MNT Coach?

Addona

So, we are now about 2.5 weeks away from 2 friendlies and I have not heard anything about a new coach. Does anyone have any info on what is going on with that? Or any notion of when we might hear an announcement of some sort?

I realize that we want to get the right guy (of course!) but at this point, it seems like a stretch that the new coach will be in place for these 2 friendlies, unless someone is hired in the next week. This is worrisome to me because I'm not sure that we'll have any more friendlies until a month or so before the Gold Cup, and that will make for a very short time period for a new coach to step in if we expect any kind of success at that tournament.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't be surprised new coach is hired end of the year. There will be a lot of coaches looking for new jobs after World Cup qualifying games are over.

I sadly think this is likely the case. I've been giving more and more thought and the reality is that a lot of top coaches would look at this job and probably not want to touch it until 2015 (or even 2016) when WCQ's start in earnest. Between now and then is probably a waste of time for a good coach who figures he could get in one or two club seasons in Europe or a run for Euro 2016 (or a South American who could lineup a couple of Libertadores runs).

Frankly, the coach for these upcoming friendlies doesn't matter a lick. Even sacrificing the Gold Cup with an interim coach or some random CSA hand would be worth it if it means waiting for a decent option instead of choosing now from a much smaller pool of qualified coaches. The money saved by not hiring one for half a year or more doesn't hurt either.

Frankly, the coach for these upcoming friendlies doesn't matter a lick. Even sacrificing the Gold Cup with an interim coach or some random CSA hand would be worth it if it means waiting for a decent option instead of choosing now from a much smaller pool of qualified coaches. The money saved by not hiring one for half a year or more doesn't hurt either.

Here's one reason why I think this GC is not inconsequential: FIFA points. If the same procedure is used as the current cycle, then the rankings that will be used for the 2018 cycle are from early 2015, between Feb and April, if I remember correctly. Since we aren't playing any WCQs, then the most important matches going towards these rankings are: 1. friendlies between early 2014 and early 2015 and 2. GC 2013. If we want to get into the top 6 by early 2015, we need to do well in this upcoming GC.

Some might argue that they'd actually rather play that extra round of WCQ the way we did this cycle, but I'd disagree. Yes, it's a good time to gel as a squad, but I'd much rather be in "Pot 2" in terms of chances of qualifying for the Hex.

So, I don't think we can "sacrifice" GC 2013. And I think our chances of doing well there go up substantially if we have a full time coach by then.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=417460

TORONTO -- The search for a national soccer coach continues, with the Canadian Soccer Association still hoping to have someone in place in time for this summer's Gold Cup.

The CSA has received close to 90-100 inquiries, president Victor Montagliani says.

"It's getting hotter and hotter, as they say," he said.

The list has been narrowed down, but new calls keep coming.

Montagliani emphasized the most important thing is getting the right candidate rather than meeting a deadline.

The national men's team has been without a coach since Stephen Hart resigned last October following an 8-1 World Cup qualifying defeat in Honduras. Colin Miller served as interim coach for friendlies earlier this year.

I find it very hard to believe what Montagliani says that 90-100 inquiries have been received. That many people around the world are interested in coaching Canada? Wow! we must be famous and be offering a few million dollars contract! I don't think Mr. Montagliani has received even 10 applications. But I stand to be corrected.

I find it very hard to believe what Montagliani says that 90-100 inquiries have been received. That many people around the world are interested in coaching Canada? Wow! we must be famous and be offering a few million dollars contract! I don't think Mr. Montagliani has received even 10 applications. But I stand to be corrected.

well, every Joe Shmoe could send in an application. the numbers don't mean the quality of applicants

I have no doubt in my mind that the CSA would have received a large number of applications.

No matter what we might think of the state of the Canadian MNT program, this will be an in demand position. There are very few MNT jobs in the world to begin with and even fewer jobs available in countries where you have the type of conditions Canada can offer:

- a wonderful and safe country to live in

- a job where getting paid is assured and where the salary should be pretty good.

- a country that plays in a confederation where qualifying for the WC is challenging but feasible within reason.

- having a program budget that is workable if not generous.

So, while it is easy to be cynical, I do believe that this would be a very in demand job. Of course, whether everyone who puts their name forward is a good candidate is impossible to speculate. Time will tell who we ultimately get. I don't care if the new coach is available for this month's friendly but I think it would be ideal to have a coach in place for the Gold Cup.

well, every Joe Shmoe could send in an application. the numbers don't mean the quality of applicants

This is sadly, likely the case. While taking what was virtually an entry level qualification in Northern Ireland, another student mentioned how he was considering applying for the Canadian Technical Director's post which he had seen advertised. Some people are seriously deluded.

^

Agree 100% with VPjr

On other hand. Peter Nowak is unemployed. I think he could make a difference in MNT. PZPN (Polish Soccer Association) asked him to take over Polish U23, but they didn’t come to agreement. The rumor is that Mr. Nowak demanded $75,000 a month. The guy was very successful in USA, as a player and as a coach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piotr_Nowak

Nowak is a nutjob. See the mess with Philadelphia Union

I find it a tad concerning that they are accepting applications at all instead of aggressively identifying suitable candidates and then pursuing them.

Who knows here might be 2lists:

People that apply

And

People that the CSA pursues.

That way no one can say it was an unfair process. I just hope we hear some news soon.

Say we end up spending 500k per year on a coach. I hope we get him some Canadian assistants in order to learn the trade.

Maybe Holger Osieck knows someone willing to teach our guys. I still think he was one of the best coaches we had in last 20yrs.

Maybe Osieck will come back to manage Canada? Australia isn't doing too well and he might get fired or quit especially if they don't make it to World Cup.

The fact that the CSA is putting an extended amount of time into hiring a new coach could very well be a good thing. In the business world, the process for hiring new CEOs takes several months, and several interviews, and a lot of review of the applicants. Far too often in sports, and especially in soccer, are managers heads quickly knocked off causing a mad scramble to find a new boss within only a few weeks or days. Abramovic is the classic example, or any elite euro team that has a mildly disappointing major tournament. The fact that the CSA are taking a lot of time (hopefully) implies that they are taking careful consideration of the future of this team. Unfortunately for my point, I cannot back it up. I'm purely speculating; it may just be that there are no good applicants at all. I guess time will tell...

The fact that the CSA is putting an extended amount of time into hiring a new coach could very well be a good thing. In the business world, the process for hiring new CEOs takes several months, and several interviews, and a lot of review of the applicants. Far too often in sports, and especially in soccer, are managers heads quickly knocked off causing a mad scramble to find a new boss within only a few weeks or days. Abramovic is the classic example, or any elite euro team that has a mildly disappointing major tournament. The fact that the CSA are taking a lot of time (hopefully) implies that they are taking careful consideration of the future of this team. Unfortunately for my point, I cannot back it up. I'm purely speculating; it may just be that there are no good applicants at all. I guess time will tell...

Well I am guessing the later because this isn't the first time we've waited forever and ended up with a CSA guy (Mitchell, Hart, etc). I wouldn't be shocked if Fonseca got the job.

Of the CSA guys, how many of them were good, and how many of them were bad. I get the idea that this forum takes on a negative slant toward Hart, but he did give Canada one of its best records over a two year time frame. So was Hart really that bad of a coach? And what about Lenarduzzi, wasn't he both CSA and a good coach? Now that I'm bent on asking questions, I'm curious. How long did they wait to get Osiek?

Archived