Myth of General Admission seating

Admin

This is in fact a myth, and something we need to be careful with.

As much as people complain about security, the truth is in those hardcore sections they let us get away with a lot.

We do not, and never have had general admission seating.

The point of saying it has always been to accommodate drums, flags ect... that take up space. Such that if people are displaced they should expect it and we don't end up with a chain reaction of seat moving. I call it 'semi general admission'

GA would be a disaster for the supporters section. A total disaster, unless beer was five bux and the right people get to the stadium early.

Imagine what would happen if every person in the stadium that wanted to be in there just went, took up the first 10 rows and stood around waiting for everyone to 'be fun'

Stop telling people it's GA. Get tickets in the right section early. Don't buy tickets 24hrs before the game because you think you can go wherever you want. You can't.

Fair enough. My understanding was there was no real seat assignments within each section, assuming you were in the correct section (ie. If you were in 113, then just find any free spot to stand within 113).

If this is incorrect, I apologize for being one of the ones perpetuating that myth.

Fair enough. My understanding was there was no real seat assignments within each section, assuming you were in the correct section (ie. If you were in 113, then just find any free spot to stand within 113).

If this is incorrect, I apologize for being one of the ones perpetuating that myth.

That's the way it happens, but what we don't want is six guys who hear "oh this is general admission" at their first Canada game who have no idea what to do go take up the front row and then don't do anything to support the team.

I agree with all of this, but I think we need to show patience. People are going to be more likely to support if they have heard the chants before. It it takes a little while to get into it and even for people to open up.

I would guarantee that the people who were about shy about cheering for most of last game will be better next game. I know most of my friends were. We don't want dead spots in front of the Capo, but we shouldn't be too worried about the support from Friday, it was a great building block for Cuba and beyond.

I think that we should also brainstorm as to how we can really achieve "one voice". I sat between 113 and 112 and people were beats and measures ahead.

I agree with all of this, but I think we need to show patience. People are going to be more likely to support if they have heard the chants before. It it takes a little while to get into it and even for people to open up.

I think that we should also brainstorm as to how we can really achieve "one voice". I sat between 113 and 112 and people were beats and measures ahead.

Familiarity with the songs/chants is usually the main problem I'd think. If you don't know the songs well you are going to wait for a cue and sound does take some time to travel and the brain some time to process. People may not be able to anticipate the lyrics of songs very well yet. More drinking and practising needed! Maybe getting songs up on youtube so people can watch and sing along at home (assigning someone to film chants during the next match). If its not a familiarity problem and more about the rhythm, then maybe more or moving the drums?

Familiarity with the songs/chants is usually the main problem I'd think. If you don't know the songs well you are going to wait for a cue and sound does take some time to travel and the brain some time to process. People may not be able to anticipate the lyrics of songs very well yet. More drinking and practising needed! Maybe getting songs up on youtube so people can watch and sing along at home (assigning someone to film chants during the next match). If its not a familiarity problem and more about the rhythm, then maybe more or moving the drums?

As much as people hate to hear it at times, I think simple is better. If we had two or three extra simple chants it might add something to the atmosphere.

For the longer ones, I still think they are worth a shot and should always be attempted but gotta be realistic. For the most part, we still have problems carrying things over at club games and things are much less sporadic there.

As much as people hate to hear it at times, I think simple is better. If we had two or three extra simple chants it might add something to the atmosphere.

For the longer ones, I still think they are worth a shot and should always be attempted but gotta be realistic. For the most part, we still have problems carrying things over at club games and things are much less sporadic there.

I don't know if simple/complex is the only debate to be having with songs/chants. Of course the lyrics shouldn't be too complex, but if songs are able to stick in the memory they will have more success - in Argentina they usually take popular melodies and rewrite the words, the melody is popular because they stick in the memory and I've ended up walking down the street all the time singing the songs from the stadium. People aren't likely to walk down the street clapping "CAN_NA_DA" etc. The difficulty is getting the songs into the stadium for the first few rounds, with clear lyrics so others can figure them out and then sing along (well the first real problem is getting people willing to sing loudly, convincing them that its the "thing to do" to support the team, it just isn't in the culture of many people to sing in public).

I don't know if simple/complex is the only debate to be having with songs/chants. Of course the lyrics shouldn't be too complex, but if songs are able to stick in the memory they will have more success - in Argentina they usually take popular melodies and rewrite the words, the melody is popular because they stick in the memory and I've ended up walking down the street all the time singing the songs from the stadium. People aren't likely to walk down the street clapping "CAN_NA_DA" etc. The difficulty is getting the songs into the stadium for the first few rounds, with clear lyrics so others can figure them out and then sing along (well the first real problem is getting people willing to sing loudly, convincing them that its the "thing to do" to support the team, it just isn't in the culture of many people to sing in public).

I have to agree with the "popular tune" part of this.

Even though I was only present when the following song was sung once, in 2008 in Montreal, I still sometimes find myself walking down the streets humming:

"There's only one Deguzman..."

I have to agree with the "popular quote" part of this.

Even though I was only present when the following song was sung once, in 2008 in Montreal, I still sometimes find myself walking down the streets humming:

"There's only one Deguzman..."

There would have been more, but his brother's a whore...

This is in fact a myth, and something we need to be careful with.

I wish more people knew this. For the Honduras game, people were in my seats and would not move because it was "general admission", they said. Normally, this would not bother me, but I was with 3 others, and we had to split up.

Just for the record, can this be updated on the tickets page (last paragraph of 'understanding our section') to better reflect what's been said in this topic? A couple of people who bought tickets wondered if I was wrong for saying it wasn't really GA based on what it says

Our sections are effectively general admission. There is enough space for everyone, so just squeeze in. Coming late and getting security to move people out of your seats in very very bad idea. If you want specific seats, buy your tickets on Ticketmaster.

I don't know why people are over analyzing this so much. It's sporr, not science. The honduras friendly in montreal, we in the section, next to the voyageurs was hastily planned and general admission with no problems. There should be no real problems, instituting it when planned.

Sure our section was small at the start, but we easily doubled at half time. Plus places like montreal and other mls sections are general admission with no real problems.

Doing it naturally works out the problems, instead of such an in depth examination of the concept.

Do more, think less.

I don't know why people are over analyzing this so much. It's sporr, not science. The honduras friendly in montreal, we in the section, next to the voyageurs was hastily planned and general admission with no problems. There should be no real problems, instituting it when planned.

Sure our section was small at the start, but we easily doubled at half time. Plus places like montreal and other mls sections are general admission with no real problems.

Doing it naturally works out the problems, instead of such an in depth examination of the concept.

Do more, think less.

Based on what you wrote, the section in Montreal wasn't sold out. That's the main difference between Montreal and Toronto now. Back in the day, it was never a problem because the supporters section at BMO wasn't sold out however, now that we are selling out 3 to 4 sections, it's much more difficult.

Based on what you wrote, the section in Montreal wasn't sold out. That's the main difference between Montreal and Toronto now. Back in the day, it was never a problem because the supporters section at BMO wasn't sold out however, now that we are selling out 3 to 4 sections, it's much more difficult.

But that doesn't really change much.

people have mentioned the problems with instituting GA/ not knowing what GA is.... Just institute it, with advertisment from CSA or whatever when they sell tickets notifying people of it, and start doing it so people learn and the kinks get worked out.

General Admission is the only way to go for a section that is supposed to be one that sings/has flags/movement/fervent support.

Where's the unrestrained passion when you're restrained by something as pointless as a number in the seat.

But either way, I know what I say isn't really too important to this, yet the only way to work out the kinks, is to work them out in the stands.

EDIT:

The whole OP of GA would be a Disaster.... no, it wouldn't. In montreal, there have been some instances in the new MLS era of ****ty bodypainted tourists taking the first rows of 132 and such, that just get displaced because we as a group tell them with authority to not do that, or get out the first row.

Or you can at first instances of GA for Canada games just make sure the "right people" show up on time, avoiding the problem. Usually, if most people are rushing(which they never do) to get in the GA section known for singing and such, they will be keen on singing. It's not the 98 year old people that go to the section, displacing someone who would otherwise be singing.

And if someone is there, just squeeze in there too, after all, it'll be GA.

Unfortunately, it seems the problem isn't anything before the match; its people going into their section treating it as semi-GA and moving towards the unoccupied seats when they arrive and then other people showing up 5-10 minutes into the match with tickets in 114/115 etc and asking ushers etc. to go to their seats.

At least in the Panama game, at the start of the match the first few rows of 114 were all filled with people I know from here (e: by this I mean people in red, singing/cheering etc). Then people started filing in and claiming their seats in some of the rows in the front (rows 3-6 for the most part) which caused the issues.

Unfortunately, it seems the problem isn't anything before the match; its people going into their section treating it as semi-GA and moving towards the unoccupied seats when they arrive and then other people showing up 5-10 minutes into the match with tickets in 114/115 etc and asking ushers etc. to go to their seats.

At least in the Panama game, at the start of the match the first few rows of 114 were all filled with people I know from

So then the problem would be solved by it being general admission. The late people who don't get it wouldn't be displacing early, enthusiastic fan s if we didn't give the people the powers to do so. And if it was advertised as general admission, they wouldn't really be able to complain, since they were warned.

I think the half general admission makes sense. It gives us a way to control the message more, so when we tell people it's general admission. We can explain to them what they it is like, and what they should expect.

What happened in row 3 of 114 was a real pisser last time, and it was because a V didn't tell their friends what its like.

Archived