Calgary back in PDL in 2015

Stuart

From what I've been told by ppl in the various provincial associations and clubs, there would only be 1 or 2 teams from both Calgary and Edmonton in the league, at least at the start with perhaps one for all of southern SK (in Regina) and one for northern (in S'toon). Right now the players in AB that would all play together on those teams are scattered across multiple clubs and districts and the same is true in SK. A lot of the players are big fish in little ponds. Therefore the establishment of the PHPL would be in part to raise the level of play and competition. These are the words of ppl we've talked to in the know not our own.

To paraphrase Wheeldon, the clubs don't want to lose their big fish because it reduces their chance at provincial success, club nationals, etc. In other words, trophies are valued over development as seems to be so often the case in other areas. Additionally, clubs don't want to 'lose' their players to other opportunities and are fighting the change.

Additionally, there's actually a lot of talent in SK. But due to population and geography, individual clubs have difficulty putting together strong teams. Having only one or two PHPL teams would concentrate that talent and you might be surprised how competitive they would be.

Alberta loves their fiefdoms. I can't think of a single big progressive club like foothills in Edmonton where I live.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alberta loves their fiefdoms. I can't think of a single big progressive club like foothills in Edmonton where I live.

From what Jeff Paulus was saying to us a few weeks ago, some of the more progressive and inclusive things FCE is trying are gaining some reaction with other clubs in Edmonton. Otoh I have nothing else to go on but his word.

I wouldn't have a problem with clubs holding onto their players as long as there were providing viable options for them to continue to develop.  Most of these clubs don't have the "top of the pyramid" option available.  

This is also a concern re: support for the Calgary PDL club.  Will members of rival clubs want to cheer on a Foothills club, even if it is the highest level in town?  Will any of the other clubs help promote/support the PDL effort?  I think Foothills thinks they have enough of a base among their members to provide support even without the other clubs.  But while that might be true, I ultimately want to see a team on the pitch that all of Calgary wants to support.  While Foothills PDL may succeed overall, I think it may be almost impossible to get broad-based support no matter how hard they try.

I've been pretty clear on here that the vibe at last year's exhibition games was very much Foothills-centric.  I'd say that 80-90% of the crowd were members of Foothills.  I felt like I was at a party where everyone knew everyone except I knew nobody.  While I was never treated poorly in any way (I remember being offered free coffee in the stands by a soccer mom), I just felt out of place.  I hope that changes this year.  In Twitter conversations with Tommy Wheeldon Jr., he has said last year was a test and they have learned.  I am looking forward to see how it goes.

Jason

I wouldn't have a problem with clubs holding onto their players as long as there were providing viable options for them to continue to develop.  Most of these clubs don't have the "top of the pyramid" option available.  

This is also a concern re: support for the Calgary PDL club.  Will members of rival clubs want to cheer on a Foothills club, even if it is the highest level in town?  Will any of the other clubs help promote/support the PDL effort?  I think Foothills thinks they have enough of a base among their members to provide support even without the other clubs.  But while that might be true, I ultimately want to see a team on the pitch that all of Calgary wants to support.  While Foothills PDL may succeed overall, I think it may be almost impossible to get broad-based support no matter how hard they try.

I've been pretty clear on here that the vibe at last year's exhibition games was very much Foothills-centric.  I'd say that 80-90% of the crowd were members of Foothills.  I felt like I was at a party where everyone knew everyone except I knew nobody.  While I was never treated poorly in any way (I remember being offered free coffee in the stands by a soccer mom), I just felt out of place.  I hope that changes this year.  In Twitter conversations with Tommy Wheeldon Jr., he has said last year was a test and they have learned.  I am looking forward to see how it goes.

Jason

I agree it's a concern.

I was astounded when I moved to Alberta 2 years ago to find that there was no Provincial high performance league ie 4 Edmonton and 4 Calgary clubs playing a table schedule. Tommy and Jeff Paulus from FCE have their hands full getting other clubs to see the big picture about improving the standard of play in this Province.

Hell, I get exasperated when I think about all of the boarded indoor astro turf fields in Edmonton. What is this, the early 90s?

I agree it's a concern.

I was astounded when I moved to Alberta 2 years ago to find that there was no Provincial high performance league ie 4 Edmonton and 4 Calgary clubs playing a table schedule. Tommy and Jeff Paulus from FCE have their hands full getting other clubs to see the big picture about improving the standard of play in this Province.

Hell, I get exasperated when I think about all of the boarded indoor astro turf fields in Edmonton. What is this, the early 90s?

Do I have this right that there is no full-field indoor soccer facility in Alberta? I've heard that numerous times but haven't yet checked if what I'm hearing is correct.

Apologies for the tangent.

Do I have this right that there is no full-field indoor soccer facility in Alberta? I've heard that numerous times but haven't yet checked if what I'm hearing is correct.

I don't know of one.  The fieldhouse at Commonwealth Stadium is 70 yards x 70 yards.  

Jason

You are correct. Sad but true. Saskatoon has one but neither Calgary nor Edmonton do. The hardshell dome in Calgary is big enough but it has 4 arenas in it. Take those out and use drop down nets to separate the kids games and it would work. 

You are correct. Sad but true. Saskatoon has one but neither Calgary nor Edmonton do. The hardshell dome in Calgary is big enough but it has 4 arenas in it. Take those out and use drop down nets to separate the kids games and it would work.

Yes very sad. I feel bad for AB.

In addition to the S'toon facility there is a full field in Regina, a quarter field in Regina, a quarter field in Moose Jaw, and at least one other ( although I forget where). We are very lucky. I play old man's league 10 months a year.

Maybe Foothills will build one.

I should have brought this up to you before the podcast to talk about Rob, but yes, they ARE planning on building one, in Calgary far south...if you guys are interested I can hunt down a quote or something, but we even talked about it at the first supporters meeting with some of the coaching staff.

One month until the first game, really looking forward to seeing the type of turnout this club gets. Any other Calgary V's interested in joining the Foot Soldiers?

I am interested but likely as more of an associate member.  Going to be at the first match with the kids and will miss a couple others for work.  But I'll be there and likely try to sit with you guys when conditions permit.

Jason

Foothills just announced it is playing a friendly against FC Edmonton (a mix of first teamers and youth players apparently) on Saturday afternoon but it is restricted to season ticket holders only.  I am working this Saturday afternoon so I could not go, but I'm not going to be a season ticket holder this year anyway.  I would like to be, but I can't make a Wed and Thurs evening match, so at $75 for a 6 game season ticket I think it's best for me to buy at $15 per game.

Anyone planning on going?  Look forward to hearing an update.  On the same topic, is this something that is often done - give a friendly only to the season ticket holders?  It provides some extra value I guess, but it might be one of the higher profile friendlies they have this year, and you would think they'd want the chance to expose the product to as many people as they can.

Jason

I'm going to the game, I believe Stuart is as well.

Personally, I don't like limiting the game to season ticket holders. And if you're labelling it a "season ticket holder appreciation" game then maybe give the season ticket holders more than 5 days notice. But, club's decision not mine.

It looks like the club will let FC Edmonton fans into the game (presuming they show a recent ticket). ESG, come on down.

For free?  So they will let in someone who can produce a FCE ticket but not a prospecitve Foothills fans unless they commit to a season ticket?  Seems like odd logic to me.

I suspect few FCE ticketholders will take advantage of it, but you never know.  While they are at it,they could probably open it up to recent TFC, Whitecaps and Impact ticketholders as well.

Jason

Stuart and I were able to get out to the game and test out the home pub before the match. The best way to describe the game was COLD. Major sympathy on my end towards the ESG as they had similar conditions in their home opener after that experience. Other Foot Soldiers were flying back from Mexico or stuck in Medicine Hat.

Foothills were able to hang with FC Edmonton in the first half, but in the second half Edmonton ran them ragged. You could see a real difference in the fitness of full time professionals vs semi-pros.

I'm not familiar with the team yet, but Kieran Hay played the full 90 at LB. Rodriguez-Lemos was at CB and was probably the best player on the pitch by what I saw. I believe Tyrin Hutchins played part of the game at CB.

Still no updates from what I can see.  I guess we will see what they announce in the next couple of days.

What was the approx attendance to the season ticket holders game vs Edmonton?

Jason

Archived