New Canadians abroad

Blackdude

• 3 months later...

Jordyn Huitema signs a four year deal at PSG women, great move for her and, from what I've read on Canadian sites, a deliberate choice to play pro from high school instead of going to US college. 

https://www.psg.fr/equipes/football-feminin/content/jordyn-huitema-sengage-pour-quatre-saisons-avec-le-paris-saint-germain

PSG have been just behind Lyon these last few seasons, they are probably a top 8 for sure in Europe and just have Olympique, who play their 4th Champions final in a row tomorrow, vs. my Barça, in front of them. Going to be a very competitive environment for her and her development will be great.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

There seems to be a mass exodus of top talent from the NWSL to the English WSL.  That has to be disconcerting for the NWSL execs.  Is it money, level of competition, training, respect,...?  It has to be something serious to convince so many players to move across the ocean.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/5/2020 at 12:51 PM, _Vic_ said:

Sura Yekka. Very interesting move, I hope she waits a year or two before filing any one time switches... a decent year in Germany and a move to a stronger club would have her right back in the national team picture one would think. Chapman might be on her last legs as an elite defender for us on that left side. After Chapman its honestly pretty open. 

• 4 weeks later...

Which Canadians improved their national team stock. Sportsnet article covers both men and women but women tidbits are of more interest given the paucity of coverage and discussion for them.

Fleming: handed a huge opportunity in the 3-0 victory over Benfica in the Champions League on Dec. 15. She completed 34 of 38 passes, two dribbles, five interceptions and six recoveries.

Evelyne Viens: on fire would be an understatement. The 23-year-old striker is averaging nearly a goal per 90 minutes with mid-table Paris this season. Viens is averaging 0.96 goals per 90 minutes while registering 0.76 expected goals (xG) per 90. 

Jordyn Huitema: finished 2020 with a pair of goals in the Champions League round of 32 against Polish side Gornik Leczna to help Paris Saint-Germain reach the last 16. Huitema has excelled in a complete forward role, having registered 0.69 xG and 0.23 expected assists (xA) per 90 in all competitions this season. 

Alex Lamontagne: started off the season with four goals in Rodez's 5-2 win over Thonon Evian in September, but there's no footage of her campaign thus far so it's difficult to determine how she's performing in the French second division.

Sura Yekka: meanwhile, has been deployed in four different positions with Duisberg this season. She seems to be best utilized as a right-back at the Bundesliga level. Only two players have been involved in more defensive duels per 90 than Yekka (12.08) and she's among the league leaders in interceptions. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/canadians-abroad-mailbag-boosted-national-stock/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PSG takes down Lyon and goes into the Champions League semis. After trading early goals an own goal from Lyon, Renard, put Paris up around the hour mark. Endler made an incredible save late to keep PSG one up.

Both Buchanan and Lawrence played 90, Huitema came on m. 82 and all I saw on extended highlights was her drawing fouls deep to help wind it down. 3 Canadians playing a quarter final of CL. I wonder with all this buzz about Huitema not having the minutes to justify taking her to Tokyo (or is it just OneSoccer, don't know?), whether anyone wants to ask if you can ignore a player for a CL semi-finalist.

PSG play Barça, but so far they have not allowed public in CL matches, though we can go for league. So not sure if I can go. In any case, with Lyon out all I can think is this has to be Barça's year to win the trophy, Canadians notwithstanding.

Edit: see the 2nd leg is scheduled for May 2, a Sunday, at noon. In any case, as they play in the 2nd stadium and they allow only 30% at best it would likely mean putting in my name and there being a draw for tickets.

28 minutes ago, red card said:

Lawrence & Buchanan make last minute tackles but both in the end led to goals. Lawrence also creating a couple of opportunities. 

Kyle has really improved from her cheerleading ways covering u17 for TSN.

I can't see those highlights, same as I can't watch OneSoccer on twitter. I saw a decent replay but not an official one, so did not get some details. 

Reading on the Barça site that 1st leg is next weekend, and they may schedule the return leg for May 1, and that they will indeed let public in, but only 1000 in a stadium with a capacity for 6000. In any case, will be first come first serve, or lottery, to get tickets. Final is in Gothenburg May 16.

For anyone interested, the match was played at a very high level, with intensity, physicality, and great competitive rivalry. Final score was a draw, 1-1, which Barça will be happy with. 

Lawrence was solid as right back, going forward, invading the midfield space and into the centre quite often. Played 90. She held the Barça attack mostly, up against Lieke Martens, who is a bit off form. Their left side had more problems with Graham Hansen who is at a very high level this year. Only saw Huitema in the stands, celebrating their goal, off a header. They were very judicious about their changes, seemed to not want to risk getting scored on with a 2nd, not sure if Jordyn warmed up or not.

I think Barça had the edge,  in possession and in chances, and there were two missed hand balls in the PSG box, one quite blatant by Paredes (there is no VAR in women's CL). Tactically as well. But it was not an exagerrated advantage and I'd say the draw was fair enough.

The Czech ref struggled. She also blew a PK on a defenders trip on a Barca forward in the Paris box in the first half. A lot of confusing calls and non-calls, and questionable cards like Mapi León's. I think she was put in over her head and whoever assigned her should have to answer for it.

I know Oshoala just came on the field and back from injury but I still can't believe she missed that. Even if she tried ten times I wonder is she could get the ball through her legs and out the back like that again.

You nailed the wingers. Martens was a hot mess and Hansen just destroyed anyone and everyone blue on the right side the entire game.

Endler was quality as usual, the second time in as many games she's bailed her side out.