Calgary back in PDL in 2015

Stuart

I'm already believing in the roster by the way.  There's no reason this roster can't rise up to the challenge and compete at this tier.

They better be able to compete against a club which has only practiced together for a week, is missing several key players, and is only bringing 16 to the match.  If they get their doors blown off, it will be an ominous sign.  

Jason

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a timeline on when they want to try to jump to usl pro by?

I think 5 years has been mentioned.  They are careful to always mention there is no rush.  It's a huge increased financial commitment, so I think quite a bit will have to fall in place for it to happen.  

I'm not certain on this, but I would think a USL club would have an annual budget of perhaps $1 million, which is much more than the PDL clubs at $150,000 (+$50K franchise fee).  Can't remember the USL franchise fee, but it's a lot more.  Travel would be expensive - pretty much all flights unless you do the bus to Seattle, Vancouver and Portland.  

They would need a lot of corporate sponsors, a good season ticket base, and someone to help put up some of the $.  

Jason

They better be able to compete against a club which has only practiced together for a week, is missing several key players, and is only bringing 16 to the match.  If they get their doors blown off, it will be an ominous sign.  

Jason

I know right?  Strategically placing our team in Canada so that they can't bring all their players WAS part of the year-long gameplan, all along, though, you know.

Just to further along the discussion about USL vs NASL

I think it should be pointed out that under the original agreement, for NASL to maintain its 2nd division status, it needs to have 12 teams, with at least 9 teams being from the US.  Also, there must be teams playing in three different time zones (no problem there)

Virginia and OKC are having organization difficulties that may prevent them from kicking off in 2016.  And then, Minnesota and Atlanta are doing what exactly?  So yeah take from that what you will.  

Okay so the very first attendance is in.  Was 770 against Puget Sound.

Yep, noticed that.  I am writing up my thoughts of the first game and will post probably tonight.

If they can get more than that on a Tuesday night that will be real progress.

Jason

For PDL in general it is not bad. Not crazy big like the Highlanders got but we are in a more isolated market with fewer "big" sports teams.

The goal attendance this year is 1000 according to the club.  Very little competition at this time of year in Calgary.  Flames and Hitmen are over, Stampeders aren't in training camp, no baseball here.  Only Roughnecks lacrosse playoffs left - they will draw 10,000+ this weekend I would expect.

Jason

I emailed the gameday co-ordinator about that, and to provide feedback on a few other things this morning (beer gardens fence, water for sale in beer gardens). Haven't heard back. I have a feeling have the daughter of the VP as your gameday co-ordinator is not going to get great results...

Jason, no idea. She initially reached out to me back in March saying she works for Foothills. Have a feeling it's not dedicated to PDL since that is just a small portion of what they do.

Brad, there are only two more weekend games; June 21 and June 28. Either should be good to be honest.

Archived