Goff: DC Cutting ties with Dero

nolando

At 36 I'd pass on Dero. We have Camilo. As much a fan of Dero as I am I have to wonder if he will hang them up or go for one more season. He keeps himself in great condition but any injury will now take 2-3 times as long to heal. At some point it's over. Here is hoping he keeps at it for one more year, has a great year and goes out in style.

I'm no real big Dero fan, but couldn't they have maybe, just maybe, waited until he left the stadium first?

http://instagram.com/p/gHST1CADrt/#

I suspect that was done intentionally as a message. As I stated in the other thread I was at both games against DC this year both at home and in DC and my impression of DeRo was not that he was finished and couldn't play but that he was unhappy and sulking and not giving 100%. At times he was dangerous and lively just like he used to be but for large stretches he just did nothing and did not seem to care. He was supposed to be the veteran leader of the team and was paid accordingly but instead was a big part of the reason for DCU's terrible season. Maybe not terribly classy on the club's part but on the other hand I kind of like the message that players who are prima donnas and don't earn their pay cheque will not be honoured and given a fond farewell.

Youngish 36 (if that's possible in this sport) but in a cap league? Ug.

Up to DeRo at this point whether he wants to keep playing in MLS or no. Still can make some decent coin I'm sure but nothing like he has been the last few seasons. For a number of personal reasons I don't think heading overseas is any sort of option (to play lower level footie) and I suspect EVERY MLS manager knows that so what options does he have?

And really, a pay cut opens up a lot of opportunities for the man in MLS. Anyone watch the Impact-Dynamo match tonight?

As for the DeRo banner coming down as he exited RFK Stadium on Wednesday, the club said most signage around the building was in the process of being removed, whether or not the player on display was returning next year. “It was not intended to slight the player,” one official said.

Conclusion: Coincidental but terrible timing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2013/10/31/its-official-united-de-rosario-part-ways/

I was waiting for you to type that he said that he got injured in Costa Rica.

DeRo still has something to offer on the field, and depending on his desire to play for a reasonable salary he could help a MLS club, or a NASL club willing to drop some dollars ( Fury anyone ? ).

I could see the Fury hiring him on if just to have him for Voyageurs Cup and then let him go back to MLS clubs when realize he has something to offer.

Archived