NASL Miami FC Expansion Team

Has anyone seen Florida International University Soccer Stadium, it's nice.

No football lines, I think it's a seperate turf??

The more I read about the Miami FC announcement, the more I like it.

As one of the post stated, NASL has to accept strong ownership group's rather then worrying about putting teams in the West.

Of course that would be great, and hopefully with this announcement Sacremto will really consider the NASL.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NASL has to accept strong ownership group's rather then worrying about putting teams in the West.

Actually the USSF has mandated that they must have a team in the Pacific Time zone or risk losing their D2 status.

Actually the USSF has mandated that they must have a team in the Pacific Time zone or risk losing their D2 status.

Yes, by 2016 although they can apply for a waiver if needed and USSF has granted them before for NASL and MLS.

Its in USSF's interest to build a strong D2 for the pyramid which NASL has developed into so don't think they would deny D2 sanctioning for not having a Pacific Time Zone club next season.

When was that mandated?  I had thought that the rule to avoid D2 was that they needed clubs in three distinct time zones by 2016.  Did that change, or am I just wrong in the head here?  

(side note, from what I remember reading, they also need a minimum of 12 teams, and 9 of those must be based in the US)

When was that mandated?  I had thought that the rule to avoid D2 was that they needed clubs in three distinct time zones by 2016.  Did that change, or am I just wrong in the head here?  

(side note, from what I remember reading, they also need a minimum of 12 teams, and 9 of those must be based in the US)

When the standards were created (The article I'm reading now is from 2010, NASL year 1 was in 2011, So year 6 is 2016). You can always google USSF D2 standards InsideMNsoccer

It was mentioned that you needed US-based teams in 3 separate timezones.

... don't think they would deny D2 sanctioning for not having a Pacific Time Zone club next season.

Given the frankly feckless and capricious disregard for their own policies no, I would not be suprised if the USSF granted another waiver.

But... if USL is serious about D2 and moves forward formally then USSF has an option and actual leverage to say to the NASL, "hey these guys can do it, why can't you?"

Of course that would require far more spine than the USSF has ever shown so, back to leaving the money-men to duke it out. I still say the most likely scenario is that MLS will poach a couple of NASL teams in the next few years and if USL can poach even one team on top of that the NASL will be out of business.

The NASL has more than rolled eyes and shown actual frustration from upper management in terms of the MLS "Let's expand EVERYWHERE" policies.  Unfortunately, from a business and licensing standpoint, their partnership with the MLS is starting to leave NASL in the dust. 

The other side though, Ted, is while I wholeheartedly agree with all of your points, it remains to be seen just how much fighting spirit NASL still has.  Announcing Miami like that while already discussing Hartford and Hamilton shows they aren't quite ready to roll over and die just yet. 

Next few years will be interesting. 

How big can MLS go? Even if/when MLS expands to 30 teams, there are still enough other markets to make a strong second division work. Indy, Jacksonville, Hartford, etc or some of those markets. I am becoming more and more confident that NASL will be just fine.

How big can MLS go? Even if/when MLS expands to 30 teams, there are still enough other markets to make a strong second division work. Indy, Jacksonville, Hartford, etc or some of those markets. I am becoming more and more confident that NASL will be just fine.

I think MLS wants all the markets. just like they're doing with USL and owning D3, if they can they want to own D2 too.

Well they have to put up a big fight because...

I think MLS wants all the markets. just like they're doing with USL and owning D3, if they can they want to own D2 too.

...of the USL.  Remember they are trying very hard to sanction it as D2.  Lazlo is right, NASL can't just assume it will be fine because of the number of markets, it has to actually BE a quality D2 league to stay ahead of USL.

Of course there is room for a D2 (and a D3 and D4). That is not the battle being fought here. It is NOT what we are discussing.

The battle is who "owns" the D2 league(s).

This is what is going on. MLS wants to either own outright, or at least control, the top two tiers of professional football in the US.

If USL actually gets sanctioned as D2 then NASL becomes redundent. Given it's smaller footprint the easiest decision for USSF would be to drop NASL and suggest the clubs move.

USSF and Sunil Gulati have always said that they have no interest in telling investors where or how to invest their money. They will not suggest to owners what league to play in.

NASL will lose Minny, eventually San Antonio, maybe Atlanta. As long as they continue to get owners that buy into their vision, Miami, Hamilton, Hartford, etc. they will be fine.

USSF and Sunil Gulati have always said that they have no interest in telling investors where or how to invest their money. They will not suggest to owners what league to play in.

NASL will lose Minny, eventually San Antonio, maybe Atlanta. As long as they continue to get owners that buy into their vision, Miami, Hamilton, Hartford, etc. they will be fine.

QFT

Besides the ones that have already defected, which teams are going to be poached by MLS in the next few years Ted?

LOL, like I have any inside information on the ambitions of NASL clubs.

In general however any team that wants to be part of the MLS money machine is a candidate.

As I said above it is highly unlikely that USSF would ever pull sanctioning from the NASL. They could, and if they did that would not be USSF, "telling investors where or how to invest their money."  

It is all about timing. If they can survive long enough to add four of five more teams then the loss of two or three would not be fatal. It still feels like a 50/50 proposition to me but that is the view from May of 2015. I expect the odds will be much different six months or a year from now.

edit:  Oh and just to throw another wrench in the works:

FBI indicts 9 FIFA Officials, 5 Corporate Executives Including NASL CEO Aaron Davidson

May 27 2015 08:15 AM | Brian Quarstad

The Swiss Attorney General's Office and the FBI announced early this morning that nine FIFA officials have been arrested, after raids in their five-star hotels in the early morning hours in Zurich...

[snip]

...Aaron Davidson, CEO of the North American Soccer League and president of Traffic Sports was also listed in the indictment....

Full Story>>

edit:  Oh and just to throw another wrench in the works:

FBI indicts 9 FIFA Officials, 5 Corporate Executives Including NASL CEO Aaron Davidson

May 27 2015 08:15 AM | Brian Quarstad

The Swiss Attorney General's Office and the FBI announced early this morning that nine FIFA officials have been arrested, after raids in their five-star hotels in the early morning hours in Zurich...

[snip]

...Aaron Davidson, CEO of the North American Soccer League and president of Traffic Sports was also listed in the indictment....

Yeah, that's bad. Even for Hamilton expansion, that's bad.

NASL has made the right move suspending Davidson and business dealings with Traffic. I see them distancing themselves further and Traffics last club they own being sold in the near future.

NASL is strong enough at this point to successfully move forward from this with the new moneyed owners they are attracting like media magnet Ricardo Silva in Miami.

Listening to Ultra's Alive podcast with the CEO of Miami FC this week he stated that the clubs stadium announcement should come in the next few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived