Apr 7 Impact vs Alajuelense In Costa Rica

• 2 weeks later...

Is this familiar? In front of the hotel the Impact are staying in.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152755621361127&fref=nf

Also fans of the other Costa Rican team still in the competition, Herediano, threw objects at Club America's bus after the first round game breaking some of the windows.

https://twitter.com/werodiaz96/status/578061138681692160/photo/1

It won't be easy there.

You know, for all those saying on twitter and such that it should have been easier or could have been simpler, there is no could have or should have in Central America. It's a complete gong show and if you escape with a result that's all that matters. What was that pitch, astroturf? And the ref blew at least 3 opportunities to caution players leading to a crazier situation. Add to that all the stomping and face grabbing, missiles and projectiles etc I bet none of the players feel like they should  begrudge themselves any of it. (Except Ciman who always has something autocritical to say which I like).

Yeah Ciman was right on when he said he was not happy how they sat back too much in the second half. Seriously I was having freaking 2009 flashbacks esti! If they would've countered they surely could've put in a few more goals but often there was just Piatti holding the ball with nobody to support. Anyways they made it to the final! Good news for the Impact, MLS and Canada and the return game in Montreal.

I want to thank Craig Forrest for speaking up on tonight's broadcast on SportsNet about the absolutely embarrassing conduct of the fans in Costa Rica.  I also applaud his calling out of CONCACAF for its ignoring of this ongoing blight on the sport.  Central Americans may be avid fans of the games but when the host games such as this they are among the worst fans (and actually they are not fans they are hooligans).  There behaviour harkens back to the Ugly Englishmen of the 80s whose barbaric behaviour saw English clubs banned from European competitions for a couple years.  Even the recent embarrassing behaviour by Montenegrin fans at a Euro Qualifier against the Russians was halted by match officials.  It seems UEFA gets it while CONCACAF doesn't.  As long as the Mexicans and Central Americans have success on the field, regardless of the tactics, all is good in CONCACAF.

The situation, which I have seen on TV time and time again, as well as reports from players returning from games in this region, has been a long-time frustration of mine.  I sincerely believe it unfairly tips the competitive balance in CONCACAF against teams from Canada and the United States, the fact that the Impact prevailed (barely) tonight only shows the effort required to overcome these tactics.

My dissatisfaction with CONCACAF's failure to address this embarrassment has encouraged me to write an e-mail to that organization which I have done tonight.  Essentially I have questioned the confederation's integrity and its commitment to fair play.  I realize, in addition to the ongoing embarrassment that is Central American football, CONCACAF is also one of the most corrupt sports organizations in the world, making it a breeding ground for future FIFA executives!  Nonetheless, the game does not belong to the executives of FIFA or CONCACAF, it belongs to the fans, the players and the officials.  If we accept the arrogance of CONCACAF, we are equally to blame.  However, if we stand up point out that, yes, the King has no clothes, then we can be part of the solution.  Fans in countries like Costa Rica must accept that the game must be played on the field and, short of cheering or jeering, fans should not be aiding in the outcome.

My fullest congratulations to FC Impact de Montreal, my absolute disdain for the hooligans that threw garbage and other objects at the Montreal players and the officials (who wouldn't buy into the play acting and shenanigans of the Alajuelense club).  My only concern is that, barring a major comeback by Club America, Montreal's next Champions League game will also be in this backward corner of the football world.

If I have offended any Alajuelense, Costa Rican or Central American fans, take a long hard look at the continuing behaviour of your fellow supporters before you respond to my comments.

I agree with you guys.  Forrest tonight said that the game in Europe would have been halted.  He's right.  3-0 Montreal in the books easily could have been the result tonight.  It's a shame, because a few fans would be ruining it for everyone, but hey, we watched how many empty stadium games in European competitions this year?  It's not good for the team, that's a huge money hit, but I remember watching Zenit St. Petersburg on Sportsnet as an example, and the atmosphere was nil.

Good on you for the letter Driller.  And good on Forrest too.

Costa Rica will only have 2 births next year in the CCL instead of 3.  Fitting but funny considering all three teams last year advanced to the QF and 2 to the semis.  And what did the American MLS teams do?  Why should MLS get 5 teams every year when they've been useless in the tournament and don't care about it?  I think that 3 USA spots and 1 Canadian spot would be fitting... Mexico should get 4 spots still considering they win it every year.

What would happen if Canadian fans acted the same as the Costa Rican fans did this evening?  CONCACAF would probably kick our team out of the tournament!

Oh, please, CONCACAF would do nothing.

MLS and the franchise, however would do something about it. From what I've heard, the Ultras couldn't bring flags, drums at their last away game in New England (Grizzly could probably say more about it) for what happened against Pachuca. Fact is MLS would do more than CONCACAF would ever do.

Great game - certainly plenty of drama. 

Noted that Ciman wasn't bothered by the fans - said it was worse when playing Standard Liege!  He had a great game.  Actually, I thought the entire team played about as well as they could, given the poor pitch and conditions. 

All things considered, thought the ref just barely retained control of the match - would have been tough for him had he given out too many yellows early in the match.  He retained control, and I didn't feel like any dangerous free kick wasn't earned.  Most impressive was that Montreal did not get suckered into taking any stupid fouls for red cards.  Despite all the goading, they stayed very calm. 

Archived