Montreal Impact 2014 roster thread

Alberto7

Montreal has pieces, but also a lot of needs.

McInerney and Jackson-Hamel are reasonable pieces but need at least a B+ level piece in that rotation. Bernier and Felipe both need replacing and center back is a hot mess. Some good wingers and fullbacks along with a high draft pick, cap space, DP slots and a residency starting to hum is a good base but the first team is still a mess. 

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disappointed that Gagnon-Lapare hasn't played more since he joined the first team. Seems that Jackson-Hamel is more highly rated based on minutes played. Do you guys expect he will get more opportunities this season?

Gagnon-Lapare was signed because they needed a midfielder when Larrea got injured. They've added Duka a bit after. I'm not disappointed that he isn't playing. The goal is for him to develop to be a member of the 18 next year.

Jackson-Hamel will get time this year if Di Vaio isn't healed up or if they want to play that 4-4-2 formation.

Whatever happened to Issey? Wasn't even on the bench. Is he injured or what? I don't think he'll be too happy with the choice to sign with MLS...

He has some flash and style, but I think MLS has developed now to be a league where he is not quality enough. This shows that maybe he is not quality enough to play on the Canadian National Team and that any player getting playing time at any MLS team should be considered over him.

He has some flash and style, but I think MLS has developed now to be a league where he is not quality enough. This shows that maybe he is not quality enough to play on the Canadian National Team and that any player getting playing time at any MLS team should be considered over him.

What matches has he shown he isn't quality enough?  I've only seen him twice for Montreal and both times he was one of the better players and I watched him every match for Toronto where he was easily our best winger.  Much more effective than Jackson or Oduro since he has actual quality and skill unlike our current wingers.  Issey in terms of the quality you speak of is easily in the top half of the league, not many players have the tekkers he does on this side of the pond.

What matches has he shown he isn't quality enough?  I've only seen him twice for Montreal and both times he was one of the better players and I watched him every match for Toronto where he was easily our best winger.  Much more effective than Jackson or Oduro since he has actual quality and skill unlike our current wingers.  Issey in terms of the quality you speak of is easily in the top half of the league, not many players have the tekkers he does on this side of the pond.

I agree with this assessment. In the earlier parts of the season I have often seen him getting plaudits from Americans in the comments sections of MLS articles, so it is not just us that rate him. Even when he joined Montreal he appeared to be pretty highly rated. I wouldn't say he is in the top 25% but surely he is in the top 50%. That is just my opinion though.

Montreal fans might have more insight into what is going on. What do you guys think? 

He got a red card a couple weeks back, which is why he wasn't playing last week.

Other than that, he's really a victim of the depth chart.

Piatti is the starting LW now, and Mapp has the LW slot locked up. Romero is the goto option on the bench at that position and Tissot is able to enter at both a wing or more central Mid position.

Issey is left to pick up the scraps.

We'll get a better idea of where he's at when the team play's in El Salvador.

Wow, did Bush suck yesterday. Now what will Klopas do, put Perkins back in? I think he is way better than Bush but both will be with little confidence if he keeps changing starting keepers.

On a site-note, there were 5 Canadian players on the bench today, that must have been a record, no? In three years, Montreal have steadily increased the Canadian roster-content. I wish they had improved the roster too though..

Also Levevre played the full 90, for what it's worth. He's really been average and he's getting a bit older(25). I fear he doesn't have that much of a future. Hopefully it's Ouimette that can progress vs some outside option.

Also, remember that Pierce, Mapp, Miller and Larea are injured. I'm certain most would make the roster over some canadians.

Wow, did Bush suck yesterday. Now what will Klopas do, put Perkins back in? I think he is way better than Bush but both will be with little confidence if he keeps changing starting keepers.

What about Maxime Crépeau? Is there any chance he might get some game action this year?

I would like it if he did, but doubtful. 

We are paying Perkins a ton, and Bush is a decent backup, I don't know what it says if we drop them both at some point.

Perhaps if they make it clear that Perkins is getting dropped at the end of the season, then he might get a shot. 

But i'm not too optimistic.

What i'm afraid of is that he's gone years without meaningful minutes. it's really not good for his development. If they are not playing him they should send him somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Klopas has improved the midfield and attack, which really looks fine nowadays. Piatti looks the real deal and Romero plays better than ever before, Duka is an asset and Di Vaio, well I guess any team in the league would like to have him.

But in the back, pfff. Defense doesn't look well at all. I don't like Bush who made another mistake and doesn't look confident. You can't tell me he's better than Perkins, but I guess they want to freeze Perkins out for some reason. That Polish guy is not a decent left back but I would completely overhaul the total defense in the offseason. It's just shambles, they had that game in the pocket. 

Acording to the TVA announcers (who are very well connected) Bush is the clear no1 now.

That, plus the fact that Bush currently makes 49k while Perkins makes 250k (making him the highest paid goalie in the league) means Perkins is not in the team's plans for next year.

While they could trade him in the next week, they probably will not. Instead, they will either let his contract expire or, if its still valid, they will leave him unprotected at the expansion draft. He'll make an excellent incoming goalie for Orlando or NYCFC.

On the offchance he is not taken, they'll trade him for a pittance.

I wonder how much actual roster shuffling is needed.

To be honest the quality is already there, they are just unimaginably unfortunate.

As of next game Camara, Bernier and ouimette will be back, but we have way too many injured:

Larrea, Danso, Lopez and Soriola are basically new blood about to come in.

I hope we get to see at least some of them before the season is out. It would be ideal if we didn't need to bring Ferarri back. He's very good, but long term he's a crutch.

Worth noting that our most important game of the season is next wednesday, CCL home game vs NYRB.

I'm hoping we bench or leave most of our starters for the game in Boston on Saturday. 

We might get to see a depth heavy lineup for once, depending on if any of the injured players are ready to go.

Pretty sure Ferrari and Marco are staying home, no reason to risk them. And I don't know if it's worth playing Piatti so much. I'd bench him for Jackson or Issey.

Anyways, we'll know soon enough.

Archived