Le Toux traded

munseahawk

According to their twitter feed, Vancouver has made a trade with New York.

Vancouver Whitecaps ‏@WhitecapsFC

#WhitecapsFC acquire Jamaican international Dane Richards from @NewYorkRedBulls in exchange for @SebastienLeToux - http://ow.ly/cesgB

Not too sure what spawned this one, but my first impression is that New York got the better of this.

Lately I haven't rated Le Toux so I'm not overly upset. His technical ability was below par compared to most other players on the team, and has lead to some attacks breaking down. Plus, with Mattocks becoming the main striker for the 'Caps, it makes sense to have a winger with pace as well.

I'd probably shrug about the trade if it was just a straight swap, but considering we got allocation money that makes it even better. Plus, did we open up an international spot? In any case it seems like with Davide's move away, allocation money coming in, and a third DP spot available, we could be seeing a big name signing before the transfer window. I'm hoping anyway.

Richards is a solid player and LeToux has only 4 goals in 19 MLS matches of which 17 he played 90 minutes, one he played 89 minutes and there was only one in which he played not very long, 34 minutes. Those are not very good stats and Vancouver has a lot of strikers so to me it looks like the Caps win this trade. Le Toux may do well in New York especially when Henry returns but I think Vancouver has better strikers available so why not trade him for a decent asset.

Caps picked up Le Toux for allocation money then the caps trade Le Toux for a good winger and allocation money. I think the caps did well here. Le Toux was so one dimensional and I kinda figured that one of our strikers would be traded by the end of the year.

Huge deal, brings speed and width to a very narrow 'caps roster, and another Jamaican to the attacking group. Mattocks and Richards together could be blinding, can't wait for Saturday.

Loved Le Toux when he was here has the best work ethic in the MLS possibly and runs all day, too bad it couldn't of worked out better for him and the Caps. We need goals though.

I also like this move...they fill in where they lack, and give up where they had an abundance. Hassli, Mattocks and Le Toux all like the same part of the pitch...middle of the box. Giving that up to get a guy that works better out wide works, especially in their new 4-2-3-1 system. Richards fits better on the right side of the three than Le Toux did, costs less, and they get some cash. Pretty mickey mouse, how can you NOT pull the trigger?

Lately I haven't rated Le Toux so I'm not overly upset. His technical ability was below par compared to most other players on the team, and has lead to some attacks breaking down. Plus, with Mattocks becoming the main striker for the 'Caps, it makes sense to have a winger with pace as well.

I'd probably shrug about the trade if it was just a straight swap, but considering we got allocation money that makes it even better. Plus, did we open up an international spot? In any case it seems like with Davide's move away, allocation money coming in, and a third DP spot available, we could be seeing a big name signing before the transfer window. I'm hoping anyway.

Looked it up, Le Toux has a US green card so he counts as a domestic

LeToux brought an obscene work rate but not much more. I don't hold his lack of scoring because he was a winger and filled that role. His first touch, passing and judgement were very far down the list. I think most Caps were better than him in all 3 of those areas. In the ultra defensive matches he helped greatly by patrolling the entire right side, end line to end line. Very impressive. Richards is always one player I feared. He was a game breaker. Hope he enjoys Vancouver.

Best wishes to Sebastian.

Richards fits better on the right side of the three than Le Toux did, costs less, and they get some cash. Pretty mickey mouse, how can you NOT pull the trigger?

Richards makes more than Le Toux.

Richards makes more than Le Toux.

I just checked, you are right...I was mistaken I thought Le Toux was up in the $300k range, he's at about 170k. Actually not bad for a player like him. Richards is at 180k. Thanks for the correction Rudi, guess when I assume I make an ass out of u and me.

When i first heard of this deal, and the players involved, my first thought was that the Caps got the far better player. I was actually surprised that NYRB were willing to part with Dane Richards. The deal probably evens out more when all the "non player" considerations are tallied up.

Le toux has bounced around a bit and for the most part of his career, is synonomous with the USL/NASL. In MLS, he seems to look good upon his arrive with a club and then eventually gets moved. Seems to me like the type of player who can score but doesnt produce enough to make himself and untouchable because clubs always seem to think that they can get someone more prolific. This kind of reminds of Alan Gordon and other former USL/NASL players around MLS, in that they can show that they belong but cant seem to become integral parts in the league. I suppose that you can say that about the NASL players in general.

Le Toux under performed in Vancouver, no doubt. However, Richards hasn't exactly lit it up this year. If you've watched him play, it's clear he possesses pace, but no soccer IQ. All it takes is for an opposing LM, or LB to have some pace and he can't do anything.

Richards fits what the Caps need more than Le Toux. Le Toux was played out of position all year and it showed. He may have had the worst first touch on the team and so many plays died on his feet. He runs his ass off no doubt but Richards should give the lineup something they lacked over Le Toux.

Richards fits what the Caps need more than Le Toux. Le Toux was played out of position all year and it showed. He may have had the worst first touch on the team and so many plays died on his feet. He runs his ass off no doubt but Richards should give the lineup something they lacked over Le Toux.

Agreed, Le Toux was struggling with the ball at his feet all year. Richards will provide much more support for Mattocks and much more width for the entire front 4. So even if Richards just gets the defense to spread out more for us, it will at least give Robson much need time on the ball, and Mattocks the space to hit orbit more often.

Richards is more of a winger type that the Caps need. This also allows Robson to play centrally or wide left where he'll be more suited to using his left foot. Richards will give width, the "over the top" option (mostly from Koffie or Robson), any flicks from Hassli, and create some space in the middle for the entire team. This may keep YPLee more "at home" which I am not certain is great though. We'll see.

Moving Robson to left or even central means even less chance for Teibert though....argh.

Richards is more of a winger type that the Caps need. This also allows Robson to play centrally or wide left where he'll be more suited to using his left foot. Richards will give width, the "over the top" option (mostly from Koffie or Robson), any flicks from Hassli, and create some space in the middle for the entire team. This may keep YPLee more "at home" which I am not certain is great though. We'll see.

Moving Robson to left or even central means even less chance for Teibert though....argh.

I dunno man Le Toux was playing out right, Richards will be playing out right...not much changing. Robson was central in the 4-2-3-1 last couple of weeks anyways. Teibert's best chance comes in central defense pairing Koffie with Rochat moving back to his normal role, or taking over for Harvey in fullback... both include Harvey dropping out for him, and he's been playing well lately, so tough to say.

Rennie the last couple weeks has only used 1 sub. Would be nice to see him use his bench (ie teibert) more. But we're beating a dead horse here. Then again the dead horse likes to be beaten...let's keep beating it till Teibert gets onto the actual pitch shall we?

Archived