.)

MIDFIELDERS: Fatai Alashe (San Jose Earthquakes; Northville, Mich.), Gboly Ariyibi (Chesterfield; Arlington, Va.), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake; Garden Grove, Calif.), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham; Dallas, Texas), Marc Pelosi (San Jose Earthquakes; Sunnyvale, Calif.), Matt Polster (Chicago Fire; Milwaukee, Wis.), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; Gahanna, Ohio), Gedion Zelalem (Rangers; Bethesda, Md.).

FORWARDS: Alonso Hernandez (C.D. Juarez; El Paso, Texas), Jerome Kiesewetter (VfB Stuttgart; Berlin, Germany), Jordan Morris (Stanford; Mercer Island, Wash.), Maki Tall (FC Sion; Washington, D.C.).

I find the fact that Rangers released Gedion Zelalem for the tournament and not Aird is interesting, especially because Zelalem has played more this season than Aird. Maybe now Aird will get more playing time at Rangers during the tournament.

No, there is some gripping about their roster also or resignation this is the best they can hope for but still should qualify.

And they do have player from FC Unattached. And like us, they don't know always know right away if the missing weren't called or not released. For example, Yedlin isn't on the team. There is probably 5-7 players that could have been called instead like the Whitecaps Parker. Looks like the Caps like screwing Canadian & US teams.

No, there is some gripping about their roster also or resignation this is the best they can hope for but still should qualify.

And they do have player from FC Unattached. And like us, they don't know always know right away if the missing weren't called or not released. For example, Yedlin isn't on the team. There is probably 5-7 players that could have been called instead like the Whitecaps Parker. Looks like the Caps like screwing Canadian & US teams.

Klinsmann mentioned that Brooks and Yedlin would not be on the OLY team and would be with the senior side for their game against Mexico.

I find the fact that Rangers released Gedion Zelalem for the tournament and not Aird is interesting, especially because Zelalem has played more this season than Aird. Maybe now Aird will get more playing time at Rangers during the tournament.

This is just my speculation, but ever since Aird chose to represent Canada over Scotland, I think Rangers have given him the shaft. After all, they're no longer playing/developing a domestic player in their minds. Moreso, they give him a little extra jab by not releasing him to Canadian games. Whereas Zelalem is American and is a bigger name (thus far), so having him represent the USA as a Ranger in a tournament like this is noteable.

Does the USSF pay clubs to release players whereas the CSA can't afford to? Just wondering if there's any behind the scenes things we don't know about.

What do I know. I'm just a typical frustrated CMNT fan posting ridiculous things.

Archived