Whitecaps FC (II) USL Pro 2015

And I would argue that the MLS affiliate clubs make more independent USL Pro clubs and more NASL clubs in Canada more likely. If these teams are successful then more Canadian players will be playing professionally and they all cannot make the MLS teams. If more players can find pro spots then more kids will stay in the program looking for a pro spot. If pro soccer is played in more Canadian cities then more media will cover the games and more spectators will be able to follow the leagues. If more spectators follow the leagues then more local clubs will be formed at the USL Pro level and perhaps even the NASL level.

It is all one giant feedback loop where more soccer breeds more soccer. Successful clubs breed more successful clubs. The model that has worked over and over again in other countries might finally be allowed to build a new kind of football culture in this country and then maybe, just maybe we will qualify for the World Cup again in my lifetime. :)

Or we could just sit around and spend next twenty years arguing about the perfect all-Canadian league that never actually gets off the ground.

I agree with you Ted WFC2 might be a catalyst for the Victoria Highlanders FC yo make the jump to USL Pro since they will have all Cascadia teams a few hours away. Same might happen with other USL Pro affiliates announced earlier.

I agree with you Ted WFC2 might be a catalyst for the Victoria Highlanders FC yo make the jump to USL Pro since they will have all Cascadia teams a few hours away. Same might happen with other USL Pro affiliates announced earlier.

That would be awesome if it does happen. The CSA might not let it happen though, as they're apparently trying organize a D2 league and I think the D2/3 hold on new clubs is still in effect. It makes it a lot more likely though, at some point in the future. We'll see.

Got to assume the Cascadia USL Pro teams, as well as California based ones will be stable with their MLS affiliation, which I think will probably precipitate the creation of a few more USL Pro teams in the region over the next 5yrs or so. I feel like the barrier to more Pro clubs on the West Coast has been travel times/cost, but with a new nucleus of clubs all of a sudden created, I think it will be a real catalyst for expansion at this level, for new clubs, or PDL teams looking to make the jump... not just the Highlanders, but south of the boarder as well.

There are 10 non-MLS affiliated PDL teams on the West Coast. I could definitely see a few of them at least looking to make the jump. There are 2 current California based teams, not directly owned by an MLS club. It would be nice to eventually see the number of non-MLS affiliate teams equal the number of MLS affiliate ones.

This can only be a good thing for west coast Soccer in general. Especially as Canadians count as domestics in USL Pro, so even if residency kids don't catch on with the Whitecaps after residency/college, and still want to play pro soccer, they will have more jobs to compete for, and exposure to the other west coast clubs via their time with the VWC.

On another topic:

I personally would like to see the all three new Canadian D3 affiliate clubs fill in their rosters with veteran Canadian D2 players, not just prospects and players playing down from the 1st team. I.e. something like 8 residency grads, 8 seasoned D2 pros, and 8 MLS depth players regularly switching back and forth between the two teams. This is essentially what LAG II did, and it was a very good formula IMO. I would like to see them build these teams to win, and be competitive, as well as develop players.

This would also keep Canadian journeymen and career D2 guys in the game a lot longer. I think as valuable as developing the kids is, keeping Canadian journeymen and D2 guys in the game longer is every bit as critical for developing the critical mass of coaching and "soccer IQ" that we need to move the game forward.

Another interesting thing that's needs to be said last year USL Pro Announced that All Teams will have their games Available OnLine something like MLS Live except for Free. Will be interesting to see if USL Pro mandates same thing from the USL Pro "affiliates" that TO, Van and Mtl will have. I don't see why not and seeing new teams is always fun.

Another interesting thing that's needs to be said last year USL Pro Announced that All Teams will have their games Available OnLine something like MLS Live except for Free. Will be interesting to see if USL Pro mandates same thing from the USL Pro "affiliates" that TO, Van and Mtl will have. I don't see why not and seeing new teams is always fun.

I think so. Last year, the Impact streamed home games in reserve league action when they played USL pro teams

Think the Duzz said games would be available on YouTube during the press scrum at UBC?

In the statement by the CSA they said CMNT eligible.  

"

Each team will be required to ensure that 50 percent of its active USL-Pro roster is Canadian. Importantly, it defines Canadians not by their citizenship but rather by their national team eligibility. Canadians capped by other nations are free to play for the teams, but will be considered imports in relation to CSA sanctioning.

To ensure that the cubs aren't just filling out their roster with Canadians for the sake of meeting the quota, the CSA is also requiring that six of the starting 11 players for each game be Canadian.

"

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/csa-requires-strict-canadian-quotas-for-usl-pro-sanctioning-r4815

Good. Thanks for clarifying that MNT eligible part. I missed it. Free videos would be deluxe. Just being able to watch the games would be a treat to see players in action instead of just highlight reels.

So with out of 11 starters required I can't see it being less than 75% and probably closer to 90%. Injuries, suspensions and other issues mean more rotation than the top club as well. 

Archived