Calgary back in PDL in 2015

Stuart

FANTASTIC NEWS!!

Don't know where they'll play but it looks like they'll play some exhibition games this season and start in the PDL next season. They're being created by the tremendous "CALGARY FOOTHILLS SOCCER CLUB" so I'm guessing they'll be wearing white with green hoops and will hopefully call themselves CFFC.

Can't wait!! Way to go Tommy Wheeldon Jr. and thankyou!!

Here's a link: http://www.calgaryfoothillssoccer.com/files/pdl_press_release_poster_-_revised.pdf

More info when I get it.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How would they receive CSA sanction? Would it be as a feeder team for Vancouver or Edmonton? For example, I believe the CSA were willing to sanction the Toronto Lynx move to Hamilton because they were to be part of Toronto FC development. structure

PDL is Division 4 so don't know if it'll be a problem like D3 USL Pro is.

Good for Calgary on getting a team for 2015, they're not ready for D2 NASL unfortunatly without a proper stadium - McMahon is way too big. Wonder if they'll use Glenmore or Foothills for this PDL team. Hopefully they can build a strong PDL team and organization like the Victoria Highlanders.

More info from: The11.ca

The Calgary Foothills Soccer Club’s bid for a PDL franchise will go to the Canadian Soccer Association to be voted on in March.

The club has financial backers and has informed the USL that it wants to begin play in the PDL in 2015. But, before USL can green-light a new franchise, it needs to see that the bid has been endorsed by both Alberta Soccer and the CSA. The Foothills executive expects the CSA to endorse its bid in March.

Foothills Technical Director Tommy Wheeldon Jr. says that he expects the bid to pass, as the club will offer more spots for U-23 Canadians to get minutes. He’s also aware that former FC Edmonton director of soccer has been trying to court investors, looking to get an NASL expansion franchise into Calgary. But, Wheeldon believes that the USL offers a better path.

“Right now, I believe that USL-PRO is the better path, it opens up a lot of avenues because of their affiliation with MLS.”

And, while PDL is a level below that of USL-PRO, it would be a coup for USL to get a foothold in Calgary ahead of NASL.

Foothills will already be holding open tryouts for the PDL side before the CSA votes on their motion. On February 21 and 22, the club will host the trials, and then will hold an invite-only tryout in the first week of April. Wheeldon says the plan is to have the club play a series of friendlies in 2014, as it prepares for its inaugural PDL campaign. Foothills is hoping to line up friendlies against the Sounders and Whitecaps’ PDL sides, as well as games against FC Edmonton’s reserves.

It’s a similar strategy as was employed by FC Edmonton when it came into NASL. It spent a season playing friendlies ahead of making its debut in North America’s second division.

It's a start I guess. Not much of a reach for an establish youth club like Foothills. Hopefully, this starts a supporters group that will aspire to more because PDL clubs, typically, have not provided national team players.

I find it curious that this person would openly talk about USL Pro as the destination for Div2'ish' competition when it's at odds with what the CSA is trying to do and they haven't received approval for the PDL side. I guess his political IQ didn't pick that up.

The CSA has to formalize and organize something soon because more clubs are going to sprout up and the pathway for professionals doesn't seem any clearer.

Should this be a stepping stone to the NASL, I hope USL's non-compete clause doesn't rear it's ugly head. With no chance to move up to USL-Pro, Calgary (or at least this ownership group) would be stuck in the USL PDL.

Oklahoma City's PDL team was involved in just the same predicament when they decided to create another team to move up to D2 NASL - luckily for them they and the USL settled out of court in Sept 2013 and they are clear to move ahead with the NASL team. They're PDL team has also left that league and is joining the NPSL for 2014.

The non-compete clause wouldn't have held up in Oklahoma's courts - not sure about Alberta's laws but probably similar in that vein.

This is a step in the right direction finally. We'll see how it goes but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now for sure.

I noticed that the PDL St. Louis Lions tweeted out a rather negative reaction to the Calgary announcement - mostly regarding travel distances. Not exactly rolling out the welcome mat.

Jason

This is a step in the right direction finally. We'll see how it goes but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now for sure.

I noticed that the PDL St. Louis Lions tweeted out a rather negative reaction to the Calgary announcement - mostly regarding travel distances. Not exactly rolling out the welcome mat.

Jason

The talk on other forums has also been regarding travel distances and the fact that Calgary is further from other PDL teams by 500-600 miles with no teams nearby. Most are figuring the team won't succeed long term because of this with PDL budjets being so small and the travelling costs being a hindrance.

I'm concerned about Foothills position that the acceptance of a PDL team by the Calgary market will be an indicator for success of a higher division franchise. That logic is flawed IMO. It's like opening up a hotdog/hamburger stand to see if a market would like a McDonald's franchise.

I'm concerned about Foothills position that the acceptance of a PDL team by the Calgary market will be an indicator for success of a higher division franchise. That logic is flawed IMO. It's like opening up a hotdog/hamburger stand to see if a market would like a McDonald's franchise.

I fully agree and find that to be an apt analogy

It would have been interesting for them to have started the first Canadian NPSL team, on the same level of PDL as 4th tier, and they've created a Northwest Division this season. Problem of long distances to the nearest team would be similar with a couple of teams in Seattle, and 2 more in Oregon I think. Pro's would be a cheaper buy in and yearly fee's and with some NASL teams putting their reserve's in the league for 2014 a Calgary entry would make FC Edmonton putting their reserve team in NPSL quite likely. Would be quite a good local Derby!

The talk on other forums has also been regarding travel distances and the fact that Calgary is further from other PDL teams by 500-600 miles with no teams nearby. Most are figuring the team won't succeed long term because of this with PDL budjets being so small and the travelling costs being a hindrance.

I have to agree with that. Only thing that can help them would be another 2 PDL team in AB or say Kamloops/Kelowna(620km away). Even that would still be a challenge for the teams budget. You need a minimum of 3teams close enough together in SAME CONFERENCE(Smallest PDL Conference is 5teams Biggest is 8).

I noticed the PDL now has a Mountain Division! Looks like we'll be playing against Albuquerque Sol FC, which is new, Las Vegas Mobsters FC, which is new, BYU Cougars out of Utah, Real Colorado Foxes out of South Denver, and FC Tucson out of Arizona!

SOUNDS AWESOME can't wait!!!

I think we'll probably be in the NORTHWEST DIVISION with the Highlanders, Whitecaps U-23s, Kitsap Pumas, Lane United (where the hell is that?),Potland Timbers and Sounders U-23s, Washington Crossfire and Puget Sound Gunners. Which would be 9 teams in the division so they might move one of those teams into the Mountain Division.

I'm going to try and make it down to watch the tryouts next weekend so I'll try and find out when the exhibition season starts, where we'll be playing and who we'll be playing against. I'll let you know what I find out.

Archived