Whitecaps FC (II) USL Pro 2015

• 4 months later...

We need 1 or 2 more NASL teams as well as a few more USL pro teams. Calgary, Hamilton, Halifax, Winnipeg.

Yes we do!

The USL Pro teams won't be eligible for the Voyageurs Cup.

The ones affiliated with an MLS side will not be eligible but independent USL Clubs would be.

It's official now WhitecalsFC will have a USL Pro team playing in 2015season out of UBC. They also have Family Packages 199$ for season available.

As I mentioned in another tread a USL Pro team would do very well along the Skytrain route. Richmond, Surrey something like that. Many families would go see the game that way. UBC will be harder. Still Congrats and Finally another team in USL Pro. I Hope the Victoria Highlanders do the jump to USL Pro for 2016 season.

So, I will put my thoughts on the 3 teams in the Whitecaps thread, only because I this is the most recent thread on the issue.

These 3 new teams are great news for the development on Canadian soccer talent, but right now, it is only a great news story on paper. For me, over the next year, the following points will be key:

1. How many roster spots are filled by Canadian talent? If it's closer to 50% than 100%, that's not acceptable in my view. IMO, if less than 90% of the roster spots are filled by Canadian talent, then that will be a huge disappointment.

2. How many players are graduating over time from the USL Pro team to their respective first teams? I will argue that having at least one USL Pro graduate full time to the first team roster, and getting consistent minutes, should be an achievable goal right now.

3. Are the USL Pro teams snatching up players outside of their catchment? Do players in AB, SK and MB get snapped up the Caps? What about the maritimes, do the Impact or TFC anyone look there?

I fully expect to be let down on point 1 in 2015, but I'm hoping that is not the case.

Shermanator you will be disappointed as I believe its 6/11 Starting players that has to be Canadian. I believe Duane Rollins mentioned it

Yup, I'm aware of the requirements, and yes I imagine the roster spots will not be 90% Canadian in 2015. I'm saying that there should be no reason why more than a few foreign players should take up these spots. All of the press releases pointed to this being key to developing local, Canadian, talent.

From TFC's release: "I feel this pathway will help us bridge the gap between the academy and first team level and enable some talented young men, especially Canadian players to really learn their trade and develop into legitimate first team players.” (Bent)

From VWFC's release: "These initiatives will provide a positive impact and lasting legacy for Whitecaps FC, Canadian soccer, UBC, and the community at large" (Lenarduzzi)

From IMFC's release: "The new team will be composed predominantly of young Quebec players from our U18 and U23 teams." (Saputo)

So, I will have high expectations of these teams to do just that. 90% may be unrealistic in 2015 but not past that, IMO.

I think that 90% roster spots being local and 10% others who they want to take a look at would be feasible. With 6/11 starters being mandated by the CSA to be Canadians (hopefully they clarify that to CMNT eligible) you would need at least 75% roster spots to keep yourself covered for gameday.

We'll see but I doubt it will be anywhere lower that 75% of the roster and I could see it being a lot higher.

The CSA announced it months ago.

It's somehwere on this forum.

As was clarified later by Ted this is for MLS farm teams only.

Yep, the CSA declared that these reserve teams would not be allowed to compete. They could change that and let in a few more USL Pro teams and we would have something really special...

The US Open Cup had the PDL teams of Portland and Seattle as well as LA Galaxy 2 this year so no reason the CSA could not follow the same model.

So, the US and Liechtenstein are the only countries that I know that allow it, so we should do it? Also,

if they allow those teams, that means more matches for their Senior team. I donn't think that  those clubs would be happy to play one or two more games to play against a reserve team. I don't think that it's worth it anyways.

I do think that a USL Pro tournament between those teams is interesting, but reserve teams should never been allowed in the same tournament as the first team, it's just ridiculous.

I think that 90% roster spots being local and 10% others who they want to take a look at would be feasible. With 6/11 starters being mandated by the CSA to be Canadians (hopefully they clarify that to CMNT eligible) you would need at least 75% roster spots to keep yourself covered for gameday.

We'll see but I doubt it will be anywhere lower that 75% of the roster and I could see it being a lot higher.

In the statement by the CSA they said CMNT eligible.  

"

Each team will be required to ensure that 50 percent of its active USL-Pro roster is Canadian. Importantly, it defines Canadians not by their citizenship but rather by their national team eligibility. Canadians capped by other nations are free to play for the teams, but will be considered imports in relation to CSA sanctioning.

To ensure that the cubs aren't just filling out their roster with Canadians for the sake of meeting the quota, the CSA is also requiring that six of the starting 11 players for each game be Canadian.

"

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/csa-requires-strict-canadian-quotas-for-usl-pro-sanctioning-r4815

Personally, I would rather have 3 more fully independent NASL teams as opposed to the 3 USL teams in the Voyageurs Cup.

Or even 3 USL Pro teams that are "independent".....but with CSA Quotas as an input.

And I would argue that the MLS affiliate clubs make more independent USL Pro clubs and more NASL clubs in Canada more likely. If these teams are successful then more Canadian players will be playing professionally and they all cannot make the MLS teams. If more players can find pro spots then more kids will stay in the program looking for a pro spot. If pro soccer is played in more Canadian cities then more media will cover the games and more spectators will be able to follow the leagues. If more spectators follow the leagues then more local clubs will be formed at the USL Pro level and perhaps even the NASL level.

It is all one giant feedback loop where more soccer breeds more soccer. Successful clubs breed more successful clubs. The model that has worked over and over again in other countries might finally be allowed to build a new kind of football culture in this country and then maybe, just maybe we will qualify for the World Cup again in my lifetime. :)

Or we could just sit around and spend next twenty years arguing about the perfect all-Canadian league that never actually gets off the ground.

Archived