Honduras - CANADA 16th Oct. 2012 Game Tread (R) KICK-OFF 4pm ET....1pm PT

canadianfoot

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How does this set us back though? I don't think less kids will play soccer because of this. It'll be more status quo if anything.

Zero chance of any talented kid with duel citizenship opportunities to play for Canada. Hoilett will be declaring for Jamaica by tomorrow morning. Interest in the CMNT will plummet to all time lows. Zero silver lining here.

I'll give him this much, he has the class to take the blame.

Well, he's always seemed like a "good guy", just not a national team coach. Give me a jerk who knows how to get the most out of his players any day ... we don't have to have a drink with the coach, we have to advance.

How does this set us back though? I don't think less kids will play soccer because of this. It'll be more status quo if anything.

Well there's a couple of ways to look at it.

1) I think a reasonable opportunity exists at this time to grab people's attention. No hockey, increased visibility of the sport in general, etc... That stuff might not be there in the future.

2) sounds like we had some sponsors on the fence waiting for the result of this game. That money has now gone ka-poof. That impact will last a while.

3) For a lot of the general public this probably confirms what they thought previously: that this team isn't worth supporting. In that sense things are totally status quo.

My thoughts are that there is always the future, but a big opportunity in the present was missed, which shouldn't be taken for granted.

Zero chance of any talented kid with duel citizenship opportunities to play for Canada. Hoilett will be declaring for Jamaica by tomorrow morning. Interest in the CMNT will plummet to all time lows. Zero silver lining here.

+10000000

Yeah, this sets our program back 10 years, at least. Sponsors? HA! JDG2 ... ok, seriously. JH ... yeah, uh, ok, next. No one will want to touch us with a 100 foot pole.

Hart is a respectable dude, I really feel like hes done his best and done a lot of things that are positive for this program. He has made mistakes this round that are down to a lack of experience, and really are not acceptable mistakes to make (Honduras squad at BMO, never having a backup option for OO in camps) To be honest though he can't be blamed for today even if he claims it, this was a capitulation by the players, and even with an A+ effort offensively we were had our 2nd string out there and the drop off was massive. I thank Hart for his effort and service and hope he stays involved in the CSA but he obviously has to go after failing to get to the hex, especially after a game like that.

Hart is a respectable dude, I really feel like hes done his best and done a lot of things that are positive for this program. He has made mistakes this round that are down to a lack of experience, and really are not acceptable mistakes to make (Honduras squad at BMO, never having a backup option for OO in camps) To be honest though he can't be blamed for today even if he claims it, this was a capitulation by the players, and even with an A+ effort offensively we were had our 2nd string out there and the drop off was massive. I thank Hart for his effort and service and hope he stays involved in the CSA but he obviously has to go after failing to get to the hex, especially after a game like that.

My other worry .... who will want to coach us? Do we have any chance in hell of getting someone decent?

There's a million things we can point our finger at after this game, but I was seriously shocked that DeJong didn't start on the left side of midfield/attacking mid where Ricketts was. Then when I saw that Jazic was out and Klukowski was in, I couldn't believe it. That's one decision I couldn't see turning out right.

My other worry .... who will want to coach us? Do we have any chance in hell of getting someone decent?

We don't. Terrible programs with decent coaches only get them through $$. Something we don't have. We'll be stuck in the same cycle of under-qualified guys way over their heads.

I assume by "dual citizenship" kids you're talking about Hoilett and JDG2. Jamaica still needs to win in order to make the Hex while JDG2 has never said he'd play for us. It has always been JDG who's suggested it. Remember, we didn't count on either of them to advance in this round and we shouldn't putting the future of Canadian soccer on guys who are uncommitted.

Interest in Canadian soccer was cyclical. There was a lot of interest in the women's team for the WWC last year but that disappeared after we were knocked out. People were gutted about that too. But the hardcores remained and the casuals came back for the Olympics. I think it's the same with the men's team. We're losing some fans, yes, but my guess is that they're people who weren't on board until this round anyway. We're not going to lose people who've been with us since the start because those people have probably followed the team through web radio streams to choppy internet streams.

Ricketts shot it back, and it was JDG hit the post. Jackson is useless, and belongs at McD's.

No. The commentators got it wrong. It was Jackson that hit the post.

You are useless and belong at McD's.

Yes Jackson hasn't been at his best, but he has been nothing but dedicated and true to his Canadian colours.

I assume by "dual citizenship" kids you're talking about Hoilett and JDG2. Jamaica still needs to win in order to make the Hex while JDG2 has never said he'd play for us. It has always been JDG who's suggested it. Remember, we didn't count on either of them to advance in this round and we shouldn't putting the future of Canadian soccer on guys who are uncommitted.

Interest in Canadian soccer was cyclical. There was a lot of interest in the women's team for the WWC last year but that disappeared after we were knocked out. People were gutted about that too. But the hardcores remained and the casuals came back for the Olympics. I think it's the same with the men's team. We're losing some fans, yes, but my guess is that they're people who weren't on board until this round anyway. We're not going to lose people who've been with us since the start because those people have probably followed the team through web radio streams to choppy internet streams.

It's not a stretch to imagine there'll be other talented kids in the future like **********, Hoilett, JDG2, and Begovic. Any kid who is good enough to seek a cap elsewhere will continue to be advised to do so. As for Jamaica, its not hard to imagine that the Americans will beat Guatemala today. They're going through IMO.

It's not a stretch to imagine there'll be other talented kids in the future like **********, Hoilett, JDG2, and Begovic. Any kid who is good enough to seek a cap elsewhere will continue to be advised to do so. As for Jamaica, its not hard to imagine that the Americans will beat Guatemala today. They're going through IMO.

That's my point though. That stuff still happened before this cycle but losing today doesn't mean we'll see more of it.

If Jamaica goes through and Hoilett picks them, then screw him. We, as fans, wanted him just as much as the Jamaican fans. He chose them over us so next time he comes to Canada with a yellow jersey, we give him hell.

It's not a stretch to imagine there'll be other talented kids in the future like **********, Hoilett, JDG2, and Begovic. Any kid who is good enough to seek a cap elsewhere will continue to be advised to do so.

Absolutely. This is a cycle we need to break, and we got close and then ****ed it about as bad as anyone could **** it up today. Aleman will go to Costa Rica, Aird to Scotland, Vitoria to, well, no one ... he'll focus on his club career, etc.

Archived