2014-2015 CCL Group Stage

The CCL group stage schedule was announced this morning, the first fixtures being played on August 5th, the last on October 23rd. 

Montreal's fixtures:

August 5th v FAS (1st place El Salvador Apetura), 8pm ET

September 17th v RBNY, 8pm ET

I'm surprised that Montreal's fixture against FAS is only 48 hours after they host TFC at Saputo stadium.

Its pretty amazing that no one at CONCACAF seems to be able to schedule the games.. especially the away games to smaller citys in Central American so a fan base could travel down to watch games.

I think its one of reasons CCL does not garner much hype in that to travel is made hard, for example CCL citys in Central America are served by Spirit Airlines at cheap rates out of FTL, and flights to there from Canada can be had fairly cheaply.... so if your going to San Salvador it makes sense to look at flight times and days and perhaps schedule so you can fly and watch and return in two days ..not five or six.

• 4 weeks later...

1-0 win for the Impact over CD FAS at Saputo.

I was there last night and I have to say that Voyageur's Cup, and CCL matches are proving to me much more entertaining than an MLS encounter be it this year or in the past. 

The visiting team has their supporters challenging the Ultras with their own noise forced the hand sitters to assist the Ultras to dominate. Expulsions(2) coach Klopas and Camara, an enraged De Vaio, questionable officiating and a 1-0 scoreline made it another never to be missed competition.

Presonally, I've been keeping an eye on NY's playoff race and pretty much the worst case scenario for NYRB this week, They are still in 4th place but only by a thread. Another bad week and they could find themselves 7th.

This puts extra pressure on their CCL roster choices and if it keeps up long enough, it hopefully impacts their performance.

• 2 weeks later...

can't argue with 6 points. 

While I don't want to underestimate FAS too much, I'd imagine NY will beat them by as much as we did, so it will all come down to our last 2 games. Whomever takes more points than the other will win basically.

But if FAS gets a win somewhere, then we are pretty much qualified.

Another interesting aspect is that a couple of the high ranked teams have already dropped points, either with losses or draws. That means we have a good chance being a high seed next round(assuming we qualify of course)

That was a complete joke.  It's a shame because that was actually a really exciting match if not for the clown of a ref.  He should never ref another CONCACAF game again.

NYRB will be in tough to get two results with reffing like that.

That was a complete joke.  It's a shame because that was actually a really exciting match if not for the clown of a ref.  He should never ref another CONCACAF game again.

NYRB will be in tough to get two results with reffing like that.

Both PKs were absolute horseshite, Felipe never deserved a second yellow and it looked to me like Issey was fouled. That's 4 major mistakes, the kind you normally see once or twice in a season from a ref not 4 in one game. Unbelievable.

Guest ClaytonA

... Expulsions(2) coach Klopas and Camara, an enraged De Vaio, questionable officiating ...

I can remember a radio interview where Jason Devos was talking about the ribbing he`d take from European players when Canada played Central American teams.

How the players would go on about, how hard could it be &etc.

Jason then went on a pretty good long rant/chuckle about stadia/fields, intimidating fans, off-field developing country issues, and Central American refs.  CONCACAF is not as easy as some people would have you believe.  It's good to get Canadian players a taste in club competitions, so that when they play internationaly they've had some experience.

Keven Aleman did not make an appearance for CS Herediano in the game against Leon. The game ended 1 - 1 in Mexico. Seems the team is pretty good which will make it hard for Aleman to get playing time but at least will get him playing with quality players.

• 3 weeks later...

Does Montreal have an 'A' lineup? They are tissue paper any time a team puts a bit of pressure on.

Those 2 scentences are not mutually exclusive.

Montreal's offense, composed of DiVaio, Piatti, Duka and Romero(not to mention the soon to return Mapp) are among the most dangerous in the league, and I expect them to continue to be so next season.

On the other hand we've had huge weaknesses across the back line, from Krol at LB, all our DM's and pretty much anyone but Ferrari in CB.

But this is also stabilizing. 

Mallace is quickly improving as a DM, alongside Bernier, and Jeremy Gagnion-Lapare seems like he's a perfect fit at RB. Camara is fine on the left and our center will probably be Lefevre and Ferrari.

They can't take the top talents in the league, but the rotated squad NY will bring should be manageable.

Well, Di Viao's going to leave, and he is really showing his age in any case. That leaves a rotation of McInerney and Jackson-Hamel as far as I see. Not very intimidating, and Felipe isn't very good relative to his position in MLS. Mallace is too green and Bernier is too old and the backline has a lot of question marks. They are not as bad as this record but they have a lot of problems as well.

Montreal's offense with the second least goals is one of the league's most dangerous?  For 10 minutes in El Salvador they looked like it.

Also I notice you mix up the sides on a footy pitch fuzzx.  Camara plays on the right side and JGL plays on the left.

Best of luck to Montreal.  Let's hope they beat NYRB not just for the sake of Canada but for the sake of football.

The Impact missed a big opportunity to bury New York.  I think a technical attacking player like Issey would have helped in a match like that.. what's the deal? He looked good on the weekend when he came on vs New England.  

I thought JGL played well, looked composed in midfield and showed off some good technique.  It would be nice if he could spend a year as a key player in Ottawa next year on loan.  I think he is above USL Pro level.  

Although I like Montreal's chances with the attitude NY is displaying.. for their manager to say they're in the driver's seat is looking past the away match in El Salvador.  This will be the first time for many NYRB players playing in Central America and they are in for a rude awakening especially since their depth has been cut even more with the suspension of Lade.. I thought their reserves were very poor and a better team would have buried them. 

Archived