Ontario Newspapers

Robert

The following communication has been forwarded to 43 Ontario newspapers:

Difficult Times Already for the Newly Elected President of the Canadian Soccer Association.

The recent disclosure by CSA President Victor Montagliani that Canada’s governing soccer body, as late as last month, did not have the financial wherewithal to send the Women’s national team to the London Olympics and arrange an August friendly for the Men’s national team as it prepares for a crucial semifinal CONCACAF World Cup qualifying match against Panama, in Toronto, on September 7th is both shocking and embarrassing.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?3441-Canada-will-play-friendly-in-August

The lack of capital to support the Women’s drive for Olympic glory seems unfathomable when considering that the Canadian Women’s national team spent four months in Italy last year to prepare for the Women’s World Cup in Germany. It is also somewhat surprising to learn that with the federal funding derived from the “Own the Podium” program and the accommodations provided to athletes by the International Olympic Committee that the CSA still struggles with the costs associated with this venture.

However, without a doubt, the greatest disgrace is the fact that Mr. Montagliani still has not secured a friendly for the Men’s national team, as for the first time in over a decade Canada has a serious chance to advance to the Hex, the final round of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying. Making sure that such a match was in place as soon as possible should have been Mr. Montagliani first priority after taking office this past spring. With time running out, and still no opponent, date or location confirmed, it would be absolutely devastating to the Men’s program if Mr. Montagliani inattentive results in an announcement that his last-minute efforts to secure the much needed friendly have fallen through.

Based on the results of every CONCACAF semifinal group over the past four World Cup tournaments it usually takes 10 points to advance to the Hex. In turns out that on two occasions, JAMAICA (2010) and GUATEMALA (2002), even 10 points proved to be insufficient, and on only one occasion did a country qualify with less than 10 points, PANAMA (2006). The following are the results of the past three semifinal CONCACACAF World Cup qualifying rounds from which only the top-two countries from each group advance to the Hex, the final round of qualifying from which four countries can advance to the World Cup Final tournament.

USA – 15

T&T – 11

GUATEMALA – 5

CUBA – 3

HONDURAS – 12

MEXICO – 10

JAMAICA – 10

CANADA – 2

COSTA RICA – 18

EL SALVADOR – 10

HAITI – 3

SURINAME – 2

USA – 12

PANAMA – 8

JAMAICA – 7

EL SALVADOR – 4

COSTA RICA – 10

GUATEMALA – 10

HONDURAS – 7

CANADA – 5

MEXICO – 18

T&T – 12

ST. VINCENT – 6

ST. KITTS – 0

T&T – 15

MEXICO – 13

CANADA – 5

PANAMA – 1

HONDURAS – 15

JAMAICA – 12

EL SALVADOR – 9

ST. VINCENT – 0

USA – 11

COSTA RICA – 10

GUATEMALA – 10

BARBADOS – 3

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/southafrica2010/preliminaries/nccamerica/standings/round3.html

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/germany2006/preliminaries/preliminary=7761/index.html

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/edition=4395/preliminaries/preliminary=3881/index.html

By examining the last 10 semi-final CONCACAF World Cup qualifying matches that Canada has played at home, it quickly becomes clear as to why this country has failed to secure the 10 points needed to qualify for the Hex on each occasion. It is a direct result of not winning our home matches, as the following record shows:

12/10/2012 Canada _-_ Cuba

07/09/2012 Canada _-_ Panama

12/06/2012 Canada 0-0 Honduras

20/08/2008 Canada 1-1 Jamaica

06/09/2008 Canada 1-2 Honduras

15/10/2008 Canada 2-2 Mexico

13/10/2004 Canada 1-3 Costa Rica

04/09/2004 Canada 1-1 Honduras

18/08/2004 Canada 0-2 Guatemala

15/11/2000 Canada 0-0 Mexico

09/10/2000 Canada 1-0 Panama

16/07/2000 Canada 0-2 Trinidad & Tobago

Canada has only won 1 out of its last 10 semifinal CONCACAF World Cup qualifying matches at home.

Canada is currently on an 8-game winless streak in semi-final CONCACAF World Cup qualifying matches that are played on Canadian soil.

This unsuccessful record is not although surprising when one considers the number of international friendlies that the CSA has arranged to be played in Canada during that 12-year span.

In 2011 Canada played host to one international friendly.

In 2010 Canada played host to two international friendlies.

In 2009 Canada did not host any international friendlies.

In 2008 Canada did not host any international friendlies.

In 2007 Canada played host to one international friendly.

In 2006 Canada played host to one international friendly.

In 2005 Canada played host to one international friendly.

In 2004 Canada did not host any international friendlies.

In 2003 Canada did not host any international friendlies.

In 2002 Canada did not host any international friendlies.

In 2001 Canada did not host any international friendlies.

In 2000 Canada played host to two international friendlies.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/files/CSA_2012_yearbook_annuaire_pdf.pdf

Since 2000 Canada has hosted 8 international friendlies for the Men’s national team. That’s 8 international friendlies in 12 years, or two-thirds of a match per year. This is the worst average of any of the 208 countries that make up FIFA.

As a passionate enthusiast of Canadian soccer, I can not stand by quietly and watch another four years of the Canadian Men’s National Program get flushed down the toilet. Mr. Montagliani, I urge you to take whatever steps are necessary to ensure that arrangements for an international friendly are finalized, as soon as possible, before our crucial qualifying match against Panama in September. If the Panamanians, in their preparation for the match against Canada, are capable of arranging a warm-up match against Guatemala, then surely the CSA must be capable of the same? The Canadian Men’s Program deserves the same opportunities and support as you provide for the Women’s national team.

Robert Janning is the Vancouver-based author of: "Westcoast Reign, the British Columbia Soccer Championships – 1892-1905"

www.ballboypress.ca

Please feel free to publish this article in whole or in part. I will send one complimentary copy of my book to each Canadian daily newspaper that publishes this article.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please feel free to publish this article in whole or in part. I will send one complimentary copy of my book to each Canadian daily newspaper that publishes this article.
I've always found bribery a good way to get published. Tell me, did you have to copy and paste each paper's email address or have you got it setup so you can do it automatically again next week. Why Ontario papers? The BC media already have you figured out? Trying something where they don't know you?

Since we've proven that not everybody hates the women's program can I assume that is the end of Robert's survey?

Your communique is not expressive enough. Not enough conspiracy! Needs more. Where is the old profane, slandering Robert we all know and ...

It's not a Robert message unless somebody has grounds to sue. :)

I have very little understanding of your blogging, posting, or writing history Robert but your article above has a very important inconsistency. You cited Ben Rycroft's article as outlining a

"recent disclosure by CSA President Victor Montagliani that Canada’s governing soccer body, as late as last month, did not have the financial wherewithal to send the Women’s national team to the London Olympics and arrange an August friendly for the Men’s national team as it prepares for a crucial semifinal CONCACAF World Cup qualifying match against Panama"

when it actually does no such thing. In fact Rycroft in the article stresses quite strongly that, in Montagliani's words at least that there were never financial concerns when he says this:

"And on that note, he put to rest recent fears about preparation in this qualification campaign.

Montagliani confirmed to CSN that the men's national team will play a friendly in August as part of its lead up to the upcoming World Cup qualifier matches. As late as last month it was being suggested that the CSA would not have the funds to be able to send the women's team to the Olympics and arrange a friendly for the men. Something that set off alarm bells around Canadian soccer, when it became apparent that all of Canada's opponents would be playing at least one match. Montagliani says that isn't the case."

and then goes on to clarify it by saying this:

"Editor's Note:

"As there has been confusion over the wording in the second paragraph I would like to clarify a few things. It had been suggested to me last month (from a reliable source) that because the CSA was financially committed to sending the women's team to London that a friendly for the Men's team would not be possible. Stephen Hart's comments about a friendly not being imminent appeared to support that. Victor Montagliani, when asked, confirmed that it was never the case.

I hope this clarifies any confusion that has arisen from this article."

In other words, the article you've cited to back up what you are trying to say actually doesn't say that.

However, I agree that we need more friendlies, more funding ... more everything for the men's program and the other programs as well, and that it would be hard to argue against the idea that lack of friendlies as a preparatory device contributes negatively to the CMNT's performance.

This is just too much. I can't stop laughing. OMG, how many of these things have you actually managed to sell?

Seriously though, have you abandoned your "petition" thread already? Was pointing out that you're just going to try to use the results to bash the women's game again all it took?

I can't wait for tomorrow's edition of every paper in Ontario, it's going to be fun to read this article in the Imaginary Section.

In other words, the article you've cited to back up what you are trying to say actually doesn't say that.
That's the first thing I noticed, it does sort of stand out. Any editor who has enough time on his hands to perchance read the "communication" will split a gut laughing at the incongruity.

It's really nice to have such a loyal following. Some people apparently have nothing better to do all day long but to wait for a post from yours truly and react immediately. Now who has a work schedule that allows for that kind of response time? I mean the 12 minutes on the first response rivals 911 speed. Hopefully, there will be a CSA announcement real soon confirming a date and opponent for the Western Hemisphere friendly in August. Hhhhmmmm. Maybe I'll try Alberta tomorrow?

Hey Robbi, it's fun trying to decipher something lucid from your posts. It's like code breaking. And the best part is, with your new wolf in sheep's clothing approach, waiting for the inevitable profane filled invective and slandering that always comes out. You can't help it. It must be killing you to try and act normal.

When you use terms like "advance to the hex" people have no idea what you're talking about unless they're hardcore CONCACAF soccer fans (aka almost no one). This "article" you wrote is basically just a mashup of your 10 points rant and your oh for eight rant, but this time instead of having hardcore canadian soccer fans as your audience you're trying to unleash it on the general public who 1) won't give a sh*t, and 2) won't have any idea what you are talking about. What newspaper editor in his right mind would print an editorial of this length, and I say editorial because that's what it is. You are no different from the crazy person writing them daily complaints about teenagers skateboarding on the sidewalk, and that's how your editorial will be received.

It's really nice to have such a loyal following. Some people apparently have nothing better to do all day long but to wait for a post from yours truly and react immediately. Now who has a work schedule that allows for that kind of response time? I mean the 12 minutes on the first response rivals 911 speed. Hopefully, there will be a CSA announcement real soon confirming a date and opponent for the Western Hemisphere friendly in August. Hhhhmmmm. Maybe I'll try Alberta tomorrow?

Yeah, fancy that, people who are members of the forum browse the forum at various times of day.

So seriously, how many books have you sold? (giving them away doesn't count)

listen,

robert is doing the right thing here. he is taking it upon himself to try to change soccer in canada (csa). although all of us might not agree this is the way it should be done, he has done it and i applaud him for doing so. i would challenge anyone who does not like what robert has done and thinks they can better this - to go ahead and do so.

i would love to get a few people on radio stations talking about this - spreading the word... awareness for soccer in canada.

on a side note... i thought it was very interesting that mr. montagliani suggested that the csa does not need marketing! this is a massive X in my books. i don't think this can be farther form the truth and he has lost support from me already.

anyone who thinks they don't need marketing must have very little vision. it's an area that they can make more money - so when they complain about being cashed strapped, they are responsible for doing this to themselves.

just terrible! they never seem to learn

^ The problem with that is, if you continue to do it as abhorrently as Robert is, the cause is hurt for the rest of us who are trying to do the same thing but refrain from spamming soccer boards with the same axe to grind.

Your cause ends up looking like a joke to the masses at large if the arguments that are put out there aren't logical or thought out.

^ The problem with that is, if you continue to do it as abhorrently as Robert is, the cause is hurt for the rest of us who are trying to do the same thing but refrain from spamming soccer boards with the same axe to grind.

Your cause ends up looking like a joke to the masses at large if the arguments that are put out there aren't logical or thought out.

so who is working on the plan then?

listen,

robert is doing the right thing here. he is taking it upon himself to try to change soccer in canada (csa). although all of us might not agree this is the way it should be done, he has done it and i applaud him for doing so. i would challenge anyone who does not like what robert has done and thinks they can better this - to go ahead and do so.

i would love to get a few people on radio stations talking about this - spreading the word... awareness for soccer in canada.

on a side note... i thought it was very interesting that mr. montagliani suggested that the csa does not need marketing! this is a massive X in my books. i don't think this can be farther form the truth and he has lost support from me already.

anyone who thinks they don't need marketing must have very little vision. it's an area that they can make more money - so when they complain about being cashed strapped, they are responsible for doing this to themselves.

just terrible! they never seem to learn

Is this (bolded) true? I never heard that he said that. Even the men's HOCKEY team gets pretty good marketing. If anything doesn't need marketing in Canada, it's that, right? But then...how would people know the hockey games were on? I know...have a bus drive by with "See thee rise" on the side..THAT would tell them where to get tickets!

That was tongue in cheek, of course. More seriously, any advertisting is better than no advertising.

so who is working on the plan then?

That's not what you asked. You said, basically, that someone doing anything is better than those doing nothing. My point was that if that anything is done poorly, then it is not better and can in fact hurt the cause.

The fact of the matter is that creating spurrious arguments and illogical surveys is not nearly as effective as the developing working relationship with the CSA that started with Winnepeg Fury in 2008ish. One could make an argument that it could in fact hurt the improvements that have been made over the last 4 years. Beating a dead horse over and over again undermines the work that is being and has been done over the years. I'm not saying we're there yet but we're damn closer than we were in 2004. We're only going to get further if we continue working at it logically and reasonably.

The fact of the matter is that creating spurrious arguments and illogical surveys

Those are more politically correct and polite word than i was going to use to describe his arguments and surveys

Beating a dead horse over and over again undermines the work that is being and has been done over the years. I'm not saying we're there yet but we're damn closer than we were in 2004. We're only going to get further if we continue working at it logically and reasonably.

yes, and also, beating a dead horse stops getting my attention. At the end of the day we are a Soccer supporters group and forum. Other than the fact that we support the a national team, i don't see how or why it should be different than the Southsiders, Usector, RPB and UM02. We talk about the team, we attend the games, we organize our sections and tickets, we support teams, we discuss the line ups.... etc etc much in the same way as the other groups. Occasionally, the national associations becomes part of that discussion and talk. But this is a not lobby group and its not the to become one.

When i see the same dead horse beaten on and on and on for years on end (and, not listening and learning) using incorrect facts, pure ignorance or poorly understood arguments then i tune off and even get annoyed. Personally, i am at the annoyed stage or even beyond.

Those are more politically correct and polite word than i was going to use to describe his arguments and surveys

yes, beating a dead horse stops getting my attention. At the end of the day we are a Soccer supporters group and forum. Other than the fact that we support the a national team, i don't see how or why it should be different than the Southsiders, Usector, RPB and UM02. We talk about the team, we attend the games, we organize our sections and tickets, we support teams, we discuss the line ups much in the same way as the other groups. Occasionally, the national associations have to be part of that discussion and talk. This is a not lobby group.

When i see the same dead horse beaten on and on and on for years on end (and, not listening and learning) using incorrect facts, pure ignorance or poorly understood arguments then i tune off and even get annoyed. Personally, i am at the annoyed stage or even beyond.

That, and it's easier to initiate change from the inside rather than the outside. Anyone truly serious and intelligent should try to do that. Media has it's place for lobbying, but Robert, if you want to run for CSA president, or council on it, or something, that would be a much better approach than this, I feel.

Agreed. And it discredits us all.

this is what mr. montagliani said:

"There is absolutely no reason that we shouldn't be selling out World Cup qualifiers for our national team," he said. "And I don't buy that it's the CSA's fault for not marketing it correctly. If you are a fan of the game in Canada you should be out supporting your country when they play. Full stop. We've seen good growth in Toronto but it can still be better.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/opinion/2012/07/canadian-soccer-association-to-bid-for-2026-world-cup.html

i'm just so sick of people ignoring the fact that marketing IS NEEDED and this includes, tv, radio, appearances, social media and more. it will take a creative strategy and a damn good product. but there is absolutely no reason that a president doesn't buy the fact that insufficient marketing didn't have anything to do with drawing fans to the match. and as discussed before - the poor merchandise selection and set up at the game. this is ALL MARKETING!

yet we are planning 2026 bids... (which i do support) but if we can't market the team now, how will we ever do it for the world cup?

that's right... people will go because they will support teams other than canada!

the time is now. we need a plan.

but there is absolutely no reason that a president doesn't buy the fact that insufficient marketing didn't have anything to do with drawing fans to the match.

That's not what he said, though.

From the context of his quote, he's saying that it's not ENTIRELY the fault of the CSA's marketing efforts. And he's right.

The way i'm reading that quote, he's not saying that marketing is not needed. He's defending the CSA/Umbro marketing campaign ("See thee Rise") and saying that blaming their incorrect marketing is just an excuse for why Canadian soccer fans are not getting off their asses and coming to the WCQ games when the blame should fall on those fairweather fans.

That's not what he said, though.

From the context of his quote, he's saying that it's not ENTIRELY the fault of the CSA's marketing efforts. And he's right.

"I don't buy that it's the CSA's fault for not marketing it correctly."

That doesn't sound like "it is partially the CSA's fault for not marketing it correctly" to me. Your reading may vary.

this is how i break it down:

There is absolutely no reason that we shouldn't be selling out World Cup qualifiers for our national team,(i now understand what the voyageurs have all been saying for years)" he said. "And I don't buy that it's the CSA's fault for not marketing it correctly.(he put a marketing effort out and it didn't work) If you are a fan of the game in Canada you should be out supporting your country when they play.(frustrated that his first major task failed) Full stop. We've seen good growth in Toronto but it can still be better (i am envious of what toronto fc has done with partnerships and i don't understand why my effort didn't pan out)

Archived