Your "20-man" U-23 squad - Olympic Edition. Oct 1st to Oct 13th.

2015_CONCACAF_Men%27s_Olympic_Qualifying

We are 20 days from kickoff on the road to RIO 2016! When will the 20-man squad be announced? Has it already been?

Who are your 20 choices for players born on/after Jan 1st 1993?

Pan-Ams required 18 player squads I think, but only 2 keepers instead of 3. So would you stick with that squad but throw in 1 more keeper and Cyle Larin? ;)

Can we win against the USA like last time?

Will the Panama squad be similar or identical to the squad we faced at the Pan-Ams?

Will the Cuba squad have all defected by the time we play them in the group stage?

Who's even broadcasting this tournament?

For reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_CONCACAF_Men%27s_Olympic_Qualifying_Championship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_CONCACAF_Men%27s_Olympic_Qualifying_Championship_squads

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men%27s_national_under-23_soccer_team

http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/02/54/40/46/oftsregulationsrio2016-e_neutral.pdf

Sept 18th edit:

The list is out:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-m23-picks-players-for-concacaf-olympic-qualifiers-p158531&language=en

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Squad hasnt been selected yet.

There will be major over haul from the pan am squad. Guys like petrasso larin piette hamilton froese adekugbe etc etc all eligible

You know what? I had seriously forgotten that Piette was eligible! I had forgotten how young he was when he played in the OQ last time. Petrasso I expect of course.

Where was Hamilton during the Pan-Ams again?

Who would be our top-3 keepers?

Most looking forward to seeing Boakai, Bustos, Froese, Petrasso play. I don't want to see slow ass JGL jogging around the field. This tournament will be a chance for some players to redeem themselves from u20 qualifying. Sam Adekubje was especially bad at u20s.

Can we be brave and try to play the right way? Can we be offensively dynamic keeping possession? Or are we stuck in Christmas tree formation hoping for a set piece?

I can name top 4.

Roberts. Crepeau. Gomes. Carducci

I think the purpose of Crépeau's inclusion in the recent WCQ roster was so Floro could get a look at him directly, as he has previously been injured I think. We'll see if he impressed enough to displace one of the other three. I feel like Carducci may unfortunately be the odd man out. No knock on him, but don't forget, he's still only 18!... by far the youngest of that group and IMO not physically ready to play with men (or U23s at that level).

...Or are we stuck in Christmas tree formation hoping for a set piece?

LOL!

I would also hope we use more dynamic tactics, as at this age group I feel we have the (relative) talent to do so and also not enough time to work out our set pieces the way a guy like BF would otherwise typically have his teams do.

Crepeau

Roberts

Gomes

Henry                                                                                   Roberts

Adekugbe

James

Stanese                                                Grant           Henry        James        Adekugbe

Grant

Chapman                                                                         Piette

Aleman

Petrasso

Carreiro                                            Boakai          Estaquio        Chapman      Petrasso

Estaquio

Edwards

Froese                                                                             Larin

Piette

Babouli

Larin

Boakai

Jackson-Hamel

Edit: Didn't know it was 20, Piette and Gomes are additions. 

Crepeau

Roberts

Henry                                                                                   Roberts

Adekugbe

James

Stanese                                                Grant           Henry        James        Adekugbe

Grant

Chapman                                                                         Estaquio

Aleman

Petrasso

Carreiro                                            Boakai          Froese        Chapman      Petrasso

Estaquio

Edwards

Froese                                                                             Larin

Babouli

Larin

Boakai

Jackson-Hamel

I would have Crépeau starting ahead of Roberts. Your list has 18 players. Who would be your 3rd keeper and other player?

I would have Crépeau starting ahead of Roberts. Your list has 18 players. Who would be your 3rd keeper and other player?

It's 20? Gomes and Piette. I didn't have Piette because I figured Floro would give him a break. I'm not entirely convinced Larin will be with the U23 side.

Slightly less talked about players (so far) that I would like to see get a call:

- Callum Irving: rated as top (or near top) keeper in NCAA currently.

- Ben Fisk: had a breakout season last year in Spanish D3. I would rate him higher than Hanson Boakai at the moment (and at this age level). He has more games against men and more pro/Sr. team goals and games than Boakai, Aleman or Petrasso (and at similar levels). 

Slightly less talked about players (so far) that I would like to see get a call:

- Callum Irving: rated as top (or near top) keeper in NCAA currently.

- Ben Fisk: had a breakout season last year in Spanish D3. I would rate him higher than Hanson Boakai at the moment (and at this age level). He has more games against men and more pro/Sr. team goals and games than Boakai, Aleman or Petrasso (and at similar levels).

Great points.

Not sure an NCAA player can leave school during the season for so long though in the case of Irving...

If Ben McKendry wasn't injured I'd definitely take him as our DM over JGL assuming Piette isn't called.

As I see it you should not use Larin, Piette, if they are going to be part of the Senior team.

Apart from their teams not having to release them for Olympic qualifying, not sure they'd want to go. Sure, a great opportunity for a young player, but better just let the senior squad alone. 

As far as I am concerned, you have to use the Olympic qualifiers as a way to let some of the younger guys show what they are worth, those NOT in the starting mix for the seniors. 

Yes, I am totally prioritizing WCQ over anything else. 

^ teams HAVE to release players for the second half of olympic qualies as it falls under a fifa window.

First half there is no mandate to release players.

Im of the opposite view. I want our full u23 team there. Larin piette henry included.

Qualifying for the olympics could be a major boost to the program which hasnt hae any success since 2000. Would really get the sponsors on board and heck maybe even a tv contract.

Also imagine this. canada soccer qualifies for the olympics before canada basketball does

^ teams HAVE to release players for the second half of olympic qualies as it falls under a fifa window.

First half there is no mandate to release players.

Im of the opposite view. I want our full u23 team there. Larin piette henry included.

Qualifying for the olympics could be a major boost to the program which hasnt hae any success since 2000. Would really get the sponsors on board and heck maybe even a tv contract.

Also imagine this. canada soccer qualifies for the olympics before canada basketball does

Agree with this. I think our chances of making the Hex (let alone past it) with the current crop of CMNT players is slim to none, so I would hope Floro and the CSA prioritize the U23s and field the best possible team.

Agree with this. I think our chances of making the Hex (let alone past it) with the current crop of CMNT players is slim to none, so I would hope Floro and the CSA prioritize the U23s and field the best possible team.

Honestly if anything is holding us back its the coach not the players. We have a good enough talent pool to advance to the hex and compete for a 3rd/4th place spot.

Archived