Honduras - CANADA 16th Oct. 2012 Game Tread (R) KICK-OFF 4pm ET....1pm PT

canadianfoot

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many hours later and I cannot fathom what the hell went wrong. The moment that I saw the line-up I must admit I was perplexed. In a game where keeping our defensive shape was crucial, I could not understand why DeJong did not start over Ricketts. Not to say that this would have made ALL the difference, but it suggests to me that Hart got his overall strategy wrong.

I feel for our guys. Yeah, they cra.pped the bed today. Hell, they crapp.ed several beds. But I've a ton of respect for their commitment, especially when guys like Jono and Junior could not be bothered to step up and make a difference. We were so damned close this round. I know success is the only thing that matters, but I feel that we are indeed getting somewhere. We are probably another decade away, maybe less, but some of the young guys coming up--the super young guys--are pretty exciting. Hutch was great. JDG was very good. Johnson ran a lot. The backline was lost. I'd hate to question Big Kev, but sometimes the best leaders know when to admit they are not in proper shape to play. I think he should have sat out today. A head cold is not an insignificant thing to battle in the searing heat.

Yeah, Fonseca will likely get the nod, but we need somebody like a Herdman. I would have suggested a Bruce Arena, but I think he is too tired for international football. I like Arena over Bradley, to be honest. We need somebody who understands how to win in CONCACAF. A Mexican coach would be awesome.

God this sucks! I feel we've taken a slight step backwards today. I hope it is only a slight step.

Finally finished watching the game on DVR... we're a minnow, nuf said. Bye bye World Cup, bye bye Concacaf/Conembol championship, bye bye fringe players who didn't really want to play for us anyways.

I thought we hit rock bottom before, this beyond rock bottom. I'm not even sure if we can move forward from here. Complete and total embarrassment for the entire country. I suspect it could take more than a decade, if not forever to recover from this.

Finding it hard to look for any reason to continue to support this. Such a disgrace, I'm so ashamed of myself for telling anyone that I thought we actually had a chance to make the World Cup, what the hell is wrong with me.

I still can't get over the start. It could not have gone any worse. That first goal was awful. I don't blame Ricketts. Chances like that are missed all the time. It was the defending that was awful. You need to want that ball in the air. Our back line looked like they had cement in their shoes. Ricketts converting one of his two chances would have been a bonus. But EIGHT GOALS?? come on. that's clown defending, bro.

...and yeah I pumped up Canadian Soccer to co-workers and family too. Texted people today to watch the game. Now I wished I had listened to that inner voice. I mean, when I next tell people to watch, they're gonna laugh. Not that I care but it's just the feeling of missed opportunity -- sold out BMO crowds, JDG2, JH, mexico and USA rolling through...man, living in TO sucks for sports fans but the Canadian Men's National Team was a small bright spot that next year was going to be a supernova. tough to take, tough to take. eight years is a long time...

I have to agree with some of the comments earlier regarding "dual" players. No player with that choice will jump to the losing side. The CSA needs to clean this up. Any club with a full sized indoor field needs to be added to a National league designed for training players year round. I don't really care about age restricted leagues, at some point the boys have to play with men. U-21 leagues might be a waste of efforts. 50 games, give them 2 weeks off at Christmas. Play some games at 0C and others with the heat cranked up to 35C. We have to figure this thing out. Put our players into some of the most challenging situations. A final every other game. Our backs are always against a wall, every game will feel like a final until we get to qualify for 3 consecutive World Cups. We need more players, more skilled players at all positions.

...and yeah I pumped up Canadian Soccer to co-workers and family too. Texted people today to watch the game. Now I wished I had listened to that inner voice. I mean, when I next tell people to watch, they're gonna laugh. Not that I care but it's just the feeling of missed opportunity -- sold out BMO crowds, JDG2, JH, mexico and USA rolling through...man, living in TO sucks for sports fans but the Canadian Men's National Team was a small bright spot that next year was going to be a supernova. tough to take, tough to take. eight years is a long time...
I feel your pain, man. I've been through this way too many times, and this one hurts more if only because we were indeed one point away from advancing to the hex, something I have not witnessed since I became a close follower of the team many eons ago. (I was only 14 when we made it to the WC. I became a fan then, even though we did not score a goal or win a game. [Actually, we did score a goal but the freaking officials missed it.]

All this to say that the pain will go away in a little while and we will start to build hope again, especially through our young players, and when Gold Cup rolls around next year, we will get a bit excited at the prospect of winning a tournament, of checking out a new crop of young players, and we will rise in voice again, perhaps with trepidation, but we will rise!! Because what is building is real. What the Vees have done in the last four or five years is fantastic. And as our boys mature into great footballers, and in greater numbers than ever before, we will have every reason to tell our friends and families that we indeed have a football team worth checking out. This is only a blip. A freaking godawful shi.tty arseripping blip, but in the grand scheme of things just a blip. Our expectations are higher, which is fantastic. We will mourn for a while, and then we'll get back up and start building for the next campaign. We cannot give up on what we are achieving as a group because good things are happening at the development level and we must be ready to support the evolution. Support the evolution! We CANNOT be like Jono and Junior, only willing to step up and make a difference IF things are looking nice and rosy!! Nothing gets done if we wait around for **** to happen.

So, let's mourn for now. Let's get some rest and cry in our beer and do the things we need to do to get over this horrible result. And when the time comes for us to rise again, let's do so in full voice.

Vive le Canada!

If you are referring to Hoilett and JDG2, you're probably correct. Outside of those two, it's not the case. Otherwise, Cavallini would be have had a fit on the sideline and not entered the match. Interest will decline temporarily as there will be no more qualifying matches for us. However, next cycle, it will be a whole new day. This isn't that bad.

Those two pricks are part of the problem, their country needed them and they sat back and waited for the best opportunity!

Just got home now and saw the highlights. Heartbreaking. Thank god i couldn't get off work early today because i don't think my house would still be standing right now if I did. I just don't understand. I mean i really don't understand. I thought my buddies were joking texted me every 5 minutes with yet another Honduran goal. And to think that for the first time in my life i really pushed this team to friends, families, randoms, etc. All the tickets i sold for the south end(and kudos to all the vees for their outstanding work, if only the players had half the fire that you guys have in your hearts). The huge-ass banners i painted, the confetti, balloons all for this and got my buddies excited to take part in this. At least if they lost with some dignity, some heart, some signs of pride. I could of accepted two three nothing but this is unforgivable. Tactics shmactics, this goes mostly on the players. For the first time since i started following the national team I was able to convince my brothers, friends, parents and coworkers that this time things were different, that this time we had a solid team, that this time we wouldn't be the whipping boys that the general unpatriotic soccer public takes us for, they ****1n repay me(us) with this. I don't know what to say. 8-1. I have never even lost a men's league game 8-1 or won for that matter. I mean i know i will always be back to the games, and ill go nuts and ill believe and hope and paint banners but will the other guys who i tried so hard to get involved. will they? Not for a long time i'm willing to bet. this is why its so hard for people to follow the national team. this is just to much to handle. We dont have 23 guys in this country who can make it happen? How do countries like new zealend do it(regardless of their qualifying route)? fackkkkkkk. We have lost a million times before but this one just hurts to an all new level.

Lets start having friendlies in central america because this story is getting old about us not being prepared for the environment, or humidity or ****ty venues. Hire a winning coach. Make even more appealing ticket packages.

4 more years for the next cycle and its not looking too promising for at least a couple years. shoot me know.

Funny old game, the defense that played well against the US in that friendly and during the home games fell apart today and looked oh so slow. I like Simpson, DeRo, DeGuzman and Hutch and have a soft spot for Dunfield (thanks to his goal against Ecuador) and Occean...most of those guys will be too old for the next round but I'd keep them on the team so at least the kids coming in see some class. As for the rest, they're interchangeable, bring the kids in. Cavallini has looked really good every game I've seen him play, he's a keeper.

As for Hart, I was disappointed when he got the job. Nice guy, took the loss with class tonight, I like his emphasis on control and I hate the long ball but you need a motivator/manipulator for that job and he just doesn't have it. Also, sometimes early in games, drastic measures are required ie. substitutions or tactical changes...Ricketts was going to be nothing but a disaster obviously to anyone watching after ten minutes...yank him. I've disagreed with every coaching change the CSA has made with the men's team since Holger was ousted...stop being a bunch of cheap-asses and hire a real coach for God's sake.

Funny old game, the defense that played well against the US in that friendly and during the home games fell apart today and looked oh so slow. I like Simpson, DeRo, DeGuzman and Hutch and have a soft spot for Dunfield (thanks to his goal against Ecuador) and Occean...most of those guys will be too old for the next round but I'd keep them on the team so at least the kids coming in see some class. As for the rest, they're interchangeable, bring the kids in. Cavallini has looked really good every game I've seen him play, he's a keeper.

As for Hart, I was disappointed when he got the job. Nice guy, took the loss with class tonight, I like his emphasis on control and I hate the long ball but you need a motivator/manipulator for that job and he just doesn't have it. Also, sometimes early in games, drastic measures are required ie. substitutions or tactical changes...Ricketts was going to be nothing but a disaster obviously to anyone watching after ten minutes...yank him. I've disagreed with every coaching change the CSA has made with the men's team since Holger was ousted...stop being a bunch of cheap-asses and hire a real coach for God's sake.

I agree with a lot of this, for sure. And yeah, I would have stuck DeJong in early for Ricketts. (Actually I would have started DeJong). We needed a five-man midfield that was defensively impossible to break down. Hart was interim coach and in a sense continued in that capacity. Let's hire a Mexican. Honestly. Somebody who knows how to win in CONCACAF. A good Mexican coach, mind you. One who also knows the refs.

I agree with a lot of this, for sure. And yeah, I would have stuck DeJong in early for Ricketts. (Actually I would have started DeJong). We needed a five-man midfield that was defensively impossible to break down. Hart was interim coach and in a sense continued in that capacity. Let's hire a Mexican. Honestly. Somebody who knows how to win in CONCACAF. A good Mexican coach, mind you. One who also knows the refs.

Not trying to spam, but I agree with you. I made some points here http://newnonameblog.blogspot.com/2012/10/canada-mnt.html

Wow leaves you kind of speechless and it is hard to think of anything constructive to say without being angry. Curious where everything went down the drain. The first 2goals caught the players by surprise and they have lost faith then probably....

Craig Forrest laughing......curious to see if someone showed him highlights of today's game and asked for comment. And then showed him highlights of this: http://youtu.be/ohR9kECLu9U

I'll leave it at that, but guys like Jackson and Occean shouldn't get a free pass.

No they shouldn't, because it's their profession to score goals and they can't score them for Canada. Our defense held out for surprisingly long this campaign, considering how demoralizingly poor our finishing was.

How many sitters have this group completely ****ed up? If the team is unable to create chances, that's down to poor tactics. If the team is unable to finish chances, easy chances, then the players are ****ing ****.

Struggling to light up 10 man Cuba at home exposed us as a team that has no possibility whatsoever of going to the World Cup. Deep down we all knew this to be the case, but that for some reason thought that the football Gods, who haven't favoured us since that South Korean coin toss, would decide to sneak us in.

Oh well. So ends the charade. We are still very sh1t.

The nice thing about being a long time supporter, who was suffering from "battered wife syndrome"....but finally worked up the courage to leave my abusive husband, is that I'm now able to take a step back and take a more objective look at this team and program. Here are my closing remarks, I'll bid you adieu until 4 years hence:

1). The best rant in this debacle came from the poster who was going to burn all his clothes and weep in the shower with a bar of soap in his mouth....that's a fantastic image of despair, well done.

2). Steven Hart is a very nice guy, but nice guys usually finish last. He should man up, resign and force the association's hand to take some kind of restorative action. If he doesn't resign, then the CSA gets out of a pickle and can just sweep all this under the rug and hope we forget.

3). We can't score goals, or defend, and don't have the talent to produce resilient efforts away from home. It's a catch 22. If you aren't very good, you don't attract good players to make your program better.

4). Our fate was sealed when we couldn't score against Honduras at home. I've taken a fatalistic view of everything beyond that game and it's saved me a great deal of heartache and despair.

5). An 8 to 1 drubbing may require someone to engage more proactively in fixing the problems of this team which would not have occurred if we'd lost 1 or 2 nil.

Nuf said,

• 2 weeks later...

Archived