Calgary back in PDL in 2015

Stuart

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to drift in and out of here, so sorry for the lateness of my reply.

The Storm was a major uniting force for Calgary soccer fans because they drew from a number of clubs, both in Calgary and Edmonton, and were a truly Albertan team. They drew fans from a wide spectrum.

They only ran afoul of the clubs with the idea of an academy that would have pulled away their best players.

The AMSL weren't fans because they lost their best players to the Storm.

In their PDL entity, the Storm were a major success.

Their mistake was jumping to the A-League too early.

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I saw on the club's website that they eventually want to play in MLS. Is the current ownership group loaded or is this something that would require a lot more investors?

That MLS talk is quite ridiculous when it comes down to it.  There is no one owner that is loaded.  I think they think there may be an opportunity to partner with a rich owner one day.   But with what they have now, I'd even say their dream of USL Pro is a bit much.  They have not been able to get significant buy in from the public for the PDL team.  I guess we will see what their longer term plan is, but MLS is not realistic unless a bunch of things happen in the far future.

Jason

That MLS talk is quite ridiculous when it comes down to it.  There is no one owner that is loaded.  I think they think there may be an opportunity to partner with a rich owner one day.   But with what they have now, I'd even say their dream of USL Pro is a bit much.  They have not been able to get significant buy in from the public for the PDL team.  I guess we will see what their longer term plan is, but MLS is not realistic unless a bunch of things happen in the far future.

Jason

The foothills branding angle is hurting them IMHO. Even without that issue, I feel any Canadian pro team needs a sugar daddy to make it.

The foothills branding angle is hurting them IMHO. Even without that issue, I feel any Canadian pro team needs a sugar daddy to make it.

What you need is someone who can afford to lose money and is also satisfied if they never make money.  I've tried to run the numbers as I understand them, and if you work hard and things go well, you could make a profit at the PDL level, it probably isn't enough to make it worth the effort.  And it's not like the franchise values are growing like they are in other sports and you can count on that to be the big payoff down the road.   

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting stuff.  First part of interview

ON THE PITCH

1) If Tommy brings in an import, on his radar for next year's recruitment will be a clinical finisher.  But he doesn't plan to bring in a lot of foreign talent, he wants to keep the PDL team as homegrown as possible.

2) Too many draws, mostly as a lack of clinical finishing.  Too many cagey matches, where they were in the lead and lost it, where if they killed off a team with a second goal, better conditioning, or experience that knows how to see out a lead, etc...

3) They were ambitious in that they played the most youngest players in the conference, and saw the most improvement in the end after a lot of tinkering with formations.

4) Question was asked about how you create "creativity".  Tommy responded with academy development.  Process in environment, and sometimes it's just a special player being special.  When you have a special player you need less "don't", "can't" and "no" and more just guidance.  (which is a point I've been making that has definitely been lacking in Canadian coaching, too much yelling "pass" from the sideline.  As Kerr said sometimes you beat the creativity out of players that way. So sometimes, as Wheeldon responded, we need a mentality of "own the ball before you even pass" which is how you can learn to create. 

I think this is a brilliant point.  Good on you Wheeldon for this one, as is pointed out in the interview, it's allowed in hockey to be special.  Why not soccer?  Coaching by GPS vs coaching by Playstation, as Tommy put it.  

5) Pointed out Darius Ramsey immediately as a player that grew in leaps and bounds. Gave him 10/10 in proper attitude.  Also Adekugbe props for being top scorer, and MLS prospect.

6) Doesn't mind taking guys like Melvin (OUR KEEPER IS A GIANT NANANA NA) on loan because the PDL environment can be good for them because it doesn't mess up NCAA eligibility.

OFF THE PITCH

1) Next year.  Get engaged in the community more, in corporate community more, and grow the soccer identity in Calgary a bit. 

2) Asked if supporters actually marched to games.  And he said that yes they did.  Um...we didn't really...actually...but he does give him props, and said we march from Pazzers, but that wasn't always the case.  A couple times it did happen though.  Said we were passionate about growing Canadian soccer and that was our agenda and it clearly showed through. 

3) Corporate sponsorship...seemed like guys were on the right track, trying it out in terms of sponsorship before getting really behind it.  Hints that other groups will be wanting to come on board.  We'll see I guess?  He got asked about potential big benefactors that could give an influx of cash, and Wheeldon said "Yeah there will be, and we've talked about this is the start, but you know, first off, run year one, and not make any losses, and we've achieved that".  Said there were a lot of inquiries .  Talks with Calgary Tourism Board and Flames foundation.  Lots of sponsors taking a wait and see attitude. 

4) What's next?  Tommy is not anti NASL, even though he feels profiled that way.  But he likes USL to MLS route is because in England he always grew in a pathway.  PDL to USL to MLS is the pathway.  Also 3-4 million for NASL franchise vs $750k for USL.  He admits that MLS is looking more at America teams in you believe the media, but that Calgary is growing by leaps and bounds, and maybe a new shared stadium with Stamps, who's to say?  Tommy doesn't sound committal here just more like "who knows what could happen" type vibe at this part of interview.

5) Likes the Voyageurs Cup as a platform to lead to more.  (I'm guesing the recent announcement for 2017 would be viewed in his mind as a good thing, as in the interview Kerr immediately mentioned the FA Cup, and they start talking about great David and Goliath battles)  Submitted their case for them being allowed in Vs Cup, wanting to help Canadian soccer game grow.  They want to be involved, and he says if you talk to the other PDL franchises they are of the same ilk.  This solves the argument on the boards about whether PDL teams would even want to be involved financially due to travel costs.  According to Wheeldon, yes they do.

6) They engaged with an English Premier Club and they are trying to get a team to play during year 2, perhaps during the Stampede.  Even tried for this year but couldn't get it done in the timeframe.  The identity of the clubs is under wraps.  He's talked to clubs like Man City, Everton, Stoke, Chelsea.  The reason these clubs are interested in coming is spreading their brand in big markets.

PART THREE WRAP UP RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS

1) Wheeldon going to Mexico with U-17 program.  (Canada.  With Wheeldon involved I'd assume he'd be promoting not just MLS Academy players, but advocating his own, and hopefully other youth academies throughout Canada outside of MLS). 

2) Hosting of World Cup seemed favorable for Canada, and was excellent event for country.  One goal away and a mistake away from semifinals, and an even bigger success, to put it in perspective, according to Tommy.  Kerr said the big crowds had to send a message to the world in terms of Canada coming out and supporting.  Wheeldon in term gave props to Vancouver and Toronto for always having decent crowds.

3) FIFA leadership.  Unfortunately brings light to problems in soccer.  Bad stuff in terms of governing body, time for reform hopefully, with guys like Platini.  Wants to see a total shakeup.  Kerr points out that it's bad light on governing body but the game is still strong and will remain strong worldwide, Tommy agrees that the game will always be watched, always be rolling.

4) They talk a bit about the women's league, and how Foothills is going to contribute and create a good program for them as well.

5) What's next?  Tommy goes measured approach and talks about making playoffs in 2016.  Make it sustainable in Calgary.  Over the next three years they want to compete in this conference, and then apply USL saying "Look, we are ready", and then from there start having eyes on MLS.

"What's next?  Tommy is not anti NASL, even though he feels profiled that way.  But he likes USL to MLS route is because in England he always grew in a pathway.  PDL to USL to MLS is the pathway."

Except in fact its not the pathway. Having the 100 million expansion fee for MLS what you need regardless of having a club in D4 PDL, D3 USL, or D2 NASL or not in any league at all.

Good to know he's possibly not closed the door on NASL completely.

Yeah NASL to MLS has been a pretty proven pathway too if we are being real.  Although he is talking about MLS a bit, you can tell his interest is more in USL at the moment because of the lower expansion fee.  He was talking a couple years down the road for it as well. 

Of course, this is one point from quite a long interview...there's some other good stuff in here too.

I found it interesting the he's been petitioning already to be a part of the Vs Cup, for example

Yeah NASL to MLS has been a pretty proven pathway too if we are being real.  Although he is talking about MLS a bit, you can tell his interest is more in USL at the moment because of the lower expansion fee.  He was talking a couple years down the road for it as well. 

Of course, this is one point from quite a long interview...there's some other good stuff in here too.

I found it interesting the he's been petitioning already to be a part of the Vs Cup, for example

V-Cup makes sense.  It would cost $, but not a huge amount.  And they would get meaningful games vs a NASL or even a MLS opponent, which would be easier to market than say the Puget Sound Gunners.

Jason

• 4 weeks later...

Well, in my opinion the early concept renderings have me very disappointed from a soccer viewpoint. The arena looks fantastic, but jamming a football / soccer pitch into a fieldhouse is just clunky. Anyone who saw the Brazil / Spain WWC match in Olympic Stadium in front of 10k people should expect more of the same type of atmosphere if this thing gets built. DO NOT WANT.

• 3 months later...

Tommy Wheeldon was on Red Card with Anthony Totera and discussed Calgary Foothills' aspirations. Among the things discussed were the club's aspirations to move up to USL and then MLS  over time (it was much more measured than what is out there in the media), how Tommy agrees there should be a Canadian domestic league, how Calgary Foothills has an open door policy and is willing to share their methods with any club in the city, discussions on high performance leagues in Alberta, etc.

Great interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9f2HoTzQww 

• 1 month later...

Here's a little update on the facility being built by Calgary Foothills (although I don't think shovels are in the ground just yet). Of note, this facility will be 100% privately funded, which I think can gain them some extra fans in the midst of a struggle over a massive amount of public funds requested by the Flames for a new arena during a terrible economic time in Calgary.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=788589

On 2016-01-15 at 11:55 AM, tarnado1555362291 said:

Interesting that he mentioned NASL as an option. That's the first time I've heard Wheeldon talk anything other than USL.

Good to hear Wheeldon mention NASL as a possibility finally, they'd be a natural rival for the Eddies and makes more sense IMO if they're going to make a jump up.

Archived