Apr 7 Impact vs Alajuelense In Costa Rica

As a Voyageur I'm excited that Bernier came on and set up what would prove to be the series winning goal. It's criminal Reo-Coker is starting over Bernier in Central America considering Bernier's experience down there and the difference in how they deal with it. Reo-Coker looked like a man who just woke up on a different planet all game. Piatti and Ciman as well, were obviously rattled and confused although they dealt with it better than Reo-Coker. I really hope Bernier starts in his place in Costa Rica (or Mexico). But my hopes are not too high. Unfortunately.

Great game - certainly plenty of drama. 

Noted that Ciman wasn't bothered by the fans - said it was worse when playing Standard Liege!  He had a great game.  Actually, I thought the entire team played about as well as they could, given the poor pitch and conditions. 

All things considered, thought the ref just barely retained control of the match - would have been tough for him had he given out too many yellows early in the match.  He retained control, and I didn't feel like any dangerous free kick wasn't earned.  Most impressive was that Montreal did not get suckered into taking any stupid fouls for red cards.  Despite all the goading, they stayed very calm. 

Except for the hair pull by Soumare in retaliation for an uncalled elbow by MacDonald, but luckily for the Impact he was well sly enough about it.

With a Champions League final to look forward to, the Impact announced that the home leg will take place at the Olympic Stadium on April 29. They'll find out their opponent on Wednesday night, after Club América take on Herediano (10 pm ET; Fox Sports 2 and UDN) in the second leg of the other semifinal. The Mexican side trail 3-0 on aggregate to the Costa Ricans.

Cudos to the Impact, maybe they can use CL success to jump start their MLS season.  I know MLS probably doesn't care, but is there no way MLS can force Concacaf to police the teams? You could clearly see something hit Bush in the head and several shoes flying at the linesman later in the game.  No wonder our CMNT has such a hard time getting results in CONCACAF.  Irks me that the Womens world cup had all the problems with using artificial turf, when you see the astroturf our MLS teams have to play on.  

As a Voyageur I'm excited that Bernier came on and set up what would prove to be the series winning goal. It's criminal Reo-Coker is starting over Bernier in Central America considering Bernier's experience down there and the difference in how they deal with it. Reo-Coker looked like a man who just woke up on a different planet all game. Piatti and Ciman as well, were obviously rattled and confused although they dealt with it better than Reo-Coker. I really hope Bernier starts in his place in Costa Rica (or Mexico). But my hopes are not too high. Unfortunately.

Piatti look rattled??? really do you know where he has played? Argentina champion, copa libertadores champion, yet hes rattled by 18,000? Get educated about South american soccer mate. Watch a libertadores game or argentine league match. And Ciman looked fine aswell.

Except for the hair pull by Soumare in retaliation for an uncalled elbow by MacDonald, but luckily for the Impact he was well sly enough about it.

When he did that I said I don't want to watch any more, how can he take a chance like that, he needs to say something. Another thing that made me crazy is Bush getting a yellow, another brain dead decision. Followed the 2nd half on twitter rather than break my TV.

Send letters to the CSA, the leadership needs to speak up. As a fan I was asked to leave game early by police, which pissed me off.

Hi Trillium. I understand your frustration of having to leave a game early in which you paid money to travel and see although if you say he asked you that probably means that you did have the choice to stay and watch and possibly get attacked.

I am not saying you don't have the right not to be upset about that but considering you guys were like 10 fans wearing the enemies colors in a stadium packed with rabid fans you run the risk of getting targeted. It only takes one idiot and as we all could see there were plenty of idiots there, it's just the football culture there, so I think the police man did the right thing of asking you to go since they were looking out for your safety. Some people there take their football very seriously. Like life and death and act with their primal instincts not like here were most can be civil and not stab another fan etc.

Bernier may have more experience in central america but throughout his career he has played horrible down there.  His last 2 away matches against Panama for Canada have been embarrassing knowing his standard. 

Hi Trillium. I understand your frustration of having to leave a game early in which you paid money to travel and see although if you say he asked you that probably means that you did have the choice to stay and watch and possibly get attacked.

I am not saying you don't have the right not to be upset about that but considering you guys were like 10 fans wearing the enemies colors in a stadium packed with rabid fans you run the risk of getting targeted. It only takes one idiot and as we all could see there were plenty of idiots there, it's just the football culture there, so I think the police man did the right thing of asking you to go since they were looking out for your safety. Some people there take their football very seriously. Like life and death and act with their primal instincts not like here were most can be civil and not stab another fan etc.

The crowd was no worse then in Panama City for Canada Panama in the last cycle,the reality is if you travel to away games be aware, I have done enough now to have an idea of the crowd, getting the finger and beer poured are just minor...you need to go to the next game in CR or Mexico and enjoy it.

Meh I would if I had the funds. I laughed when I saw you on tv w the idiot that came behind you mouthing off. I was like wow they're ballsy to be a small group in the lions den but yeah nothing beats the passion of central and South American games, especially when the game counts for something. That's worth the money alone.

Club America was unplayable tonight. Considering how poor defensively IMFC looked against Alajuelense, esp with Reo Coker... 

Let's just hope that IMFC comes out of Azteca with something to play for 2nd leg and not get blown out. Keep making the silly mistakes IMFC did against Alajuelense... well, Club America has way more potent weapons to punish mistakes. Peralta, Zuniga and Benedetto are lethal. And Quintero too? Ridiculous firepower

Well    now  it  is  Club  America    Azteca  here  we  come    It  will  not  be  easy  getting  any  result   down  there,  with  the  Heat  , Altitude,  Werd   Concacaf   officiating.  Lets  hope    they  can  at  least   get  a  goal   or  just  give  up  1  or  2.  Because   I  want  to  see  a  50000    crowd  at  the  Big  Owe. 

Piatti look rattled??? really do you know where he has played? Argentina champion, copa libertadores champion, yet hes rattled by 18,000? Get educated about South american soccer mate. Watch a libertadores game or argentine league match. And Ciman looked fine aswell.

I'm not suggesting they were rattled by the number of tickets sold, "mate". They have played in classier leagues and were dismayed by the cheap and dirty tactics of the Tico players as well, you could see the surreal glances they were casting around. Thankfully and to their credit, (and as I already said), Piatti and Ciman managed to play well anyways, too bad can't say the same for Reo-Coker. I will make sure to get educated though, thanks for that.

Honestly Keano, I don't think Piatti would be surprised by any of it.. Ticos are dirty sure but in South America he would see the same tactics against certain opponents.  When they came out for the anthems you could see Bush was pretty amazed and leaned over to say something to Piatti and he just had a unfazed look on his face. 

First congrats to Montreal for pulling it off in horrendous conditions. Second, if you want to complain do it to FIFA and get them after CONCACRAP. The racist nonsense is clearly grounds for a 1 year ban of Costa Rican teams from the CCL at least.

First congrats to Montreal for pulling it off in horrendous conditions. Second, if you want to complain do it to FIFA and get them after CONCACRAP. The racist nonsense is clearly grounds for a 1 year ban of Costa Rican teams from the CCL at least.

Out of sight out of mind.  FIFA doesn't care about racism, closing stadiums costs them $.

I could never imagine FIFA delivering such a ban to a Central American/CONCACAF team unless there was a death involved. 

Archived