Calgary back in PDL in 2015

Stuart

Yup, Celtic Power was announced as the shirt sponsor during the friendly against Edmonton.

At least from my understanding the game is at 1:30 pm. That's when I'm planning to have the Foot Soldiers at the game anyways, and if we're a half hour early, more time in the beer gardens I guess. Hopefully you get some clarification.

I did receive a response via Twitter last night.  The kick off on Sunday is 1:30pm.

Jason

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, I am starting a new Calgary soccer website.  It will be more focused on the history of Calgary soccer, but I will also be commenting from time to time about what's going on with Foothills PDL this season, and the future of soccer in Calgary.  My first blog post is up now at http://yycsoccer.blogspot.ca/ and I am on Twitter at http://twitter.com/YYCSoccer2015 where I'll post updates and links to Calgary soccer articles in the media.  The website, when ready in a few weeks, will be yycsoccer.com.

Jason

Puget Sound released a statement re: the Calgary game including their 16 player travelling roster.  They have only trained together for a week, and will be missing some key players due to visa issues.

http://pugetsoundgunnersfc.com/gunners-fc-prepares-for-first-match-at-calgary/

Foothills should have a full complement of players, have been training for much longer, and will have home field advantage.  Seems like a lot of advantages for the local club in their debut.

Jason

LOL, when the Highlanders made the playoffs we were informed (unofficially) that we could not host any playoffs because teams from regions that did not cross the border would not be able to attend due to lack of passports.

Take advantage and crush the self-centered yanks.

Hi Guys. Its great to see pro footie back in Calgary. I am thinking about driving up for Sundays game. Can anyone tell me how much a game day ticket is?

I wouldn't mind joining the supporters section. Are ticket prices all the same for each section?

The website doesn't have the info for some reason.

Thanks!

Hi Guys. Its great to see pro footie back in Calgary. I am thinking about driving up for Sundays game. Can anyone tell me how much a game day ticket is?

I wouldn't mind joining the supporters section. Are ticket prices all the same for each section?

The website doesn't have the info for some reason.

Thanks!

Ticket is $15 for an adult.  I think I saw on Twitter they will only take cash.  Seats are general admission so you will just need to find the supporters and join them.  They shouldn't be hard to find.

Jason 

Hey Joe Keeper, appreciate the commitment. Just as a heads up, there really is no supporters section at Hellard yet. The club has said they want us to have our own dedicated section, but when I pressed them for where that will be, they never replied. So, we will probably be near the beer gardens depending on where that is located.

I'll make sure to tweet out where we are at the day of so that those who want to join can.

Do you have the Twitter handle for the foot soldiers?

OR DM me about the Foot Soldiers scarves.  As for jerseys and such, as far as I know they won't be ready yet, but we were told that Strikers soccer will be handling the foothills FC merchandise.

Also, it is definitely frustrating to see the club manipulate certain details about what their product is. I know why they are doing it, they have to sell soccer to the casual fan, and quite frankly saying "come watch these amateurs" isn't going to get butts in seats, but still frustrating for those of us who know what their setup is really about.

That being said, I have decided to stop caring about this because I don't see anyone else taking a stab at the Calgary soccer scene, and quite frankly that trumps any details being misrepresented

Also, it is definitely frustrating to see the club manipulate certain details about what their product is. I know why they are doing it, they have to sell soccer to the casual fan, and quite frankly saying "come watch these amateurs" isn't going to get butts in seats, but still frustrating for those of us who know what their setup is really about.

That being said, I have decided to stop caring about this because I don't see anyone else taking a stab at the Calgary soccer scene, and quite frankly that trumps any details being misrepresented

Yes, it's what we've got for now and the foreseeable future.  On that basis, I would be willing to give most anyone a try.  There are concerns, but I'm willing to go with it for now.  That being said, I will not commit permanent blind devotion to the club.  

I am starting to get a bit excited about tomorrow. 

Jason

I'm already believing in the roster by the way.  There's no reason this roster can't rise up to the challenge and compete at this tier.

As for the second/third tier stuff...to be honest judging by say, the results of the US Open Cup, some would argue there that historically, there hasn't been a huge discrepancy skill wise between USL-Pro and NASL.  (I would NOT be one of those people...I think NASL is 2nd tier, and especially now that USL is mainly a reserve league, it certainly resembles 3rd tier even more.)

But either way, for those that WOULD argue that point, NASL and USL-Pro would be tied for 2nd, and USL-PDL would be a tier below that.  For ME, until USL gains sanctioning as a 2nd tier, that's the only point in the conversation that matters.

As for professional, well that's pretty loose.  Pro-Am at best, and that's only because they have player-coaches.  

But honestly, it doesn't work me up at all.  Could care less, call it what you want.  He could say it's just below the English Premiership, with world class players, I'd roll my eyes, but I'd still come and support the CLUB and the PLAYERS that are by majority, good Canadian kids.  It's football in a city I can feasibly watch it in.  That's all I really care about, let's rock it out.

Archived