2014-2015 CCL Group Stage

Very frustrating 2nd half. Klopas clearly knew exactly what he was doing. Why did he chose to play so conservatively despite the clear opportunity? I think he had even less confidence in the back line than the fans do, and that's saying something.

It'll mostly come down to the game in NY next month, but i'll reserve judgment till next wednesday. NY is going to El Salvador and they are almost certainly sending a similar lineup to the one they sent to Montreal. Central american teams have a tendency to surprise, so I won't set my expectations till after.

woo woo.

This is doubly awesome, since NY will no longer take their last game seriously. They have a playoff chase to focus on, and will almost certainly play a reserve lineup.

In contrast Montreal will go in determined to both win and run up the score, because multiple teams are tied on points, and if we want a better seeding position for the quarter finals we need to do well.

Glad to see that moron Petke shut up before he even got to New York.  Idiotic to say they were in the driver's seat, especially when even a win at home with their reserves against Montreal was a tough ask.

This CCL is actually very interesting so far.. of the 4 teams in the QF so far they are from Mexico, US, Canada and Costa Rica nice to see variety.

Also, exciting for us Canadian fans is that 4 of the 8 QF teams will feature at least one Canadian (assuming Portland will make it).

Portland (Johnson), DC (Porter, Attakora, Opare), Montreal and Herediano (Aleman)

• 4 weeks later...

Also, exciting for us Canadian fans is that 4 of the 8 QF teams will feature at least one Canadian (assuming Portland will make it).

Portland (Johnson), DC (Porter, Attakora, Opare), Montreal and Herediano (Aleman)

Now Johnson is out and Aleman hasn't had a sniff of playing time for Herediano. So we are counting on you Montreal to keep Canada represented!

With Saprissa beating Sporting KC today, Costa Rica Premier League has made a case for themselves to be considered on the same page as MLS and Liga MX.  Of course, it's possible they treat the CONCACAF Champions League with more respect and don't play anything but their top lines, something MLS and Liga MX teams don't necessarily always do, depending on what is going on in their regular seasons...but still.

8 quarterfinalists.

1 - MLS USA

1 - MLS Canada

3 - Costa Rica Premier League

1 - Liga Nacional of Honduras

2 - Liga MX

So Costa Rica actually have the most remaining representation, with all three of their teams topping their groups, knocking out Sporting KC, Cruz Azul, and Club Leon in the process.  

Costa Rican football is currently pretty bloody legit in an era where MLS is now basically a fully established league.

You know, sometimes I really wish UEFA Champions league was the world champions league so we could truly compare...if teams from Azerbaijan and Bulgaria can get wins in the Europa and the Champions league respectively...who's to say Club America, for example, couldn't make a legit run into the knockout rounds, like Galatasaray does?  Particularly since they'd also be receiving the money that goes with European football...

Fun to imagine, practically impossible logistically...

Can't wait for the CONCACAF knockout rounds...should be fun

• 2 weeks later...
You know, sometimes I really wish UEFA Champions league was the world champions league so we could truly compare...if teams from Azerbaijan and Bulgaria can get wins in the Europa and the Champions league respectively...who's to say Club America, for example, couldn't make a legit run into the knockout rounds, like Galatasaray does?  Particularly since they'd also be receiving the money that goes with European football...

Always liked the idea of a "FIFA Champions League" with 64 teams, otherwise run similarly to the existing UCL.

In each group you'd have 2 European teams and the remaining 32 would be drawn proportionally from the remaining confederations.  Imagine Toronto in a group with Guangzhou, Ludogorets and Real Madrid.

On another note, Costa Rican footy is definitely on the up, with the World Cup performance and now the women qualifying for WWC2015 here.

PS will Montreal play the 2nd leg at Olympique?  At least there's less chance of a Santos-Laguna style collapse with the 2nd leg in Mtrl, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't matter where that 2nd leg is played, probably best if it's outside in the snow as otherwise Pachuca is going to rip the Impact a new one. When I saw that MTL drew Pachuca I thought, of all the teams that made it not from Mex or MLS, they had to draw a Mex side. Shitty luck.

Archived