NASL Miami FC Expansion Team

Miami FC’s Silva beginning process to create ‘Americas Champions League’

http://www.sbisoccer.com/2015/08/beginning-americas-champions.html

Silva, president and founding partner of media rights firm MP & Silva, revealed to SBI on Wednesday that there are wheels spinning on a potential “Americas Champions League”, a competition that would feature the best teams from North, Central and South America.

With MP & Silva, the Miami FC owner has a portfolio that includes the 2014  World Cup, Serie A, Premier League, La Liga and Bundesliga among its more than 50 sports properties. Silva is now hoping to expand into the Americas, while hopefully creating the area’s premier club competition.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paolo Maldini and Alessandro Nesta giving NASL an Italian renaissance with Miami FC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/major-league-soccer/12025159/Paolo-Maldini-and-Alessandro-Nesta-giving-NASL-an-Italian-renaissance-with-Miami-FC.html

"The pull of Nesta and Maldini is not only huge for prospective players and supporters (the Dade Brigade), it has also proved a real boon for the club's commercial plans.

This can be seen in the arrival of Italian sportswear company Macron, who will sponsor the club for three years, provide kits and distribute merchandise to retailers.

"This is a very ambitious project," said Macron CEO Gianluca Pavanello. "Until now Macron has not entered the United States market and our first goal is to expand the brand in Europe."

Riccardo Silva mixes business with pleasure at Miami FC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/major-league-soccer/12051799/Riccardo-Silva-mixes-business-with-pleasure-at-Miami-FC.html

But the Italian also sees a long-term business opportunity and, for him, owning an NASL team makes far more business sense than owning one in MLS.

"For me Miami FC, it is about passion," Silva told The Telegraph in an interview at MP & Silva's London office. "It's a project in which I'm not involved on a day-by-day operation because of MP & Silva which is huge and there is a lot of work to be done.

"I love soccer so think it's a fantastic project - but I also think it has a strong business potential. We start small, of course, it is a, let's say, humble project, but it has huge potential because soccer is going to grow in the US a lot.

"It's very long term - I did it thinking about the next 10 or 20 years. It's very exciting for me and I look forward to the first matches."

• 3 months later...

Why did I keep thinking that the new owner of this Miami team was  Brazilean, in fact the owner Silva is Italian and comes from one of Italy's richest families and has created a few companies on his own reading his bio, therefore a pretty rich owner that probably could have been an owner in the MLS with his money.

Sharethis page

Nesta & Maldini beat Beckham to Miami team

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2TyxMYdTXppH5H1d9SZMbss/nesta-maldini-beat-beckham-to-miami-team

"Football is finally coming to Miami, but two years after former England captain David Beckham was first identified as the star name to try to establish a Miami franchise, two Italian World Cup winners have jumped ahead in South Florida.

p03n52ps.jpg

Alessandro Nesta and Paulo Maldini, so long the backbone of the AC Milan defence are building a team from scratch, from leasing a ground, finding sponsors and scouting players. Nesta is the coach, Maldini the co-owner of Miami FC"

• 4 weeks later...

ehhhh... I'll wait to see what they get consistently. From what I heard there was all kinds of deals for tickets for this game, including getting a ticket to the game when you attended a local fair.

If they can do this on a regular basis, then that's fantastic.

• 1 month later...

MIAMI FC ADDS SIERRA LEONE INTERNATIONAL MICHAEL LAHOUD

https://www.miamifc.com/news/2016/05/24/miami-fc-adds-sierra-leone-international-michael-lahoud

The Miami FC announced today they have acquired veteran midfielder Michael Lahoud in a transfer with Major League Soccer (MLS) side Philadelphia Union. The terms of the deal were not disclosed, per club policy.

“We are happy to have Michael here in Miami,” said Miami FC head coach Alessandro Nesta. “The club is looking to finish the season strong and I think Michael will help us do just that.”

Transfer fee was apparently $300K

7 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I don't know about the Ft Lauderdale and Miami teams' long term futures as they seem to be drawing less than 2,000 a game recently.  Very typical South Florida...

Miami is known as a poor sports market re fan support, luckily the Strikers and the Miami FC have owners worth nearly 1 billion dollars!

drevil.jpg~c200

23 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

MIAMI FC ADDS SIERRA LEONE INTERNATIONAL MICHAEL LAHOUD

https://www.miamifc.com/news/2016/05/24/miami-fc-adds-sierra-leone-international-michael-lahoud

The Miami FC announced today they have acquired veteran midfielder Michael Lahoud in a transfer with Major League Soccer (MLS) side Philadelphia Union. The terms of the deal were not disclosed, per club policy.

“We are happy to have Michael here in Miami,” said Miami FC head coach Alessandro Nesta. “The club is looking to finish the season strong and I think Michael will help us do just that.”

Transfer fee was apparently $300K

Where did you get your info about the transfer fee? 300k would be an enormous sum to pay for a 29 year old career backup MLS player who was on loan to another NASL team.

• 5 weeks later...

If the transfer fee and salary figures are correct again this makes no sense. A guy with one MLS season under his belt as a sometimes starter on an expansion team who was hardly playing this year and on a salary close to the league minimum.

3 hours ago, Grizzly said:

If the transfer fee and salary figures are correct again this makes no sense. A guy with one MLS season under his belt as a sometimes starter on an expansion team who was hardly playing this year and on a salary close to the league minimum.

He played well last year and was a fan favorite in NY but the new coach this year didn't play him much. Poku has lots of talent and an exciting style. The Miami FC overpaid but they seem to be focusing on adding players with NASL experience in their past on their rebuild for the Fall Season.

Story on the Poku Transfer from Britain :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2016/07/01/kwadwo-poku-looks-to-get-party-started-again-at-miami-fc/

Poku thrust himself into the spotlight with some breakout performances for New York City - including four goals and seven assists - in what was a dismal first season for the high-profile MLS club.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Fall Season opening attendance for Miami FC last Saturday at 4519, guess some of the recent signings have helped and the club is playing much better :

Cm93GIqWcAAbqQs.jpg:large

Seeing as the club has international TV coverage would be nice if they can maintain a 4-5K average for the rest of the season.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

The Miami FC continues to impress, 9739 fans at last Saturdays match vs Minnesota.

I'm taking that with a giant grain of salt... They are notorious for selling SUPER cheap tickets/giving them away in Miami (Think they were selling $1 tickets the first game)... And they had given anyone who bought a ticket for the game previous a voucher for a future game (since it had poor weather).

I like seeing that number, but I'd like to see it grow consistently, rather than some SERIOUSLY up and down numbers. They've had several around 10k, but they've also had several around 1-2000.

I agree they've been selling some cheap tickets and some give aways but getting that many actual fans to the game is a good accomplishment, 60% of free tickets usually go unused some studies have found. Making money on 100% of the booze, food, and parking fees which is the Miami FC's deal with FIU brings money in also.

Here's a pic from last Saturday as well :

Cq60BgjWAAAFSMX.jpg

Have to say, its a weird stadium. Everything being so low from field level... hard to determine how good the crowd is from watching the game. 

I'm still holding out for more games with similar attendance before I get TOO excited or positive about them. With their payroll, they'd probably lose money even with constant sellouts 

• 2 months later...

Riccardo Silva 'very happy' with Miami FC's solid start in NASL

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/11/riccardo-silva-very-happy-with-miami-fcs-solid-start-in-nasl/

As Riccardo Silva reflects on his first season as Miami FC owner, it quickly becomes clear that his value to the North American Soccer League is huge.

"Over the course of our interview, the Italian media magnate casually mentions he personally arranged the league's TV deals with CBS and beIN Sports - and he even got Phil Collins (whose youngest children play soccer with Silva's in Miami) to come to a Miami FC home game as a fan.

Silva says he is "very happy" with how Miami FC have done both on and off the field "

Archived