Bryan Cristante

Sam

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
God threads like this remind me that I still have heart strings that can be torn.

LOL, yeah, I'm there with you ... in spite of myself, I can't help but thinking that he falters just enough to not be cap-tied by Italy. Sadly, until he is cap-tied, I will think there is *some* hope.

Just so everyone has more information, here is Cristante's profile from zerozero with all match data listed:

http://www.zerozero.pt/jogador.php?epoca_id=143&id=234296&op=zoomstats&tpstats=club

He's a central midfielder by the way.

As you may notice he was sitting on the bench the first 11 weeks of the Serie A season and made 2 appearances in the U19 UCL against Barcelona (scored a goal both times). Then he got his first sub appearance (85') against Chievo the next week (Week 12) and then sat on the bench again until he started the last 2 weeks in league play (W18&19) and also in the Cup QF's yesterday.

• 4 months later...

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere on here, but apparently the CSA has contacted Cristante (see the end of this article on MLS.com):

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/05/22/canmnt-benito-floro-says-success-upcoming-friendlies-important-psychology-an

I still don't think we have a chance at this kid, but hell, I guess we don't have much to lose, and hopefully he's one of several players we are going after.

to me players like this are just meh.

Are they going to help us qualify for 2018? Not likely.

If we qualify for 2018 without him is he going to make the team? Not Likely.

I really think the best hope for us is MLS, NASL and developing our team. Then players like this will not be a fuss.

The core of the team that takes us back to the World Cup with be MLS starters. Not benchwarmers or starters on 3rd division teams in 2nd level countries.

We are not in a position to turn down guys who have waited for a (bigger) country to call.  The likes of Algeria, DR Congo and even the US do it.  Yes, it would be ideal if they were all loyal to us until the end, but its not realistic.

It's like saying Italy's hockey team shouldn't use players who refused call-ups until they knew Canada was out of the picture.  It's self-sabotage, all because you feel a bit spurned that someone would prefer to wait for the professional, career-making environment of a top footy nation, instead of the amateur, shambolic organization of the CSA.

The core of the team that takes us back to the World Cup with be MLS starters. Not benchwarmers or starters on 3rd division teams in 2nd level countries.

I think you are misunderstanding ... this wasn't about Aird.

Just to clairfy, I'm not saying turn him down if he wants to come, We are not in a position to do that.

I'm saying, when Canada qualifies next for the World Cup it will not be because of hoping for dual nationals to make the difference. It will be becuase of players developed, starting and starring in MLS.

I

Just so everyone has more information, here is Cristante's profile from zerozero with all match data listed:

http://www.zerozero.pt/jogador.php?epoca_id=143&id=234296&op=zoomstats&tpstats=club

He's a central midfielder by the way.

As you may notice he was sitting on the bench the first 11 weeks of the Serie A season and made 2 appearances in the U19 UCL against Barcelona (scored a goal both times). Then he got his first sub appearance (85') against Chievo the next week (Week 12) and then sat on the bench again until he started the last 2 weeks in league play (W18&19) and also in the Cup QF's yesterday.

Since i posted this back in January Cristante did not see the field again, but did ride the pine for most of Milans' games. They finished mid-table and will likely make wholesale changes to ensure this tragedy does not happen again. Probably won't be too many opportunities for Cristante next season in Milan which means a loan is likely.

As far as Canada goes his first choice is obviously Italy and the only way we get him is if he is not good enough for them. He'll choose us only once he realizes he has no shot with Italy, so probably another 6-8 years until that happens.

^ Well, the USA had added 5 or 6 Germans in a similar fashion.

We sir, are not the USA. They have made 7 consecutive WC's, we have been shutout of 4 consecutive Hex's. Besides, most of those Germans (except possibly Julian Green) were not going to make the German NT anyways.

• 7 months later...

Surprised this escaped notice around here. In September, AC Milan transferred Bryan Cristante to Benfica in Portugal. Transferring out of the country is not quite the death knell it once was for Azzurri selection. But it's not helpful, certainly. Has played 13 times so far, according to Wikipedia's Benfica 2014-15 page.

Surprised this escaped notice around here. In September, AC Milan transferred Bryan Cristante to Benfica in Portugal. Transferring out of the country is not quite the death knell it once was for Azzurri selection. But it's not helpful, certainly. Has played 13 times so far, according to Wikipedia's Benfica 2014-15 page.

So he's teammates with "Canadian" (Steven Vitoria) and former TFC player (Julio Cesar).   Good to know. 

• 7 months later...

Bryan Cristante has been called up to the Italy U-21 Squad for their upcoming U-21 Euro Qualifying games. Having troubles posting the link, but it's legit.

Italy Under-21 squad to face Slovenia

Goalkeepers: Cragno [Cagliari], Provedel [Modena], Scuffet [Como]

Defenders: Barreca [Cagliari], Calabresi [Livorno], Conti [Atalanta], Murru [Cagliari], Romagnoli [Milan], Rugani [Juventus], Somma [brescia], Venuti [brescia], Vicari [Novara]

Midfielders: Benassi [Torino], Cataldi [Lazio], Cristante [benfica], Mandragora [Pescara] Mauri [Milan], Verre [Pescara]

Strikers: Bernardeschi [Fiorentina], Boateng [bari], Cerri [Cagliari], Gazzi [Virtus Entella], Monachello [Atalanta], Verde [Frosinone]

http://www.football-italia.net/71677/di-biagio-names-azzurrini-squad

Can still use his one time switch as he hasn't represented Italy at the full NT.

Archived